View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 119 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 19691091171181191201211291692196191119 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

i saw some of those shaolin do guys at the park one day...they didnt do much while our class was there filming, but i saw a bit.

one guy seemed like he may have had some mean kicks, and the other guy used a dao, and a kwan dao. his movements reminded me more of japanese influence with the dao, no tight wraps, not many circular movements. and the kwan dao....lets just say its not like our kwan dao.

i wont place a judgement on a martial style, because thats wrong. We all know, have heard, and have said, that is the practitioner not the style....

we wear kung fu pants, kwons, and tee shirts with the Wu character on the back and our school name and moto on the front in small characters.

the kung fu pants are very tough, and i normally wear tee shirts out side school, even i wear kwons. Basically we dress like normal people do. with kung fu style.

i dont seem to understand the terminology mixture in SD. It confuses me.

i dont really want to sift through 90 pages of shaolin do material looking, so if possible would someone post a vid of a shaolin do, um kata, that the feel is a good representation?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Suppose tomorrow, your teacher decides to switch uniforms. Let's say from whatever you wear to a gi (assuming you don't wear a gi already). Do you follow his example? Do you say "you're a big phony, I'm outta here"? Which do you do.
    Yes, I would.... j/k

If I remember correctly, the "Judge Pen" is a weapon that Grandmaster Sin was giving seminars on a while back.
    Yes it is but no he hasn't.

I think that he did a demonstration, but I'm not aware of any seminars on Judge's Pen.
    It was a set of steel chop sticks, not a "Judge Pin " per se...although.....

Quote Originally Posted by cbishop
    haven't piped in. sorry to be an @ss..
    Then don't be. You should never do something that you are sorry for. Btw, I can't open the links but if they are t4he vids I am thinking of, yep, they suck. But for the record, I once heard a cover of "Stairway to Heaven" that sucked too.....

so if possible would someone post a vid of a shaolin do, um kata, that the feel is a good representation?
    I soon will be able to transfer vid to files so I will see what I can do. (JP, I remeber you wanted some things, care to refresh my memories?)
    Last edited by Golden Tiger; 09-16-2005 at 05:43 AM. Reason: addition
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by cbishop
    haven't piped in. sorry to be an @ss.. but, shaolindo sucks. how do i come
    to this conclusion??

exibit A
    tigercrane
    I remember that video bothered me. I know this form. I play it differently. I've done it in front of people who have an independent understanding of Hung Gar and they told me that it's not bad, but they believe that Hung Gar plays it differently than I do. So, the point, I guess, is that SD's Tiger/Crane is different than mosts (no surprises), but is good in it's own way. I've never had anyone that really knows Hung Gar tell me how, though. I don't think that video is a great represntation though.

Sean, I'll step up to the plate. With my teacher's permission, I'll do the same portion of this form and post it here if you will film it and help me post it (I'm severely technology challenged). I'm not saying it's good, but I believe it to be better. I'll even critique myself as to what I think I do well and what I should do better. I've only had the form for about 9 months and I'm still polishing up various elements of it.

Oh, I might as well put up San Njie here to as I promised Vash that months ago and never was able to have it filmed.

Now, let's hope I don't turn into hedge (bullshido reference) and say I'll post and never do. It will be a while before I can get down to Atlanta and film and get Sean to post) Work, closing on house, holidays etc., but eventually. . . .

GT, PM sent.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 09-16-2005 at 06:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

much respect for stepping up to the plate there. mind you that my grievance
    is with misrepresentation of the name shaolin and teaching of training methods
    which are not well understood. i have heard (from trusted sources) that most
    shaolin do guys do train application and spend a good deal of time hashing out
    those ideas in sparring sessions.

i think shaolin do practicioners would do well to find out how these forms
    are trained and applied from someone who actually trains it as a primary art
    and not a hodge podge of different arts and energies. otherwise.. as
    enrique would say, "your sh!t is fake!!!"

