View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 10 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 8910111220601105101010 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Silumkid Guest
    Cho,

Is this related to the "face vs. honor" question someone asked that was replied to somewhat rudely? :D

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

cho Guest
    I believe so.

TWS was giving some of his Zen wisdom gained from Shaolin gongfu practice.

Radhnoti Guest
    Reemul insulted TWS' style, saying it was without merit...including personal tales of "shamelessly" beating fellow SD students. TWS, in my opinion rightly, felt insulted and decided to show reemul that he was mistaken.
    It seems pretty straightforward to me. I only posted reemul's own words to show obvious mistruths...and probably out of spite, he did insult the style I've chosen as well. Silumkid, I never claimed to be an impartial observer. I don't think TWS is expecting anything REALLY to change after this bout...with the possible exception of reemul's mouth shutting when it comes to SD.
    To be fair, Cho, no one has disproven SD's version of Tai Chi either. I invite you to go to the internal boards where TWS posted quite often...either everyone over there is WAY more polite than those on the shaolin forum, or he knows a bit about internal martial arts. Or...don't, make assumptions based on heresay and join the SD bashing bandwagon. That's certainly the easier course.

"That government is best which governs least." -- HENRY DAVID THOREAU

Silumkid Guest
    Now, now, Rad, don't jump on me because I asked a few questions which may deflate an ego or three.

First, I never accused you of being an impartial observer...as I said, I read quite a bit of this. I know exactly where you stand from your posts. All I did say was that it was useless to repeat things that he has said in the past, it lends nothing to the present.

Also, if I wanted to flame Shaolin-Do, I would have. I visited a school here locally once, decided it wasn't for me and that was that. I also know nothing about reemul's school or teacher, nor do I really care to, just as I am sure many could care less about mine.

My point is this: It is very easy for folks to puff up their chests and in classic Shaw Brothers form say "Your school insulted my school. We fight!" The hard part is honestly looking at why these 2 feel the need to fight over a difference of opinion. Again, I am not saying they should or shouldn't just as I would not want anyone to tell me what to do in my life. I do think, though, that we can all learn something from this.

And honestly, do you really believe either person will be "shut up" if they lose? It's a one time encounter...if we were talking about a series of meetings where one person clearly dominated the other every time, it would be a different story but again, proves nothing about "style".

Amitabha!

Radhnoti Guest
    Silumkid, sorry if it seemed I "jumped on you". I do tend to post in "defensive" mode, but no offense was meant. I respectfully disagree about the relevance of reposting old info. New forum members pop up all the time, and most don't review the old stuff as you say you have. So, reemul saying that's he's done nothing to provoke TWS and that he's never spoke poorly of SD might be believed by a newcomer.
    Frankly, I don't think reemul can win. And I'm not speaking only of the physical. He and others like him have talked SD down so completely that some imagine an SD student is more inept than someone that's never had any sort of training. TWS beating him will, of course, give a SD supporter (such as myself) a point to bring up when he decides to attack.
    Example:
    Reemul - "SD is NOT a practical art of self defense. I know this to be fact."
    Me - "It was good enough to beat you back in November. How has the quality decreased since?"

The REAL attacks will come from others who once wished reemul the best. If he was beaten by a SD guy, he must not be studying a "REAL CMA" guy. A perfect correlation to this can be seen on the main KFO boards when Shaolin_Tiger00 fought Rolls/Ralek. He won, but his lack of dominance led to MANY personal attacks by those who'd previously been his stronger supporters.
    He might try coming back as a different user, but it's surprising how quickly and often stuff like that is revealed around here. I'm sure reemul is a fine fighter/artist, don't get me wrong, but to REALLY win he'd have to be considerably more skilled than TWS AND he'd have to SHOW it that day. It's all just a matter of perception. And, in my opinion, TWS challenging reemul can't decrease the kung-fu community's perception of SD...it can only be improved. It's sort of a nowhere to go but up situation. Again, this is all just my opinion. Life rarely works out as I imagine or expect, really, the only thing to do is wait for November and then the fallout from the fight.

Silumkid Guest
    Rad, no worries...it takes a lot to offend me and you were nowhere near that. It's all good. :)

I must admit I did not consider the "new forum members" when I commented, but on the same vein I would contend that a person who jumps on your guys case without knowing the background deserves nothing less than to be ignored. Of course, not speaking from your position, it's probably difficult at best to ignore constant attacks from bandwagoneers.

