View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 93 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 438391929394951031431935931093 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by TWS
    All i will say from my end is that before i joined SD i was being taught by a disciple of the Ng family school(he is a good friend and still is) my teacher also studied and is a good friend of the instructor who was at that famous tournament that everyone labels Ng vs SD.

i have mentioned this before in past threads but when i was at SD and i was asked who i studied with befire and i dropped those names,,people got all bent out of shape and thought i was some sort of spy come to steal thier forms and cause trouble(how ironic though,stealing forms and causing trouble),,sigh oh well i quickly dispelled all that bullsh!t because at the time i had no clue that there was any rivalry between SD and the Ng school. wished i had just said " oh my god ya caught me,,im so ashamed,,time to go back to kentucky
    I am beginning to believe that Willow is nothing more than a satire. He always seems to pull another shocking rabbit out of the hat when ever things die down.

What puzzles me is the part about him dropping names and the people getting bent out of shape. I seriously doubt if anyone in Texas (where he said he took SD) was around or can even remember the dispute and if so, it would have to be Joe.

Yep, it just keep getting fishier and fishier.........
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

So, basically, martial artists fought for honor. Then I'm proud. Anyway, I've heard similar tales of events at other locations. I won't mention details. But we should all stop acting embarrassed or angry about such occurrences. This sort of thing has happened for a LONG time, and is the reason we martial artists enjoy such passion about what we do, whether we are Shaolin-Do, Northern Mantis, "modern" Shaolin, or whatever. So, on to more enlightening subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonflyDaoist
    This sort of thing has happened for a LONG time, and is the reason we martial artists enjoy such passion about what we do, whether we are Shaolin-Do, Northern Mantis, "modern" Shaolin, or whatever. So, on to more enlightening subject matter.
    Exactly.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

What happened to the thread "Is Shaolin for real"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Yeah, that's right. "Modern" Shaolin. I say that because I can't personally say with confidence that the stuff being taught by the monks in NYC, Houston, and other cities is any older than the last destruction of the temple at Song Shan. Just like no one can say with absolute certainty that SD wasn't brought out of the temple at Fukien. (To be fair, I know that not ALL of SD came from Fukien.) So, if we SD folks have to listen to the doubts of non-SD people here just so we can associate with each other on this board, non-SD people will simply have to realize that other systems (even "well-respected" ones) may not be everything they are thought to be.

Understand, I'm not picking a fight, or asserting the validity of SD, or anything like that. I'm really just being fair to all parties.

Before someone starts down the anti-SD road again, let me say that I don't care if SD history is debatable. I don't care if GM Sin gained a little weight back in the 80's and followed an Arnold program to get back in shape. I don't care if our sets are different from other gong fu systems. All that is BS to me. What matters to me is that the techiques and philosophies I've come to understand work for me and work for others. I also find the comraderie of my fellow students and my Master to be invaluable. My entire SD experience has been fun, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I don't get all worked up over the intra- and inter-school/system petty politics. I gave my Master my money so that I could train and learn, and I have gotten more than my money's worth. Now, if some of you guys want to get caught up in all the "my uncle did your mom last night" BS, go ahead. But that sort of thing will only detract from your life experience.

At any rate, I wish you all the best, whether you are friend or enemy of SD. I hope your pursuits are fruitful, and that you find and enjoy what you want.

What puzzles me is the part about him dropping names and the people getting bent out of shape. I seriously doubt if anyone in Texas (where he said he took SD) was around or can even remember the dispute and if so, it would have to be Joe.

Yep, it just keep getting fishier and fishier.........

I have ALWAYS been Honest here on these forums. People can vouch for that. I have made my challenges here and i have stepped up to them,,wether i got my ass kicked or not is not the issue.
    i have Always shared my Knowledge here on the forums honestly and i have lied about NOTHING.

Here was the deal as it went down:

Early on in my Sd days i was asked by a student there(who was actually a friend of my mothers{they went to school together for occupational therapy}) who it was that i studied from before. I told him that i was taught by a disciple of the Ng family system who in turn studied with one of thier main instructors at the time "John Dufresne". After that this student at SD decided to go and tell "Joe" about it and then joe confronted me in the back alley of the old school location as i was training and told me something to the extent of " uhh jason we have a serious problem,,,he then proceeded to tell me in general about the rivalry between sd and the Ng school and john dufresne,,and that he had also called grandmaster sin on this matter as well,,and i was directly confronted by joe as to wether or not i was some sort of "spy" come to make trouble or "steal" thier forms.

well i can tell you i had a big question mark on my face from the get go and was like "HUH"? well to make a long story short i quickly dispelled the bullsh!t and told joe that like my previous teacher that all i was interested in was learning forms and training and that i tried as best as i could to keep myself away from the petty Politics between schools.
    Joe was convinced and life went on. I DID, however Immediately call up my previous teacher and told him what the deal was and he laughed and proceeded to tell me the whole story about the Ng Sd BS from way back.

So is this fishy now GT,,am i still satire to you? like i even give a rats fuk what you think anyway. but as far as my integrity is concerned it is solid here which is alot more than i can say for some in your organization based on what a bunch of us already know and who have experienced first hand.

Peace,,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

blah blah blah, I don't care about school rivalry or any of that BS. Waste of time.

On another note, I saw the video for the Hsing Ie sword, and it's pretty awesome.

well at least he had the common courtesy to discuss it in the back alley, not in front of other students/instructors. One thing that still bugs me is that the SD school i go to, seems to put other schools down.
    Last edited by Jhapa; 03-27-2005 at 09:58 PM.

"On another note, I saw the video for the Hsing Ie sword, and it's pretty awesome."

How would you know? I've seen SD Xing-yi. It's not.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

On another note, I saw the video for the Hsing Ie sword, and it's pretty awesome.
    I attended the seminar, yes it is awesome. The tape is nothing compared to the seminar itself.
    The stronger you become in mind and body the more responsibilities you must endure.

Willow,

You live in KY and train with Ng people now. Do you know either of the Pickens brothers?
    The stronger you become in mind and body the more responsibilities you must endure.

Serene Dragon

I still live here in Texas. I have never met the Pickens brothers,,but i know of them and who they are.

AT some point i will be making a road trip to the land of Kenfunky and who knows what may come of that adventure. for now i have to stick to my resources here in teehas.
    Peace,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Since Sin has modified the system, adding new forms, allowing the short forms to "evolve" (as GT says), technically, you guys are doing "modern" Shaolin-Do anyway.
    OK, everyone. In an effort to avoid offending the sensitive, I propose that we use only meaningless designations to discuss individual fighting systems. SD could be E82309824r5, Shorinryu could be oiuwer878024r5, etc. Would anyone like to second the motion?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySlap Too
    "On another note, I saw the video for the Hsing Ie sword, and it's pretty awesome."

How would you know? I've seen SD Xing-yi. It's not.
    WARNING: THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENTATIVE STATEMENT

MonkeySlap, how is SD's Xing Yi different from others? I'm a big fan of the internal arts, and I'm curious about the differences between the system I study and others out there.

The main difference in the make up of the form itself that I saw was that there were some extra movements added in like some stationary chain punches at the end of a beng quan and extra little flowery movements with the body. I don't have the vid anymore and it was quite awhile ago, but that's what stands out most from my memory. Took a few viewings, but it turned out to be close in sequence to the linking form I've seen in Li Tian Ji's Skill of Xingyi Quan book (based on Hebei style, I think?).