in regards to the Gis. judo gi is great for throwing. very sturdy.
    i've also found that a $25 d!ckies jacket is very sturdy and will do just
    about the same job for most guys. (not judoka of course)
    my point is that equally suitable uniforms could be arranged with western
    style clothing (or middle eastern for that matter). so, why choose japanese?
    it's not for me.. but, hung yi xiang taught his chinese xing yi students wearing
    a japanese gi and he WAS a bad@ss.

did hedge back out on you too ?? i drove all the way to austin from
    okc, and the little punk wouldn't meet up. didn't stop him from talking sh!t though.
    Last edited by cbishop; 09-16-2005 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan

i cant even manage to come up with an answer as to why that tiger/crane was so bad. very similar to a section in a tiger/crane i know, but he had no technique at all. I wonder if he knows any of the applications to what he is doing...
    It's similar enough in outward appearance to the first section of Tiger and Crane as taught at my Kwoon in Canada to be recognizeable but, I agree, it was like the bloke knew no application at all. He also had no stability, he wobbled all over the place kind of aimlessly.

Again though I must say that I am unwilling to judge a whole school off of two short vids. I look foreward to Judge Penn's take.
    Last edited by SimonM; 09-16-2005 at 08:40 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

judge pen, sorry to reply to your pm here.. but everytime i write a big fat
    pm response my browser locks up, and i lose everything..

i'm not in austin, but oklahoma city. i just drive down to texas to find
    other fighters of various schools to mix it up with. my older brother teaches
    in san antonio, and he's my main source regarding ShaolinDo(n't).

sorry so short. my pm were much longer.. promise!

i'm betting that once you find sumdumgoy, you'll drop the gi AND the shaolindo
    name.

I don't wear a gi anymore. My teacher's schools wears the frog button tops for a formal uniform.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

JP - how the Tiger/Crane is played differently is pretty easy guess - the SD method probably does not have any of the 'hay gung' skills distinctive to Hung Gar. Kind of like if you learned it out of a book without ever seeing it live...

I'm looking forward to seeing clips of 'good SD' - as we have yet to see it, even in the clips from Sin The'!
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySlap Too
    I'm looking forward to seeing clips of 'good SD' - as we have yet to see it, even in the clips from Sin The'!
    "good SD" is an oxymoron silly boy........ How about some exciting MS2 clips?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySlap Too
    I'm looking forward to seeing clips of 'good SD'
    I never said it would be good. I said that it was certainly different than the clip and, in my opinion, better. I'm not couting on changing anyone's minds here, but I'm one of the most vocal SDers here so why shouldn't I step up and show what I have. I'm average at best, but I work hard and I'm stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    Sean, I'll step up to the plate. With my teacher's permission, I'll do the same portion of this form and post it here if you will film it and help me post it (I'm severely technology challenged). I'm not saying it's good, but I believe it to be better. I'll even critique myself as to what I think I do well and what I should do better. I've only had the form for about 9 months and I'm still polishing up various elements of it.

Oh, I might as well put up San Njie here to as I promised Vash that months ago and never was able to have it filmed.

Now, let's hope I don't turn into hedge (bullshido reference) and say I'll post and never do. It will be a while before I can get down to Atlanta and film and get Sean to post) Work, closing on house, holidays etc., but eventually. . . .

GT, PM sent.
    You're covered. Get me the initial media & I'll take it from there.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Media

What kind of camera would be easiset? I don't have one and I will need to borrow of buy a camera anyway.

hey guys check out these new songs I've done if you get the chance.

I make music under the name MIZRI

links to the songs are here .

(1) FU JOW

(2) AZN GRLZ

you can also check out AZN GRLZ at this site

Godbless,
    Mizri
    Sc107

Quote Originally Posted by Starchaser107
    hey guys check out these new songs I've done if you get the chance.

I make music under the name MIZRI

links to the songs are here .

(1) FU JOW

(2) AZN GRLZ

you can also check out AZN GRLZ at this site

Godbless,
    Mizri
    Sc107
    I like you reference to Lianne Lin. You have my respect for that my friend.

Hey, I wasn't paying close attention. Your own clip, eh? I'd like to see that - and I'm not being sarcastic here either.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star