View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1006 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 650690695699610041005100610071008101610561106 ... LastLast
Results 15,076 to 15,090 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    2. That the member who lodged the initial complaint against this thread has remained silent about this IS-Dfr situation. I will keep the identity of that member anonymous, so this is the only clue about their identity
    You mean one of the 22,105 members here is a whiner???

NO!!!! I CAN'T believe it!!!

NOT HERE OF ALL PLACES!!!!!

I'll bet it is that Dave guy from New York San Da! You can't trust New Yorkers who do San Da!

In fact I thought it was called San Doh!!!!!

Interesting

I wish it were true. We could use the income. Like many of the large martial franchises, SD is of sufficient magnitude to manufacture and import its own gear. As any school owner knows, a fair amount of revenue can come from products, especially brand name products. As any franchise owner knows, selling brand name merchandise is a double bonus. It's like getting someone to pay you to advertise for you.

*****We pause now for this commercial break*****

So any large franchise martial arts schools will manufacture their brand name products on their own for the most part. Tiger Claw might pick up some peripheral business from some SD schools in supplying accessories that aren't branded (for example, I don't think there's an official SD leg stretcher) but it's far from a bazillion.
    I didn't know that. I do know that the broadsword and the Kwan Dao that I bought through my school are Tiger Claw. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    But the truth is you guys don't really care about people being duped. You just want to sit around all day flaming and trolling each other. If someone could read that thread and either decide not to be duped or decide to take SD but with open eyes, screw them. As long as you get to flame and troll all day and talk trash, who cares.
    AH HA!!!!

So it's YOU!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    AH HA!!!!

So it's YOU!!!!!!
    Just saying that I would think all the haters that are arguing for truth in advertising and informed MA training choices should be the biggest lobbyists for the preservation of that thread but they're not. It's because they don't really care about honesty or anything but trolling.

I've been doing SD for about five years now. I've read the whole thread. I think its exhistence is important to MA consumers. Even though I've continued to train in SD, it's been helpful to me in sorting out some parts from others. It's probably helped some people choose not to do it. Where's the downside?

You make a good point, ON

Like I said, personally, I would opt to keep the thread. But this whole democratic issue arose and it being an election year, I find this exercise worthy of the experiment.

If you want to save the thread, rally the vote.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

And your uniforms?

Where is your uniform from? Weapons are select item buys, sort of like one-offs in a way. Don't get me wrong. I'm delighted that your school is stocked by Tiger Claw. But the bulk of the money in martial arts merch is in uniforms. Tiger Claw has a few big franchise clients, and does supply many SD schools, but most of those bazillion SD schools also buy from other suppliers too, so the impact isn't nearly as significant as some of ther other big accounts.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Where is your uniform from? Weapons are select item buys, sort of like one-offs in a way. Don't get me wrong. I'm delighted that your school is stocked by Tiger Claw. But the bulk of the money in martial arts merch is in uniforms. Tiger Claw has a few big franchise clients, and does supply many SD schools, but most of those bazillion SD schools also buy from other suppliers too, so the impact isn't nearly as significant as some of ther other big accounts.
    I see. I think the uniforms are largely from Century and Juka.

Since I believe everyone is responsible for what they read, no one should complain if they read something they don't like or offends them.

It is very simple: "If you don't like it, DON'T READ IT!!"

We live in a world where too many people want to make other people responsible for their own feelings. There is no cosmic law that says anyone has to agree with anyone else or make each other feel good about themselves, or be liked, etc.

Shaolin Doh exists, many people enjoy it! If some people think others are being defrauded, have your say, but if people want to do it, let them do it in peace.

To me it is like saying Ballet is a fraud!! It is just a dance form that some people enjoy and some people don't. If you don't like ballet don't watch it!

If you don't like Shaolin Doh, don't do it! There is more than enough evidence out there for people to compare different martial styles and decide for themselves what they want to practice.

I do not like creating a false history though and pretending the art has an origin it doesn't truly have. That one is a bit too much for me!