True, life rarely works out how we plan...but isn't that what makes it fun? :D

In any case, I wish both fighters well. Do what you can not to get arrested and also be wary of "tough guy" spectators who may think you are screwing around and try to get in on it.

Amitabha!

joedoe Guest
    This dicussion is pointless for two reasons:

1) No matter what happens in Nov. the SD detractors will still think SD sucks, and the SD supporters will still think it is wonderful.

2) There is no point in carrying on like this. Wait and see what happens in Nov. then we can do the post-fight analysis.

My personal view is that if you enjoy doing SD and it works for you, then fine. If someone doesn't think it is authentic Shaloin and that the school's name is fraudulent, then that is their opinion and they are entitled to it. Why get all worked up over it?

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Radhnoti Guest
    Silumkid, you'd be surprised how many SD members peruse these boards. I've received plenty of e-mails from SD folks ignoring the bad and taking in the good. They're the smart ones. Nice to have you on the forum, by the way.
    ABandit.
    Point 1, I agree. The only persons who might change their viewpoint is the loser of the challenge.
    Point 2, amen.

I agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion. My concern has always been that the nay sayers are the primary influence for most people's opinion of SD. I just try to offer my perspective to balance the negative in my small corner of the universe. After all, SD has changed my life for the better...how terrible it would be if someone passed up the opportunity to learn a CMA. And all because they read bad things about it on an internet message board. :(
    I hope that anyone reading this right now goes and checks out ALL the martial arts available to them and picks what they like best. That's what I did.

The Willow Sword Guest

WHY are you guys still bickering?

All of these people who are coming on to this thread seem to be like all the others who create a "let's bash SD" thread. I wonder why it is that we constantly disresepct martial systems be they shaolin hybrids or schools that have Rare shaolin roots or other schools claiming shaolin lineage?
    So far Reemul along with others here put down a school that has been here in this country since the late 60's. this is an old school in comparison to others that have started much later in this country. I know that it is difficult for some of you to comprehend the fact that there might be a school out there with a unique lineage to the temple. You constantly try to "compare" what you do to what i do and then you make a judgement based on wild conjecture and bullSh!t.
    the bashing constantly has to do with the history of the school and the Man who started the school here in this country to begin with. But as of yet the solid hard proof is not there to substantiate any body's claims against the Shaolin-Do school. All i have been reading is the personal bickerings of students who have been there before and left due to some "awakening" or "realization" that the school was not for them or that they found out the "truth" from another school or instructor that SD is a fake and not legitamate CMA. All of you SD bashers seem to have this grandious view of what CMA is becuase either you watch toooo many movies or you look at the outward appearence of a Cma school and say"now thats CMA". you believe what your asian instructors tell you and you believe thier diatribe against Sd for they have some personal vendetta for they are not familiar with our history for THEY are the authorities on Chinese history, culture and martial arts? You guys are the best when it comes to mouth boxing in this forum. I on the other hand have answered the insults and bickering of one of you with a challenge. I have stuck to it letting everyone know who i am and what i do and how long i have been doing it. it took alot of chiding at reemul to finally let us know where he trains on this forum. i imagine that his Teacher boosted his ego on this matter probably saying that" this guy will be no problem for you,,he does kiddy karate charaltan CMA". I know that all of you who hate us and our school are trying to throw in a monkey wrench in the ideology here with regards to this challenge,,,,and i know that you all think that this will not change anything about what YOU all think about SD. What this Will change for you all is that there is a SD person willing to step up and answer to the insults being thrown out,,FOR THERE IS NOT ONE OF YOU NOT ONE, WHO HAS THE BALLS ,COURAGE OR INTEGRITY TO STAND UP IN FRONT OF ANY OF OUR FACES AND TALK YOUR SH!T. Instead you do it here where you are safe behind your computer talking trash and feeling good about yourself,,but i tell you ,,one of these days there is going to be a life humbling experience for you for you will talk your sh!t in front of the wrong person and get a beating that you never even thought was possible(now dont take this as a challenge from me ) this is a principle in the martail arts relm that states what comes around goes around. its funny though that the SD school has not had any of these "what comes around goes around experiences" if we were a fraudulant school or a CHarlatan school the karma would naturally have to work against us...but as you can see folks we have schools in a lot of places with alot of students,,and we prosper, and our successful and we do produce some good fighters and martial artists,,and guess what?.....ITS A SHAOLIN SCHOOL. not your shaolin school and certainly not the shaolin temple of today's shaolin school(communist wushu).now i know some of you have sparred Sd people before and "beaten" them, so you say.
    The degree and level at which a student excells depends on thier resolve and dedication to what they are practicing in. whether they be a black belt or no that fact a stated above remains.
    So now you are going to see, should any of you wish to witness, a SD disciple who is dedicated to his school and the art of SHaolin and who has been a martial artist for over 15 yrs and a teacher for 4 yrs and is not cowardly as so much as to be vague about WHO HE IS,,ANND WHO IS MAN ENOUGH TO STAND IN FRONT OF YOU AND SAY THAT "YOU ARE FULL OF SH1T WITH YOUR TRASH TALK AND INSULTS,REEMUL. NOW PLEASE, IF YOU WILL , take a rest from the SD bashing on this thread. i have stated what i need to state in this matter and NOW IM GOING TO REST,,,and let you all continue with all of YOUR nonsense.
    Many Respects,,,,Willow Sword.

