View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1217 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 21771711171167120712151216121712181219122712671317 ... LastLast
Results 18,241 to 18,255 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    i could be wrong but non that i know of

We talking legends, stories, oral traditions? Or we talking well established facts? For the former, I think Bak Mei would be the most famous example. As for the latter, I have no idea. Were there any actual traitor monks that we can show to be true with relative certainty? I really don't know. My standards of proof are pretty high though. A bunch of doc and papers may/or may not be enough. But one thing I will say, if you think about it, the odds are that there were probably many traitorous monks. People do crazy stuff under duress. Maybe their fam was held captive and they were asked to provide information, maybe unlock a gate, whatever. I have little doubt that there were traitors. In fact, I bet there are some now. Gov. plants with an agenda. On some influence and control shit. I mean we all know that the Shaolin Temple is a sad shadow of its past glory. I'm sure some of the monks are 100% genuine(in their hearts, probably not in skill and wisdom) and just suffer fools to keep Shaolin alive.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Just us peons...
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I am working because I love it! I have two personal training clients this morning and one martial arts lesson.
    Work sucks.

Find a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life.
    I haven't worked since I stopped being an electrician. Now I create!

Blog Entries
    We talking legends, stories, oral traditions? Or we talking well established facts? For the former, I think Bak Mei would be the most famous example. As for the latter, I have no idea. Were there any actual traitor monks that we can show to be true with relative certainty? I really don't know. My standards of proof are pretty high though. A bunch of doc and papers may/or may not be enough. But one thing I will say, if you think about it, the odds are that there were probably many traitorous monks.
    no you're right. i'm so focused on HSCLF that it slipped my mind. there was one some time back he was disgruntled and set something on fire. i forget the details.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

"Not so fast" re: Chinese Communist history

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    I wasnt either, I'm sure he was born in Indonesia. The history story that Bruce posted says he was born in 1943, then goes on to say that his parents "fled China after the commnunist party came to power". That happened in 1949. It's just another example of poor attention to detail on the part of the SD story tellers. They are trying to add a detail which makes the story sound more authentic, but get history wrong trying to do it. Even if they used wikipedia for a minute or two, they would know better. It's frustrating. I don't know why they couldn't just tell the truth about Sin The, whatever that is. Keep it simple and there is less for people to gripe about. If you don't know the dates for things, don't try to make historical references in the story which might not be correct.

"Sin The was born in 1943 in Bandung, Indonesia, to a family of Chinese immigrants. He studied martial arts in the school of Ie Chang Ming, another member of the Chinese community in Bandung. In 1964 he came to the University of Kentucky, where he made the decision to stay in the United States and teach martial arts full-time." That is all it needs to be, and there would be nothing to gripe about.
    Its been said his family fled China when "the communist party came to power." Historically PRC founded by Mao in 1949. But the Communists had been fighting for power in China for decades. According to many sources (Wikipedia, as Leto suggested, FWIW, quoted below), Communist Party in China founded 1921, went through 2 "civil wars," ending up in the final push to power from 1937 to 1949 or so.

"During the Second Sino-Japanese war (1937–1945), the CPC and KMT were temporarily in alliance to fight their common enemy. The Communist government moved from Bao'an (Pao An) to Yan'an (Yenan) in December 1936.[8] The Chinese Workers' and Peasants' Red Army became army groups belonging to the national army (8th route army and New 4th Army), and the Soviet Republic of China changed its name as a special Shaan-Gan-Ning administration region (named after the Shaanxi-Gansu-Ningxia provinces at the borders of each it was located). However, essentially the army and the region controlled by CPC remained independent from the KMT’s government.
    In eight years, the CPC membership increased from 40,000 to 1,200,000 and its military forces - from 30,000 to approximately one million in addition to more than one million militia support groups.[9][citation needed]
    It is a well accepted idea that without the Japanese invasion, the CPC might not have developed so fast. This accelerated development is attributed by some[who?] to the lack of attention the CPC paid to the war against Japan, they argue that the Chinese Communists took advantage of the KMT's preoccupation with the Japanese to gain an edge on the nationalists. This, however, can not be entirely true as the Chinese Communists did wage costly guerrilla wars against Japanese occupied areas.[citation needed]
    [edit]Third Civil Revolution periods (1946-1949)
    After the conclusion of WWII, the civil war resumed between the Kuomintang and the Communists. Despite initial gains by the KMT, they were eventually defeated and forced to flee to off-shore islands, most notably Taiwan. In the war, the US supported the Kuomintang and the USSR supported the CPC, but both with limited degrees. With the Kuomintang's defeat, Mao Zedong established the People's Republic of China in Beijing on October 1, 1949."