Like I said, personally, I would opt to keep the thread. But this whole democratic issue arose and it being an election year, I find this exercise worthy of the experiment.

If you want to save the thread, rally the vote.
    It won't happen. There are probably some SDers on this board who'd like to see the thread gone. Couple that with the general forum member around here (the individuals that this democracy will represent) and it's got no chance. The problem is that this form doesn't have a substantial number of people on it who give a crap about legitimate discussion or information preservation. It's much more akin to idiocracy. Just look at the thread itself. It's seven pages of flame wars to every 3 pages of legitimately good information. Nonetheless, given its length, it has over 250 pages of legitimately solid information; either on the system itself or on its techniques and practices.

Agree

Since I believe everyone is responsible for what they read, no one should complain if they read something they don't like or offends them.

It is very simple: "If you don't like it, DON'T READ IT!!"

We live in a world where too many people want to make other people responsible for their own feelings. There is no cosmic law that says anyone has to agree with anyone else or make each other feel good about themselves, or be liked, etc.

Shaolin Doh exists, many people enjoy it! If some people think others are being defrauded, have your say, but if people want to do it, let them do it in peace.

To me it is like saying Ballet is a fraud!! It is just a dance form that some people enjoy and some people don't. If you don't like ballet don't watch it!

If you don't like Shaolin Doh, don't do it! There is more than enough evidence out there for people to compare different martial styles and decide for themselves what they want to practice.

I do not like creating a false history though and pretending the art has an origin it doesn't truly have. That one is a bit too much for me!
    Your position is imminently reasonable.

But the approach around here is, "I don't like it; it offends me; therefore nobody should read it ever."

I'd like to avoid the hyperbole of comparing this thread to the debate of whether we should have a book burning but I'm failing to find a distinction.

It won't happen. There are probably some SDers on this board who'd like to see the thread gone. Couple that with the general forum member around here (the individuals that this democracy will represent) and it's got no chance. The problem is that this form doesn't have a substantial number of people on it who give a crap about legitimate discussion or information preservation. It's much more akin to idiocracy. Just look at the thread itself. It's seven pages of flame wars to every 3 pages of legitimately good information. Nonetheless, given its length, it has over 250 pages of legitimately solid information; either on the system itself or on its techniques and practices.
    There must be a Shaolin Doh forum somewhere on the internets for people like you who don't like flame wars.

I found a pretty unique way of avoiding posts I don't like, I don't read them!

Give it a try. It works pretty darn good.

Your position is imminently reasonable.

But the approach around here is, "I don't like it; it offends me; therefore nobody should read it ever."

I'd like to avoid the hyperbole of comparing this thread to the debate of whether we should have a book burning but I'm failing to find a distinction.
    Don't you think Gene is just trying to have some fun here?

In the grand scheme of things any thread is not worth much really. Sure some is very interesting, but none of it is anything people in general can't live without.

Let's not over value something most people consider a pastime and don't take all that seriously.

It is not great literature it is a bunch of guys getting together to waste some time. It isn't much different than hanging out at the pub and arguing about football.

Don't you think Gene is just trying to have some fun here?

In the grand scheme of things any thread is not worth much really. Sure some is very interesting, but none of it is anything people in general can't live without.

Let's not over value something most people consider a pastime and don't take all that seriously.

It is not great literature it is a bunch of guys getting together to waste some time. It isn't much different than hanging out at the pub and arguing about football.
    If this is your opinion, why do you feel so strongly about moderators here?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There must be a Shaolin Doh forum somewhere on the internets for people like you who don't like flame wars.

I found a pretty unique way of avoiding posts I don't like, I don't read them!

Give it a try. It works pretty darn good.
    I do. You and I are on the same page in that regard. I'm being critical about all the "destroy the thread" advocates. I, like you, just ignore stuff that I find useless or offensive.

I do. You and I are on the same page in that regard. I'm being critical about all the "destroy the thread" advocates. I, like you, just ignore stuff that I find useless or offensive.
    Oh I see! I think I misunderstood!