View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1005 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 550590595599510031004100510061007101510551105 ... LastLast
Results 15,061 to 15,075 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I don't know if a poll is really the fairest thing: I mean, for all the killjoys above, the simple solution is if you don't like it, if it bores you, if you think it's a waste of bandwidth, just DON'T READ THE THREAD; I mean, really - does the thread come to your house at 2 AM, knock down your door and take your wife and kids hostage? why can't you let those of us who enjoy it, have it?

at the very least, open it up until it hits 1,000 pages, then lock it down as a warning to other threads that would presume to reach too high...
    Don't you have some small woodland animals to eviscerate?

Wait! Maybe that was me!
    __________________________________________________ __

I agree with this post!

I reason the voice of reason is the only reason reasonable enough to rationally accept as reasonably reasonable enough to be reasonably rational!

Careful

Because the SD thread is such a negative entity , and with careful deliberation, I find it ironic the most hated MA is the result of excellent marketing thanks in part to all of you. I say Delete it. Gene I was Reactive, but much like playing too many video games and listening to Rap, makes people violent , I responded wrong. So Close it and undo all the Negative of this site. Let themfind another way to Cut SD down. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Gene will do what he wants to do.I have no problem with whatever he decides. The SD discussions are all about Sin The's imitations. No where in the forum is there any continuous endless thread about one person and his peddling of superficial imitations of other styles. I don't think that deleting the thread will adversely affect the magazine or the forum.

It is at the point where SD/Sin The related posts is overwhelming discussions pf Shaolin related
    kun fu. .

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Wherever did you get that idea?

The word 'forum' doesn't even imply 'democracy'. Our motivations are strictly capitalist.
    I bet most of the bazillion SD schools have wholesale accounts with Tiger Claw. Just sayin.

We have a Shaolin-do thread ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    ...but then I'd like to see a new thread started called "General Shaolin-Do Discussion."

The "Is SD for Real" mega thread could be held as a sticky so the same arguments aren't re-hashed. But as somebody who practices and is interested in SD, I'd like to have a place for discussion of the style that doesn't instantly get derailed.

Call it b.s. Call it fake. I don't really care. All I ask for is a place to discuss the style and techniques with others who are also interested.

Unless there is new information that becomes public, I also think the "Is SD for Real" mega thread has served its purpose.
    You could just start this thread. Then we could talk on it until some douchebag non-SD person comes in their flaming, casuing someone to make a complaint, thereby causing that thread to be locked. It would be an interesting couple of hours in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post

Benevolent? Those were my words. His goals are monetary, not didactic.
    Are you talking about Sin The or Gene?

Keep it locked so that we don't have to spend 11 more years and 1,000 more pages convincing these guys they've been duped.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-09-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Prolonged chaos due to denying bad choices is kind of silly.

I mean, you can explain it as many times as you like, but if comprehension is refused, you get 1000 pages of nonsense.

Many people will refuse to believe they were duped and spent 1000's of dollars on an elaborate creation being sold as something else that it can be directly and positively shown to not be that.

weird.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Locked but stickied so it remains at the top as a monument to martial arts fraud and gullibility.

I'm curious about how much traffic is driven by that thread; a thousand pages over 11 years is a metric fuckton of index.

Code:
    $cat /var/log/apache2/access.log | grep -i "shaolin do"

Fraud

All of you speak of fraud, Yet you all contribute to the flow of the forum. The issue is not fraud or what ever, Remember the Kung Fu schools picked up after Kwai Chang Caine came on the scene but he was a Dancer. Still improved business. Much like SD promoted the name of Shao Lin whether u like it or not. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Actually this is not so

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    I bet most of the bazillion SD schools have wholesale accounts with Tiger Claw. Just sayin.
    I wish it were true. We could use the income. Like many of the large martial franchises, SD is of sufficient magnitude to manufacture and import its own gear. As any school owner knows, a fair amount of revenue can come from products, especially brand name products. As any franchise owner knows, selling brand name merchandise is a double bonus. It's like getting someone to pay you to advertise for you.

*****We pause now for this commercial break*****

So any large franchise martial arts schools will manufacture their brand name products on their own for the most part. Tiger Claw might pick up some peripheral business from some SD schools in supplying accessories that aren't branded (for example, I don't think there's an official SD leg stretcher) but it's far from a bazillion.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Whatever happens, I'm not stickying it

I don't believe in sticky threads. Some of the other mods use that function, but, being democratic , I feel that the topmost thread should always be the most active and that there's no need to force it.

Personally, I hope that this poll does not result in the deletion of IS-Dfr. As an archivist, I like to keep the history. The thread stands as a fascinating study in web forum dynamics. And once you get past all the hysterical flame wars, there's some interesting points. Deconstructing that thread could make for a PhD dissertation (in martial forums, if there were such a thing). However, I will abide by the decision of this poll.

I find this whole IS-Dfr situation a rather fascinating study in our community here. The two things that are most striking are:
    1. How many have commented vs. how many have voted. GET OUT AND VOTE!
    2. That the member who lodged the initial complaint against this thread has remained silent about this IS-Dfr situation. I will keep the identity of that member anonymous, so this is the only clue about their identity.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    All of you speak of fraud, Yet you all contribute to the flow of the forum. The issue is not fraud or what ever, Remember the Kung Fu schools picked up after Kwai Chang Caine came on the scene but he was a Dancer. Still improved business. Much like SD promoted the name of Shao Lin whether u like it or not. KC
    wenshu and you are the only ones who used the word "fraud" in your posts!

How did you get from one guy (wenshu), to "All of you speak of fraud...."?????

Take your meds AS PRESCRIBED, this is what happens when you think you can do without them!

Geez

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I don't believe in sticky threads. Some of the other mods use that function, but, being democratic , I feel that the topmost thread should always be the most active and that there's no need to force it.

Personally, I hope that this poll does not result in the deletion of IS-Dfr. As an archivist, I like to keep the history. The thread stands as a fascinating study in web forum dynamics. And once you get past all the hysterical flame wars, there's some interesting points. Deconstructing that thread could make for a PhD dissertation (in martial forums, if there were such a thing). However, I will abide by the decision of this poll.

I find this whole IS-Dfr situation a rather fascinating study in our community here. The two things that are most striking are:
    1. How many have commented vs. how many have voted. GET OUT AND VOTE!
    2. That the member who lodged the initial complaint against this thread has remained silent about this IS-Dfr situation. I will keep the identity of that member anonymous, so this is the only clue about their identity.
    So the decision to lock the thread was autocratic but the decision to delete if forever will be democratic? Awesome.

Also, as someone who likes archives as a source of information, I can't believe you'd let a poll destroy what has turned into a really good source of information whether you hate SD or not.

Everone on here who is an SD hater talks about how people have been duped. That thread is the number one source of true information about SD. It's the best resource for someone who wants to decide whether or not to do SD. So, even if your an SD hater, you should see the value in that. Delete that thread and the so-called duping is even easier.

But the truth is you guys don't really care about people being duped. You just want to sit around all day flaming and trolling each other. If someone could read that thread and either decide not to be duped or decide to take SD but with open eyes, screw them. As long as you get to flame and troll all day and talk trash, who cares.