Again, many things in SD history to fault, but I'm not sure that calling it a "lie" to say his family fled to avoid the Communists, even if well before 1949, isn't just splitting hairs. I suspect the Country wasn't pleasant for avowed capitalists in the years leading up to actually taking over, and getting out while the getting was good, as they say, is not inaccurately described as "fleeing the county when the Communists came to power."

Just an historical point that might defuse some of the criticism of that point, at least. I know there are others.

And here we are (sorry, "I am") on Xmas Eve debating Chinese-Communist history. I hope the kids get to bed soon so I can finish wrapping presents -- i.e. doing something really productive. Happy Holidays to everyone.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Emails....

All those who sent me email addresses, you were just sent a Christmas present an hour or so ago.....merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!

Merry Christmas!!!!! And peace on Earth, good will toward men.
    Last edited by themeecer; 12-25-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

I hope everyone had a Very Merry Christmas!!!!
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

It was far better than I deserved.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    im in the process of completing my book. The clf world does have some shady people in it too. I have my reasons. Don't believe a word i say, but the others know whether i know a thing or two.
    Look forward to your book

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    There is the whole Chinese opera thing during the persecution.
    Didn't Jackie Chan start out in Chinese Opera?

I think Sammo Hung as well.
    Last edited by JSE; 12-26-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced.

Blog Entries
    Look forward to your book
    THANKS. its about Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut and the direct lineage i belong to. it focuses on the history as well as newly found info about the green grass monk and Hung Sing's relationship to the Hung Mun, background info our my lineages elders and it will also focus on classical usage in addition to modern usage of Hung Sing CLF.

HSKWarrior, you should make sure to include the whole 5 elements form in there just for posterity. I really doubt anyone would steal it and claim it as their own in this day and age
    -Golden Arms-

Shaolin Tai Chi

I found this posted by Gene Ching in the what is known about Shaolin Kung fu,

According to the book Shaolin Monastery, by 1904 the Shaolin Temple was in ruins and Kung Fu was no longer being practised there. In 1928 the temple burnt for the first time, for 40 days, and didn't really recover until the 1980s. Going back to the Ming-Qing transitional period hundreds of years earlier, Shahar attributes 2 known manuals to earliest Shaolin teachings at the monastery, which includes acupuncture and pressure points. Drunken style most likely originated at the temple as well.

However, between the Ming-Qing and 1904 there is no mention of what Shaolin Kung Fu actually was, though there are listed a number of martial arts styles that were developed in close proximity to the monastery, say about 30 miles away, and could have been developed at Shaolin, but there is no way of knowing for sure. One example was Tai Chi, which I heard closely resembles Shaolin Kung Fu. And a lot of the styles Shahar mentions got tied mythically to the Wudang legends.

So I find this interesting for all those who say Tai Chio wasnt at shaolin. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

dejavu...

This was just posted on our new What was known about Shaolin Kung Fu prior to the 20th century? thread by nooB falkor.
    Quote Originally Posted by falkor View Post
    According to the book Shaolin Monastery, by 1904 the Shaolin Temple was in ruins and Kung Fu was no longer being practised there. In 1928 the temple burnt for the first time, for 40 days, and didn't really recover until the 1980s. Going back to the Ming-Qing transitional period hundreds of years earlier, Shahar attributes 2 known manuals to earliest Shaolin teachings at the monastery, which includes acupuncture and pressure points. Drunken style most likely originated at the temple as well.

However, between the Ming-Qing and 1904 there is no mention of what Shaolin Kung Fu actually was, though there are listed a number of martial arts styles that were developed in close proximity to the monastery, say about 30 miles away, and could have been developed at Shaolin, but there is no way of knowing for sure. One example was Tai Chi, which I heard closely resembles Shaolin Kung Fu. And a lot of the styles Shahar mentions got tied mythically to the Wudang legends.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Shaolin Tai Chi
    I found this posted by Gene Ching in the what is known about Shaolin Kung fu,

So I find this interesting for all those who say Tai Chio wasnt at shaolin. KC
    shaolin may have picked up tai chi somewhere but it doesn't mean sin the legitimately learned it.

In China, t'ai chi ch'uan is categorized under the Wudang grouping of Chinese martial arts[3] — that is, the arts applied with internal power.[4] Although the Wudang name falsely suggests these arts originated at the so-called Wudang Mountain, it is simply used to distinguish the skills, theories and applications of neijia ("internal arts") from those of the Shaolin grouping, waijia ("hard" or "external") martial art styles.[5]
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 12-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Kwaichang, are you implying that either the 24 taiji or the "Yang" style form (which comes from Zheng Manqing) that Shaolin Do practices may have been practiced at Shaolin? If you believe that bull**** you are waaaaay off and need to research the origin of either of those two forms.