View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1245 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2457451145119512351243124412451246124712551295 ... LastLast
Results 18,661 to 18,675 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

"Didn't realize"?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    what sin the didn't realize was kung fu was already in america decades before he or even bruce lee showed up on the scene.
    What makes you say he "didn't realize" what else was in America at the time -- other than what was obvious? I suspect you have no basis for saying that and are guessing. He may have "realized" or may not have, or more likely didn't care. He just started teaching what he was taught, or what he knew, or what he could, or what he chose to. And called it at first what everyone else was calling everything else -- to the extent anyone was public with it what they were doing at all: "karate."

I'm sure there were private, maybe even underground schools, teaching only to ethnic Chinese and in Chinese communities (at least that's what Bruce Lee's bio-pic said he got in trouble for breaching). And they may well have told their students it was Hung Gar, or CLF, or Shaolin, or who knows what. Maybe didn't call it anything. But I'll bet a lot of them didn't even use the term "kung fu" until much later. But I could be wrong.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    The point being, it turned out to be a traditional kung fu style (Tiger Crane?) plus Tai Chi. The speaker, now a renowned teacher in Washington DC, specifically made the comment that in those days no one ever heard of kung fu so everyone called all martial arts "karate."

And later, the same guy renamed his school, "Shaolin Wu Shu."
    Exactly! That's the point I was making. Sin and Hiang were ripped for calling their Chinese art karate.

Blog Entries
    What makes you say he "didn't realize" what else was in America at the time -- other than what was obvious? I suspect you have no basis for saying that and are guessing.
    because i'm telling you. thats how i know. you can suspect what you please. doesn't mean you're correct. I suspect you have zero basis to counter me with anything other than arrogant doubt. thats why you wear a gi while calling yourself kung fu.

or what he chose to
    yeah, what he chose to. whether he made it up or learned it from some book. thats a GREAT SIFU right there.

But I'll bet a lot of them didn't even use the term "kung fu" until much later. But I could be wrong.
    how much are you willing to bet? we were THE first in America in regards to gung fu schools. WE know whats what and who's who. they all came after us. so, just accept it, you're wrong.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I'm sure like most things it's regional. The point is, if you're trying to explain something you use whatever language conveys the idea easiest.
    Witness the dumbing down and laziness of the uninformed!!!

I couldn't disagree more.

I can't even begin to imagine how fucked we would be if everyone subscribed to such standards.
    Last edited by Syn7; 02-16-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Witness the dumbing down and laziness of the uninformed!!!

I couldn't disagree more.

I can't even begin to imagine how fucked we would be if everyone subscribed to such standards.
    Afterall, that's how they ended up with a form called Golden Cyborg...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    Golden Cyborg.
    please please please tell me thats a fukkin joke.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

The real sad part is that the state of SD is so horrible that you just aren't sure. lol

It's their transliteration of

Jin Gang Dao Dui (Buddha's Warrior Attendant Pounds Mortar)

from their interpretation of Chenshi Xinjia Yi Lu
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

I guess Sin The didn't know how to translate Jin Gang, he thought it was like the shaolin bronze men from the movies or something, like a magical golem made of gold. He's got some other wacky translations, too, some from misreading characters and some just from not being very good at English, maybe.
    It is a difficult thing to translate, especially for someone who isn't Buddhist, and also doesn't know English very well. If you walked up to some random Chinese people and showed them those two charaters (jin gang), I wonder what they'd say it was. maybe "hard as metal" or something.
    Last edited by Leto; 02-19-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    How bout Indonesian-American Martial arts with a liberal smattering of mish mash from various other styles to fill the demand gap they clearly have/had.
    I can go with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    I'd bet against this. Not because I think Sin The is not a liar. He is. I just don't think that the system will bog down because of it. Most of the schools that are splitting were already calling themselves Chinese Shaolin Centers or Shaolin Tao schools any way; the Georgia and Tennessee contingents were already wearing Sams instead of gis. The SD core is Kentucky/Ohio/Texas and that core has already bought Bill Leonard's BS explanation for the lawsuit and moved on.

Frankly, I'd hate it if SD guys changed the schools' names, started wearing SAMs and started flowering up the moves (the Colorado contingent already tried flowering the moves and they've got Jake Mace to show for it). I just wish they'd come clean about the origins and call the style what it actually is. I don't have any qualms with the non-stolen material.

But such is life. SD will still be around in its current form years in the future. After all, pro football players are willing to spend money on holographic stickers that divert cell phone waves and negatively charged water. That's way kookier than the SD origin story. America is a country full of undereducated consumers. That's why we love zombie movies.
    What's wrong with zombie movies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    What's wrong with zombie movies?
    Nothing, but I love them both ironically and non-ironically.

Query

For any SDers who still read the threadjacked thread, do any of you have the Pa Kua lyrics? If so, I'd be much obliged if you'd be willing to PM them to me. Gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    For any SDers who still read the threadjacked thread, do any of you have the Pa Kua lyrics? If so, I'd be much obliged if you'd be willing to PM them to me. Gracias!
    I've got a copy of JRQ's book in PDF format I'll send if you want, complete with illustrations, descriptions, etc...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    I've got a copy of JRQ's book in PDF format I'll send if you want, complete with illustrations, descriptions, etc...
    I would like those as well if you don't mind.
    Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced.