View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1004 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 450490495499410021003100410051006101410541104 ... LastLast
Results 15,046 to 15,060 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherLove View Post
    Although the administrators and moderators of Kung Fu Magazine Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Kung Fu Magazine Forums, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Kung Fu Magazine Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
    i find shaolin do to be very vulgar and obscene.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-08-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Hate to be a buzzkill, but that's not really an accurate statement. While Sin The' did admit to creating lower belt material himself (including short kata and some longer kata) there is still a lot of material above that rank. What we know for sure is that he learned from GM Ie who was a native of China and claimed to have trained with monks from the temple, including the now infamous hairy monk Su Kong Tai Djinn. With GM Ie and Tai Djinn dead and with the current evidence that's been shared publicly, it's pretty much come down to hearsay on actual ties to the temple. I agree the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim, so there is still a lot to establish, but that is a lot different from a statement like "it has now been conclusively proved it [all SD material] is not Shaolin Temple Material." I'm sure a lot of other "true TCMA" out there have tenuous connections to the temple as well.

This is the tag line below the forum: This form of boxing from Henan's Shaolin Temple is easily the most famous form of Chinese Kung Fu and has developed into countless styles and variations.

It implies the forum is about SHaolin from the Song Shan Shaolin temple in Henan. THe Hairy monk you speak of has no connection to the Song Shan Temple. He may be connected with some kind of SOuthern Shaolin temple, but the history of those is unknown to me. Either way it is not SOngSHan material. We know about a lot of the stuff from Song Shan, and the stuff we don't know about is pretty easy to see whether it is SongShan or not because of similarities to other song shan forms.

Happy Monday!

I trust you all had a good weekend. Mine was very restful and I caught up on a few chores. Now to the matter at hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Hey Gene,

If you do unlock it...

Is there any chance you could move it to another forum, like 'other related arts'. I think it has now been conclusively proved that it is not Shaolin Temple Material. That thread is always at the top of the list, so you know, its kind of mildly, vaguely annoying. It vexes me.
    You know, if I moved all the so-called 'fake' Shaolin stuff out of the Shaolin forum, that would cut the post count in half. I've always felt that 'fake' Shaolin is as much a part of 'real' Shaolin. To understand nirvana, you must get past delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    So MK is the Shaolin Kung Fu forum mod?
    I'm the mod there. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Gene could delete this entire forum and replace it with a poorly drawn panda if he wanted. And it likely would have little impact on KFM's sales.
    Well, yes and no. The forum draws a lot of web eyeballs, and that results in all sorts of business. So while it might not directly affect sales of Kung Fu Tai Chi, there is collateral benefits, which is why we keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Benevolent? Those where my words. His goals are monetary, not didactic.
    Indeed, I would be lying if I said there wasn't an underlying moneymaking intention, but the real question where that money goes. The forum, at minimum, needs to pay for itself. This means rent (which isn't much) and maintenance (which is a little more when you consider that we have several paid staff that work on it). Any profits beyond that funnel back into supporting the print magazine and it's various platforms, and all of that goes towards the support and propagation of Chinese martial arts. It's not like the forum is a big moneymaker (if only...) but every little bit helps.

I still haven't decided what to do about this thread yet. I've going to do my Monday morning chores here first, and then decide around lunch time perhaps. Thank you all for your patience and understanding.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm confused tha thread is 983 pages most of which are people saying shaolin do sucks. Why do the shaolin do people still want it open? If there was a 983 page thread about how bad my school sucked I'd be a little depressed
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Last Friday, I locked our largest thread Is Shaolin-Do for real? because of a complaint. I was intent on unlocking it this week, but in the wake of the locking, two threads have emerged that have given me pause:
    Closing an icon
    Open Discussion on SHAOLIN DO

As this lockdown action was accused of being undemocratic in our administration here (not that I took offense as we never claimed to be democratic), for the sake of democracy in this election year, I'm giving this decision over to you all.

Vote now and we will abide by your decision. This poll will close in three days.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I've decided

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I still haven't decided what to do about this thread yet. I've going to do my Monday morning chores here first, and then decide around lunch time perhaps. Thank you all for your patience and understanding.
    I've decided to let you all decide.

VOTE!

What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It is not as though SDers are banned... but the thread has become very boringly long.

waste of bandwith.

I voted to delete it.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dale dugas View Post
    waste of bandwith.

I voted to delete it.
    +1 ............
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

+ another one.

Destroy it and urinate on its children!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

In the interests of a fair and honest benevolent dictatorship, I vote that Gene should get as many votes as he feels like to ensure the best outcome.

I voted to keep it locked down where it can be viewed, adored, but not added to, , Kinda like stranding the CubeMaster PinHead in outer space in HellRaiser 4 , blasting him into oblivion. Deleting would go way beyond torture. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn1ej...eature=related
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 10-08-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Either re-open it or delete it all. Don't keep it locked and stickied.

I vote merge and re-open. It's clearly a popular thread and brings in traffic. KFM gets a lot of hits, why limit that? Who cares what is actually being said, as long as it isn't waaay out of control. And it isn't and hasn't been way out of control.

Passion is a good thing when it comes to making money, recognize!!!

If people don't wanna look at it then don't look at it. But anyone who says "close it and delete it because I'm not interested" is a selfish motherfukcer, str8 up. Many people would think this whole site is a waste of bandwidth. If you don't like it, don't look. It's simple, unless being interpreted by a simpleton, that is.

I realize that staff needs to make whatever decisions are best for their goals. But when it comes to users, we shouldn't be so selfish as to deny another their pleasures simply because you don't agree or want to participate.

For those who are bothered by the SD thread.... RELAX