View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1027 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 27527927977101710251026102710281029103710771127 ... LastLast
Results 15,391 to 15,405 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    No, not since 2009. But I stopped training for health reasons (bum hip).
    Sorry to hear that man. I hope you aren't giving up on exercise coz of pain. Maybe you can go find some more yang forms or something. How old are you? But I can totally see why you would leave an external style because of hip problems. Maybe you need some titanium in that b1tch!

I fear for my knees. I really do. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I still wear tensors when I run. If I can't flip around, life as I know it is over. It would be good for some of my projects that I'm building tho. lol Lots of inside time I've got so many ongoing projects that are just waiting for that one part that I need to find or fab.

Blog Entries
    Part DJ, part producto, all B-Boy...
    zulu nation

you got any beats on youtube?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

It is kind of funny I know of a school who always talked about shaolin do and I now know that they teach some of our forms
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    make certain to watch Season One and all the other bits on their YT page - it's gold, I tell ya, GOLD!
    I watched some.... it was ok. I'll watch the rest if I get bored. Kind of a rip off of the office(which wasn't that original itself).

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Here is what I wrote
    Wow. Ok so before I comment, I have a few questions.

Can you please expand on this:

I trained in it and still do with some exception
    You still paying dues? Who is your sifu? What is YOUR lineage? I showed you mine, now you show me yours.

While I agree with the statement that it is more about the work put in than the technique itself, you can't deny that some technique has more benefit than others. Agreed?

I would go against any purely SD member in my weight class. No question. Not a challenge, just stating the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    zulu nation

you got any beats on youtube?
    No. If you are really interested I'll pm my email addy. I compartmentalize my internet usage. I have my reasons, but I'm not gonna get into that here. I'm not here to promote music. In fact I hate promoting myself, PERIOD! I like flying under the radar. I let other people pimp my sh1t.

The Beatnuts and the Alkaholiks teamed up to form a tour group called LikNutts. I know it sounds like a joke, but I'm dead serious. And being from the bay, I know you know who the liks are!!!

Blog Entries
    No. If you are really interested I'll pm my email addy. I compartmentalize my internet usage. I have my reasons, but I'm not gonna get into that here. I'm not here to promote music. In fact I hate promoting myself, PERIOD! I like flying under the radar. I let other people pimp my sh1t.

The Beatnuts and the Alkaholiks teamed up to form a tour group called LikNutts. I know it sounds like a joke, but I'm dead serious. And being from the bay, I know you know who the liks are!!!
    i feel you bro. yeah i know who they are. was just bumpin some **** from them the other day.

here's one of our gigs back in 92. you can see me with the hat behind the dancers. 3 dj's 6 turntables
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKq9m-2vnq8

hers's our boys qbert n mix master mike (beatie boys new dj)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1trx1...eature=related
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-15-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

lol. I know who the piklz are. Can't forget Apollo man, he was the glue!

I have that rsc set on vhs somewhere.
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-15-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Sorry to hear that man. I hope you aren't giving up on exercise coz of pain. Maybe you can go find some more yang forms or something. How old are you? But I can totally see why you would leave an external style because of hip problems. Maybe you need some titanium in that b1tch!

I fear for my knees. I really do. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I still wear tensors when I run. If I can't flip around, life as I know it is over. It would be good for some of my projects that I'm building tho. lol Lots of inside time I've got so many ongoing projects that are just waiting for that one part that I need to find or fab.
    Not just because of pain. Work obligations and family obligations and degenerative arthritis all together make training difficult. I go the the shooting range and work some internal forms. The hip replacement is coming: just depends on my tolerance for pain. I'm actually holding out until my two little ones get old enough to get into martial arts and then I'll get the replacement and start with them so we can come up through a style together and I can help them while focusing on fundamentals again (at least that's the plan).

I'm almost 38. It's not the years, its the mileage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Um Ying would be fine too at least that is how it sounds. U-Ming which was used repeatedly by some others i was thinking might be some other language. Sin The was Korean wasn't he?
    Sin The is Chinese. And the title of the thread came from buddhajoe (HSCLF).

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Wow. Ok so before I comment, I have a few questions.

Can you please expand on this:

You still paying dues? Who is your sifu? What is YOUR lineage? I showed you mine, now you show me yours.

While I agree with the statement that it is more about the work put in than the technique itself, you can't deny that some technique has more benefit than others. Agreed?

I would go against any purely SD member in my weight class. No question. Not a challenge, just stating the facts.
    You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway:

1989 to 1994 SD with Vernard Whitaker in Pound VA. 1994 to 1997 no teacher. Played around with some karate and jijitsu, but nothing formal; 1997 to 2001 a little Aikido with JJ Tracey; 2001-2009: SD with Mike Mullins, Kevin Mullins and Garry Mullins plus a lot of cross-training with as many people as possible. 2009 - present: No formal training.

At one time, I would love to spar with you. But I will say this about kwaichang. I would be wary of tangling with him. He's a big and athletic boy with a lot of experience in SD and other arts. He knows how to use what he has learned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Thank You JP

Ok I will tell you what I mean by with exception. I do not train formally with anyone at this time, In SD I trained hard and consistently for 21 years in it though, I now do the Mantis and Huas , and Black Tigers , all the Pa Kua and Tai Chi and the weapons forms as well. Non of the Lower rank stuff except Tigers and White crane. Brown and black belt stuff, also the Drunken Immortals and my Fav Hsing Ie. Prior to this I was a Professional boxer with 12 st Gym nashville and a PKA kick Boxer as wellfrom 79-84. Shotokan from 79-92. 7* Tang Lang and Hung Gar from 72-82 some over lap there. You wouldnt know my Teachers, Most of My SD was Private probably over 200 hours worth. I love to train and barring a Back injury have trained w/o a break for 41 years. Except for 45 days and JP knows when and what that was about. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    when you're lineage begins to admit the true origin of our 5 animal form, ya gets no respect from me at all till then.
    Claiming ownership of a form leads to blatant douchebaggery as best demonstrated by Sin The. If you learn your martial theory from a form, you are incompetent. Period. Frankly I see nothing wrong with a trained martial artist taking a form they have seen in a book or video and using it. If you believe that performing a set of maneuvers in a set order makes you better than performing similar moves in a different order, then you are a sushi player, or a superstitious ninny.

People get better fighting by applying moves to opponents (i.e. sparring). People become capable of sparring by practicing their moves in open air (forms or repetiton of individual moves). The idea that someone owns or transmits a form to someone is an archaic belief best left in the past, or to Sin The's bogus lawsuits.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

Darth Lawyer

I agree somewhat with what you say , however I feel with proper body mechanics and Forms training it will instill a set of techniques that convey a particular set of Principles to a fight situation. each technique should be thought of as a singular approach then one can skip from tech 1 to tech 10 if needed as the situation requires. That to me is why drilling forms is important . KC

Syn 7

If Imay ask what is your weight class anyway , just curious. KC