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
    oh and,,,Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you are an a$.

Silumkid Guest
    Rad, thanks for your welcome. I appreciate it.

I agree that anyone who chooses a martial art based on what they read off a website is simply foolish. However, one thing the internet has managed to do is bring us all together, for good or bad. It's all perception. Unfortunately, there are never any easy answers either.

Willow, I kind of figured this might happen, but oh well....it seems you think that I started posting here to insult Shaolin-Do because I said it "wasn't for me". Somehow, it seems you find this offensive, yet, is that not what you did when you chose SD over others?

I hope I didn't set you off, but it seems to me that instead of wasting your energy making mass generalizations about what people here do and do not have the courage to do, it would be better spent either finding productive conversations here. You seem awfully defensive and I understand that this challenge thing may have you "ready to go" but in future I would appreciate it if you do not include me in mass generalizations. I have fought many a time, and for things that are happening in my world, I may have to do it again soon. It's not something I'm proud of...but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Relax dude, it's only the internet.

Amitabha!

MonkeySlap Too Guest

Read True Beleiver

I don't think anyone has read this book yet. I really, really think that this is a good idea.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

joedoe Guest

TWS

"FOR THERE IS NOT ONE OF YOU NOT ONE, WHO HAS THE BALLS ,COURAGE OR INTEGRITY TO STAND UP IN FRONT OF ANY OF OUR FACES AND TALK YOUR SH!T"

I think that's a little unfair. Some people aren't in the good ole US of A :D

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    What we do in life echoes in Eternity

reemul Guest

to TWS

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BeiKongHui Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To be fair, Cho, no one has disproven SD's version of Tai Chi either [/quote]

In 1956, the Physical Culture and Sports Commission of the People's Republic of China called together a group of nationally renowned martial artists to study ways to further popularize taijiquan among the people. As a result, a simplified set of exercise with 24 forms was created by removing the over- elaborate or repetitive movements from the old forms. Consequently, a fresh impetus was given to the spread of taijiquan throughout the country. Within a few years millions of copies of books and hanging charts introducing simplified taijiquan were published and circulated. During the '70s, over two hundred centers teaching the new set of taijiquan exercise were set up in Beijing alone. Subsequently, 24-Form Taijiquan was translated into Japanese, English, French and other foreign languages as it found its way to Japan, the United States, Canada, Britain, France, Sweden, Singapore, Malaysia and many other countries.

I've seen the SD form and it is the above.

Rad you can find the truth if you really want to. We can give you proof that the sky is blue only by pointing at the sky and saying "It's blue!" but if one refuses to open his eyes and see then he'll never see it for himself.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
    --Khalil Gibran

Radhnoti Guest
    I still intend to order the video, but I need a point of comparison. Someone gave a website in an earlier thread, but I have terrible luck with online video.
    Also, I'm not sure what an exact match would prove anymore. Have you seen GM Sin claim that the 24 form is ancient? If so, I'd appreciate it if you'd reference that statement for me. SD has several Tai Chi forms, and we know that GM Ie changed several things back in the 40s or 50s. He could have easily added the the new Tai Chi form with an eye toward competing and/or modernization. This may sound like a cop out...since this was something I had worried about myself, but I realized the only people I'd heard shouting that 24 form wasn't ancient and GM Sin claims to only teach ancient things was SD opponents. BKH, I thought you were going to send me a list of schools you'd suggest? Also, did you see my question to you about "Shorim Ryu" on the main board? I'd asked who was teaching it and who broke away...you know, just the political stuff, but also, do they teach the same thing? Please e-mail me or answer in this thread? Thanks.