View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 103 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 353931011021031041051131532036031103 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Hey UofL is in the final four. ..............L'Yeah !
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I don't think SD claims to be like "those current inhabitants of the temple who were installed by the communist Chinese government after most of the REAL kung-fu left".

I never heard a comparison to current Shaolin, it was always a historic link that was mentioned.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Stance Training(not everyone in SD has the crappy stances you see online)

Reply]
    This is common to all Chinese arts, not just Shaolin

>>Chin Na technique

Reply]
    Everyone does this, even NON CMA's

>>Iron Body (Shin/Forearm/Shirt/etc)

Reply]
    Again, this is common to most Asian arts...even OYD has thier method.

>Physical Conditioning

Reply]
    Again, common to ALL martial arts of every geographic location.

From what I see, SD's claim is that they ARE Shaolin Temple kung Fu, and the only source for the entire thing. Yet, from what I have seen of thier online forms in the past, they bear VERY little resembance to authentic Shaolin Kung Fu at all. I kept an open mind untill I saw thier Mantis set.

It beared no resemblance to ANY mantis I have see. Manits is heavily influanced by Tai Tzu, the art I research and play with. So when I look at Mantis, I am looking at my Tai Tzu + some. When I look at SD's Mantis, I saw Karate with nothing more than a "Mantis hand" added on the end of the arm instead of punches.

There was no body structure, mechanics, or even the flavor of real Mantis. The techniques are were all "Disconnected", and didn't make any sense. One thing about Chinese forms, the techniques will work as seen in the form, usually against alot of diferent situations. The SD stuff I have seen looked like it was just basic moves stuck together, like punces, kicks and whatever. They did not seem to be a chain of various "Solutions" like CMA forms useually are, let alone ANYTHING of a real Shaolin flavor.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Well KC has so eloquently brought up a post from the past when i "WAS" a good and dedicated soldier at SD. im sure you could find lots of posts here when i was known as "Drunken ostrich" and was defending SD and such.

but as i stated before KC,,if you would like to talk with me i would be more than happy to explain to you my perspective of things now. Or you could go back in this thread and find where i began posting here(around page 40 something).

or you could give me a ring KC. you know how to get in touch with me.

PEACE,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BM2
    Hey UofL is in the final four. ..............L'Yeah !
    Too bad they're going to get pounded by my alma mater, Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    One thing about Chinese forms, the techniques will work as seen in the form, usually against alot of diferent situations. The SD stuff I have seen looked like it was just basic moves stuck together, like punces, kicks and whatever. They did not seem to be a chain of various "Solutions" like CMA forms useually are, let alone ANYTHING of a real Shaolin flavor.
    You speak of the dirty flow word, most of the SD stuff you see on the internet doesn't. Forms here are taught to flow together, things that are supposed to have angular and circular movement do. Do I flow? Nope, my forms suck.

I wouldn't consider myself remotely knowledgable on mantis. I have one mantis form, as mention earlier the one we usually refer to as "thrust". Thrust uses it's entire body to perform technique, particularly using the torso and lower back to strike with the mantis claw. The form also never retreats, it's always moving towards the opponent. I'm assuming you've seen the clip mantis clip on the Colorado site. The way I was taught thrust it has very little in common with that clip.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

Quote Originally Posted by BM2
    JP's posts are among the best from any in SD . I think we should make JP the SD spokesmodel
    Aw Shucks. *blushes*
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    Aw Shucks. *blushes*
    Sorry, JP is insufficiently hot to be SD spokemodel. We'll have to look to some of the west coast schools for people who are suitable.

To be fair, "thrust" contains little mantis footwork. There are mantis forms in sd that do have more traditional footwork, but not thrust. The mantis claw in SD is used for both striking and "listening" which is a basic mantis fundamental principle. "Thrust" also relies heavily on what we call the invert kick which is a princple technique to the other mantis I've been exposed to. I know more mantis outside of SD than I know from SD. (2 to 1). One of the mantis forms I've been exposed to has an SD counterpart that is more similar to whqat you would expect to see (including footwork) than the SD mantis that has been displayed on the internet. I believe the mantis clip of GM Sin everyone mentions is from "thrust" as well.

Gotta leave this debate until tomorrow. Running late. . . .
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by lxtruong
    Sorry, JP is insufficiently hot to be SD spokemodel. We'll have to look to some of the west coast schools for people who are suitable.
    Hey, I've got that Richad Gear grey going on. That's hot! Although I've seen some SD ladies that I'd rather talk to then my mug.

Really, must. . . . . . stop. . . . . . . typing. . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lxtruong
    Why can't we hire that Asian modeling chick JP was talking about yesterday?

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

WS i read your posts I do not find any viable info to prove your point no one will find any the history is lost and or passed down by word of mouth etc. as we al l know stories change over time. Also I trained in Tang Lang sytems as well as Hung Gar years before kung fu even became as popular as it is now and the Mantis taught at shaolin does have progressive flowing techniques but to teach something it has to be broken down timing and rythm changes the application of any technique even mantis kc

OOPs i ment at shaolin do kc

RD - "From what I see, SD's claim is that they ARE Shaolin Temple kung Fu, and the only source for the entire thing. Yet, from what I have seen of thier online forms in the past, they bear VERY little resembance to authentic Shaolin Kung Fu at all."

You are basing your opinion of "authentic" on something that SD DENIES to be authentic, I think.
    The link to shaolin is historic, as I understand it. SD is not the only style I've seen refer to the contemporary Shaolin monks as "very pretty wushu and not traditional kungfu". SDer's are taught to believe that when the Southern Shaolin temple was destroyed all the "real" martial monks left. One monk, the highest ranking (so goes the story) martial monk is considered the founder of SD. The SD reasoning is ...from my observations...that since he was the temple "leader" and had the "full" shaolin system, SD is the direct and true lineage of the HISTORIC shaolin temple.
    That's the argument, and there's plenty to attack but very little "fact" to settle the whole thing.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhnoti
    that since he was the temple "leader" and had the "full" shaolin system, SD is the direct and true lineage of the HISTORIC shaolin temple.
    That's the argument, and there's plenty to attack but very little "fact" to settle the whole thing.
    they don't provide an ounce of proof, that he even existed. if he was really a master of shaolin's fighter monks, than wouldn't they have included into their history. they have lineage going back hundreds years, some 30+ generations. you would think one of those generations history might slipped it in there.