View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1314 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 314814121412641304131213131314131513161324 ... LastLast
Results 19,696 to 19,710 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    Ive seen a short snake form that hsiang taught out. it was very short but explosive. Looked like a cool system to study for sure.
    Bet in moved in a box pattern.

Why do you say a box pattern for?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

BC if it is the same one, then it is one of only two form/Kata in the SDA system I know of that moves in a box/square pattern. If not then it is snake form/kata, I haven't seen but I would be willing to bet it is the same one. I am just curious.
    Last edited by beng; 05-11-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Ok, so how long ago did you see the one you know of?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    Sometime between 2002 and 2004 I would guess. It was snow day material meaning only like three or four of us showed up for class so we learn a couple little random forms. I didn't really keep up with any of them. to much other stuff to learn.

Sometime between 2002 and 2004 I would guess. It was snow day material meaning only like three or four of us showed up for class so we learn a couple little random forms. I didn't keep up with any of them. to much other stuff to learn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    Sometime between 2002 and 2004 I would guess. It was snow day material meaning only like three or four of us showed up for class so we learn a couple little random forms. I didn't keep up with any of them. to much other stuff to learn.
    Did you study with Hiang long?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Did you study with Hiang long?
    No l never studied with master hiang, I am just pretty sure I have seen the snake form described. I am just curious if it is the same one.

Hiang The's snake

I've seen that form too. It is short and compact moving in four directions (I assume that's what is meant by "box pattern"). I never learned it myself. I was told it was different than Golden Snake, and believe it to be. There was also a Horse form that I've seen that I believe came from Hiang The, but I could be mistaken. Never learned that one either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

JP, yeah same one. I don't think it has any thing to do with golden snake. I also saw the horse form at the same time.

I always find it funny about SD, most of us have seen so much that we can't do ..again I must say I enjoy our basics most of all, whereever they came from...

That's always been one of the most effective criticisms of SD. No matter what you think of the origins of the system, the efficacy of what is taught is always the primary point. And if you learn so much material that it is impossible to keep worked up and effective, then it starts to lose its point. At one time I had a schedule where I would work on all my material in a given week. Just to go through the forms I had learned once would equal 15 to 20 hours a week of training. Unless you are a full time instructor, that type of schedule is difficult to maintain. I've forgotten more forms than some systems have....
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries
    I always find it funny about SD, most of us have seen so much that we can't do ..again I must say I enjoy our basics most of all, whereever they came from...
    I agree! And very applicable!

Basics

The way the basics are put together really allows a person to grow, if they work them and not just push rank..

I agree with the basics building off one another, but the problem became all the extra stuff being offered choked up the system with forms taught with no basics. The better practitioners I've met seemed to focus on the core material primarily.