View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 563 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 634635135535615625635645655736136631063 ... LastLast
Results 8,431 to 8,445 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    I put one of my antique spear heads onto a waxwood shaft. The weight of the real spear head bent the waxwood and made it so sloppy when I TRIED to use it.
    This is a story I have told before.
    My brother was performing a spear demo at the county fair. It was held inside one of the barns at the fairgrounds in June or July and it was very hot and humid.
    I had to work that day and didn't get to see what happened. He had been practicing with my waxwood spear that had the largest diameter shaft that I have ever seen, not a lot of tapering and a large flair at the stub. It had sat at a MA store because no one wanted it but I liked it. For some reason, this day he was using a normal spear. You may already know what happened in that crowded arena.
    During the performance where you flip the spear, have the spear end facing towards your neck/face height and send it towards you as you turn away and send it towards an opponet behind you, it went through his sweaty hands into the crowd
    Two guys were leaning on each side of a wooden support post/column. It hit about head high between them with each of them turning to stare at it.
    After about 3 seconds, the crowd roared its approval of hitting the post between those guys that had been to his back as he had turned
    Did he play it off? I mean, did he turn and point at them, mean-muggin', and shout: "I heard what you said about my mother! Say it again, and I won't miss!"

I put one of my antique spear heads onto a waxwood shaft. The weight of the real spear head bent the waxwood and made it so sloppy when I TRIED to use it.
    This is a story I have told before.
    My brother was performing a spear demo at the county fair. It was held inside one of the barns at the fairgrounds in June or July and it was very hot and humid.
    I had to work that day and didn't get to see what happened. He had been practicing with my waxwood spear that had the largest diameter shaft that I have ever seen, not a lot of tapering and a large flair at the stub. It had sat at a MA store because no one wanted it but I liked it. For some reason, this day he was using a normal spear. You may already know what happened in that crowded arena.
    During the performance where you flip the spear, have the spear end facing towards your neck/face height and send it towards you as you turn away and send it towards an opponet behind you, it went through his sweaty hands into the crowd
    Two guys were leaning on each side of a wooden support post/column. It hit about head high between them with each of them turning to stare at it.
    After about 3 seconds, the crowd roared its approval of hitting the post between those guys that had been to his back as he had turned
    One of these days I'll get to Louisville and meet up with you. I'll bring the spear that I made--It is waxwood, but its fairly thick and its been properly treated. I have a functional spear head on it as well. It's a bit diffcult to wield at times, but it makes for a nice looking spear. The move you described (with the spear point facing toward you) makes me a bit more nervous when you are looking at a point that is sharp enoug to cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Did he play it off? I mean, did he turn and point at them, mean-muggin', and shout: "I heard what you said about my mother! Say it again, and I won't miss!"

No, that is what he should have done. Instead he walked over to the post and removed it. He then started all over again.
    LOL, if I had been in the crowd I wouldn't have stuck around for the "Encore"
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Such pathetic humor....I love bad puns.....

I really doubt that the real spears used a wax wood shaft anyway which are flimsy and easily snapped. Would you really bet your life on it holding up in battle?
    I had an antique spear head with part of the shaft still in it. It was a dark red, close grain wood. In other words, it was a hardwood. Wax wood is more like the modern wu-shu weapons, more flash.
    I doubt this completely. They are only flimsy if you get a thin one. You need to find one that is functional for combat. Not too thin not too thick. It should be a little bit heavier to help build strength. These are small trees, they are as strong as nature has made them . If you treat them with oils they will not become brittle or get wood worms.

Talking Great News

Chuck Norris says "the surge is working" and "morale is way up." Next we'll have an iraqi version of "The Green Berets" with John Wayne but starring Chuck. Then 10 years down the road we'll have him in "Who'll Stop the Sand" er... "Rain."

Why I Don't Care What Chuck Says

Because Bruce Lee in the last scene of "Enter The Dragon" obviously travelled forward in time and kicked Chucks' plastic rear for making such stupid remarks

Talking A ducks quack

...does not echo. Chuck Norris is solely responsible for this phenomenon. When asked why he just stares at you grimly.

Chuck Norris

...does not use spell check. When he misspells a word, Oxford simply changes the spelling.

Chuck Norris

...travelled back in time to stop the J.F.K. assasination. He caught Oswalds bullets in his beard. J.F.K.s head exploded from sheer amazement.

But seriously...

sorry, couldn't resist those chuckisms. news flash- kararate teacher in VA. arrested for felony child endangerment for kicking a student 200 times, apparently in some sort of "record breaking" thing within the class. Wonder what kind of an impact this will have

If the kid took more than one the teacher cant be much. who cares. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    If the kid took more than one the teacher cant be much. who cares. KC
    I Couldn't agree with you more.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

actually

the kid had a broken rib and organ damage. my s.d. instructor refused to teach anyone under 18. now i see why. smart man.

turns out

the 11 year old had broken rib and internal injuries. the places most affected will no doubt be the "kid karate" belt mills that specialize in bilking parents.