View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1256 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2567561156120612461254125512561257125812661306 ... LastLast
Results 18,826 to 18,840 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Blog Entries
    well real or not if it works I will continue to practice SD. I will practice other things as well. I dont care if anyone approves or not. SD is an effective MA and is powerful in many ways. KC
    belief is a good thing. but you sound bitter. i'd be bitter too if i got dooped.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

This guy is apparently taking lessons from the Jake Mace school of question dodging:

He was asked where he learned his Eagle Claw from and his response is:

I've had a handful of instructors, and though I cherish all the teachings I am far from a "purist" where I tout any one particular lineage. I've been lucky to train with some really skilled teachers but I do the JKD thing and take what works, throw away what doesn't and do my own thing! Thanks for watching!
    .......................*facepalm*

I get that he can't say he does Shaolin-Do, but how about answering the question? Jake Mace answers things the same way. He says that he learned from a variety of teachers and trains in China a few times a year and "lineage isn't important".......

Can no one legally say "I learned X style(s) from Y person(s)"? I get that they can'ts say that they teach the ancient and copyrighted art of Shaolin-Do, but... c'mon.

What's with these former Shaolin Do guys that have cr@ppy moves, change their names, and start using YouTube to aggressive promote their bullsh!t??
    Last edited by Kymus; 06-06-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I don't know what to say about that.... modifying material from material that you learned from a man that probably made it up to begin with and then changing the name, and your own name, to distance yourself from the material's origins. Wow.

If you're going to keep doing and teaching SD, then be up front about it. Teach it the way you know it and the way it works for you and be honest about what you know and what it is. If you want to change it for what works for you personally, then have at it, but don't call it something else that implies a different origin.

Like I said early on, I will encourage my children to study martial arts, and if they want I will teach them what I know and what works for me, but they will know the origins as I understand them.
    I agree 100%. At least be honest about it. But, I'm sure his market isn't in the area of experienced martial artists, but kung fu n00bs. What he doesn't realize is that he's gonna get a cr@pton of trolls on his youtube page and likely become the butt of many jokes on Martial Arts forums because he's selling a lie.. a really bad lie that's even bigger than Jake Mace's lie.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

It's an old technique used by politicians; you don't answer the question that you are asked, you answer the question that you would have liked to have been asked, in a confident and forthright mannor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    This guy is apparently taking lessons from the Jake Mace school of question dodging:

He was asked where he learned his Eagle Claw from and his response is:

.......................*facepalm*

I get that he can't say he does Shaolin-Do, but how about answering the question? Jake Mace answers things the same way. He says that he learned from a variety of teachers and trains in China a few times a year and "lineage isn't important".......

Can no one legally say "I learned X style(s) from Y person(s)"? I get that they can'ts say that they teach the ancient and copyrighted art of Shaolin-Do, but... c'mon.

What's with these former Shaolin Do guys that have cr@ppy moves, change their names, and start using YouTube to aggressive promote their bullsh!t??
    Why can't he say he did SD, had a falling out with the system, is training in other arts too, and created his own thing based on what he knows? Simple, and probably wouldn't matter to the market of students he is seeking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries

What is the name of this shaolin Do form?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Golden Monkey Taunts the Tiger

Nah

No I am not bitter. But I have read this back and forth stuff so much and for so long i have been researching the important things in Life. and as I said real or not True or not it doesnt matter. i can fight using what i have learned in Sd and other arts I have studied and the forms whether traditional or not are dynamic and effective and powerful. so i will cont to cont. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Can you see the Karate Notice it is from Fujien

A Fool is Born every Day !

hmm

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Someone stated, Wuzu Quan is the root of Okinawan Karate.

Blog Entries
    Can you see the Karate Notice it is from Fujien
    http://youtu.be/epMjrx78Bwo
    i saw kung fu. i saw no karate. no karate is ever gonna have the flow these guys had. karate always looks like the retarded step child to kung fu parents.

I'm with HSK.

There are some direct movements that look very similar to Karate's rigidness, but the flow and circular movements that are in there as well are hallmarks of Kung Fu. Further, they have jing and their movements are well done. It doesn't look like someone that's just waving their arms around; that's one of the biggest criticisms that I have of most SD forms I've seen. The other being odd McDojo-like moves; Jake Mace's videos have these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXGh7ltxuyI

This guy has better kung fu than 99.9% of the kung fu people out there, but it's karate.

The problem is with SD is not that it looks like karate, it looks like bad karate people doing kung fu they learned from a book, horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Córdoba View Post
    Someone stated, Wuzu Quan is the root of Okinawan Karate.
    This Wuzuquan? http://youtu.be/nVdANNX2zP4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXGh7ltxuyI

This guy has better kung fu than 99.9% of the kung fu people out there, but it's karate.

The problem is with SD is not that it looks like karate, it looks like bad karate people doing kung fu they learned from a book, horribly.
    I'm a big fan of Toyama Sensei. I agree the majority of today's SD students look bad. But there are some who look very good. But most, if not all, are old school guys from way back. There are numerous reasons for this.