View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1026 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 26526926976101610241025102610271028103610761126 ... LastLast
Results 15,376 to 15,390 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

But then it wouldn't be poaching

The word 'poach' comes from the same root from which we derive 'pouch' and 'pocket'. When Pitbull poaches Toots Hibbert for his 'Don't stop the party' anyone who knows musical history can tell. Unfortunately, most people don't know their history and such poaching has run rampant in both music and the martial arts nowadays. However, it's probably more efficient to just lay out your case and be done with it. Instead of trying to get a poacher to admit what he pocketed, just teach the next gen the history and move on.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    When my old BSL Sifu, Wing Lam, released BSL and Hung Gar systems on video, that was with the expectation that people would use it. So now, there are countless schools/teachers/practitioners that use that curriculum, some 'officially' acknowledged, but many not. We weren't possessive with the teachings. We let it go. That's basic Buddhism (and Sifu Lam isn't Buddhist). But back to the point, the point of publishing it (in video form) was to share it. And just like you claim with the book, HSK, there are 'tells' in those Wing Lam vids that can distinguish vid students from the real ones. Those weren't actually intentional, as that would be a little psycho if you really think about it. It was more idiosyncrasies with the video platform, or just plain mistakes (we were a grindhouse and turned out several hundred vids in a very short period).

Nowadays, I hear so often that so much has been lost. With the modern day ease of publishing, I know so many attempting to document forms and systems. That's great. But you can't dis your readers (take it from me, I do it all the time and see where it gets me ).

If SD poached the form, so what? At least they poached from a decent source. BSL poached forms. Songshan Shaolin poaches forms. I have little issue with that. In this rare case, poaching reduces the endangered.

I'm so tempted to merge this back into the IS-Dfr just to get it back over the 1K hump again. On the other hand, maybe I'll wait until that's crossed again to do it...
    As long as the actual source of something is acknowledged, I would probably classify it as adopting it rather than poaching (stealing) it. Especially if the material was intentionally released for the implied purpose of allowing the public to learn it. I do feel that learning from scratch from a book or vid/DVD is never ideal. Even if it's the same style but a different lineage. Ultimately, if someone really wants to learn it and has no access to actual instruction, book/DVD is okay initially, but at some point, if possible, the learner needs qualified corrections. Even without markers, you cannot get the fine points alone, especially from a book.

My own CLF Sifu puts markers in forms when demonstrating publicly, and so did I, back when I used to demo.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I voted to close this thread, B read my old post from what I feel SD is , Then decide, , and C as you Judge so shall you be Judged. KC
    I'm not gonna dig thru 1000 pages to see what you think. You engaged me after my critique. If you want people to see what you think, then re-post it or link it up.

As for being judged, you and the flying spaghetti monster can judge me all you want.

And for the record, we all judge. We judge every single person we meet. All of us. Anyone who denies that is either full of sh1t or very slow in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The word 'poach' comes from the same root from which we derive 'pouch' and 'pocket'. When Pitbull poaches Toots Hibbert for his 'Don't stop the party' anyone who knows musical history can tell. Unfortunately, most people don't know their history and such poaching has run rampant in both music and the martial arts nowadays. However, it's probably more efficient to just lay out your case and be done with it. Instead of trying to get a poacher to admit what he pocketed, just teach the next gen the history and move on.
    I've released uncleared samples. Depends on what I used, how much of it I used and how I used it. There are some where you really have no choice, but if I think I can get away with it, I don't clear it. Just call me poacher!!! That being said, if I was called out, I would come clean. I'm not gonna lie about it. I've even put names in credits that I sampled without clearance. I'm usually pretty up front with what I clear and what I don't.

Blog Entries
    all i can say is if JIM JONES left to forum, it will be a much better place. gung fu has no time for pooseys
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    ...That being said, if I was called out, I would come clean. I'm not gonna lie about it. I've even put names in credits that I sampled without clearance. I'm usually pretty up front with what I clear and what I don't.
    Exactly. Honest representation.

Blog Entries
    I've released uncleared samples. Depends on what I used, how much of it I used and how I used it. There are some where you really have no choice, but if I think I can get away with it, I don't clear it. Just call me poacher!!! That being said, if I was called out, I would come clean. I'm not gonna lie about it. I've even put names in credits that I sampled without clearance. I'm usually pretty up front with what I clear and what I don't.
    you make beats?

Frank, why are they calling the form U-Ming and not Ng Ying. Can't they steal the language along with the form?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Does any of your money end up in SKT's pockets anymore? Do you continue to pay dues? Who is your Sifu?

I respect that you are willing to admit what others will not. We can be friends lol
    No, not since 2009. But I stopped training for health reasons (bum hip).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries
    Frank, why are they calling the form U-Ming and not Ng Ying. Can't they steal the language along with the form?
    Ng Ying, Um Ying. but i think U-ming was a typo. could be wrong. but i know its Ng Ying.

Um Ying would be fine too at least that is how it sounds. U-Ming which was used repeatedly by some others i was thinking might be some other language. Sin The was Korean wasn't he?

Blog Entries
    idk.....but his name is bad news from the get go. THE SIN evil incarnate.

here you go Drake and Syn7

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Ok so we are almost there there have been challenges and arguing and even a real challenge match derived from this Thread. So here is the TRUE story of SD.
    Some is made up by GMT based on what he learned in Indonesia, from GM Ie and others associated with him. It has a Karateesk flavor through out due to so much emphasis being placed in the start from the 1-30 Motor memory and Muscle memory etc. U will notice that those who trained in other systems do the Forms different and with different Dynamics. Dependent upon the style they studied.
    The forms are of Chinese Origin but the dynamics arent stressed so they appear "wrong". The Uniforms are Cheap and easier to get . But do look more like Shaolin Monk out fits than some I have seen. THere is alot of good peoplein it and some not so good, Morally and skill wise. I trained in it and still do with some exception. I like the Forms where ever they come from a Book, a video or GM Ie. Repetition develops skill , KUng Fu. A man asked me what is best the other day street fighter or a karate guy I said it is the individual not the art. So i ask all take SD people for who they are and themselves not their opinion of the art they study. KC
    Here is what I wrote
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Respect ?

As if I care if any of you respect me, I dont. But I ask how are we to know where anything came from? We do not know any more where it came from than any of you, All we can do is speculate at best KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    you make beats?
    Part DJ, part producto, all B-Boy...