View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1036 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 36536936986102610341035103610371038104610861136 ... LastLast
Results 15,526 to 15,540 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Very well said. I'll add to it that I think much of it was modified based on Sin The's personal talents and skills and what he liked, didn't like or what he thought his students could learn at the time. Remember, early on the curriculim was smaller and focused more on conditioning and fighting. I think later, after financial difficulty, he started teaching more and more forms and probably using other's materials and calling it his own in order to keep up with the demand for more forms.

I think if you look at his brother's site, you will see a smaller curriculim. What overlaps there was probably the material that Sin The was actually taught in Indonesia.
    I think that's exactly right. Hiang's material up to 1st black is almost identical, including the short kata and sparring techinques. There's an expansion of the bird, which we now know is because Hiang learned those from a different teacher at Ie's school but, generally, there's less upper belt material there.

I am going to merge this into the IS-DfR eventually.

Just because it's a pain in the butt to have to read the flaming on two threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    As far as admitting fault, I fall back on the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
    Nice quote drop. Sort of sums it all up now, doesn't it?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Now, now HSK, be humble.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    if you had a lineage like mine, you'd be proud too. i'm so happy we never had the tags of frauds, liars, sexual misconduct and the like. Lau Bun was called the Sage of the Martial World.
    Don't get me wrong. I have great respect for GM Lau Bun and personally sought out Sifu Dino for the SEP+OCT 09 cover story (note that I seldom go after our cover story like that - they come to me - in fact, I usually have to beat them back with a stick). Nevertheless, the history of your lineage crosses into dark society with Tong connections. Be careful where you tread here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Don't get me wrong. I have great respect for GM Lau Bun and personally sought out Sifu Dino for the SEP+OCT 09 cover story (note that I seldom go after our cover story like that - they come to me - in fact, I usually have to beat them back with a stick). Nevertheless, the history of your lineage crosses into dark society with Tong connections. Be careful where you tread here.
    Even in a dark society there is light. I am proud of my lineage for NOT being a bunch of criminals but for being a good, stand up, fighting school who for almost 8 decades participate in annual charity work. Within our lineage, specifically under my sifu, we have students who became military, police officers, and honest business men. One of my own students is becoming a doctor. Lau Bun, Jew Leong and my Sifu have all been rightly given huge respect for WHO they are, not for their connections.

You won't read about anyone from my lineage being involved in crime, especially under my sifu. and you won't find anyone in my lineage faking the funk like Shaolin Do.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-19-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Just because it's a pain in the butt to have to read the flaming on two threads...

Nice quote drop. Sort of sums it all up now, doesn't it?
    That's too bad, because some of the posts dealing with the 5-Animal form and also CLF were informative.

I agree 100 percent with Orion Paximus's post.

And I do respect that.

I respect it enough to keep quiet and be humble. It's like the first rule of fight club...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm not planning to delete it

I just like to keep my SD flame wars caged into one thread here, so as not to muddle the rest of the Shaolin forum too much.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    I respect it enough to keep quiet and be humble. It's like the first rule of fight club...
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-19-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    I laughed for about 5 minutes...

then I cried, a little, because there are so many who have this

then I laughed again...
    TGY......too funny

Syn7

Bob Cook has big hands but not that big. my classmate used a wide angle lens.

Blog Entries
    Bob Cook has big hands but not that big. my classmate used a wide angle lens.
    i always wanted to know about that. when i first saw his hands i was like WTF....

Don't get me wrong. I have great respect for GM Lau Bun and personally sought out Sifu Dino for the SEP+OCT 09 cover story (note that I seldom go after our cover story like that - they come to me - in fact, I usually have to beat them back with a stick).
    WHY ARE YOU NOT RETURNING MY CALLS, GENE? MY NUDE KUNG FU STYLE IS PERFECT FOR THE NEXT COVER! It's GOLD, Gene, GOLD!!

Joseph Eagar is another dude with abnormally large hands. http://www.eagarkungfu.com/apps/phot...toid=121719554

he's prone to wearing those southern wrist guards that only accentuate it. I dunno but it freaks me out.

I've seen video of two different Chinese masters (thinly built) who had freakishly large hands/long fingers. I know that one of them was a Fut Gar master, and I think the other was also a southern stylist. Almost like Nosferatu's hands.

I know right???