View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1040 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 40540940990103010381039104010411042105010901140 ... LastLast
Results 15,586 to 15,600 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    oh lord help me, they know im gay!

have mercy on my soul
    sin the will take you to the moons of jupiter

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    did ur mom change her hair-do?

Blog Entries
    i prefer Moons over my Hammy
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    That "praying mantis" at 0:38-0:43 shows exactly zero understanding of the mantis hand. A little part of me died on the inside...

Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Step View Post
    That "praying mantis" at 0:38-0:43 shows exactly zero understanding of the mantis hand. A little part of me died on the inside...
    see? he's that good that he can kill you (albeit in small bits) just by performing the form...

but srsly, yeah, that mantis is pathetic; of course, the SD people will say "that's just how we play it"

Do you consider this a better expression/understanding of mantis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rum8HfHYLRI

Blog Entries

even if he does, you don't plan on learning what you see in that video are you? why don't you have video of your own expression?

That video was awesome HSK....funny thing is a lot of Kung Fu schools do use the Black to White ranking system with their sashes....crazy China-men from Thailand..

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post

That's southern mantis, it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post

That's "southern" mantis, which evolved completely separate from "northern" mantis, no relation at all, and I cannot really comment if it was good for southern mantis. Their interprettion of the mantis, I believe, is to use the hands in a whipping motion, possibly similar to the chun. I would ask a southern mantis practicioner for a better answer.

The "mantis hand" in northern mantis is what sin the was badly attempting to do in the SD video.

The index finger "poke" that sin the was doing was silly. The northern style hand is not meant to be a gay-@ss finger poke, rather the hand form is the final position from a grab-twist-pull movement. That was our interpretation of the mantis, to reach out, grab the opponent, and draw him back in. The fingers curl in from the pinky first, and finally with the the index finger sticking out. Kind of like the crane hook hand in tai chi's "single whip" movement. That hand is not in any way meant to be a "poke", but a hand form that symbolizes a grabbing motion.

I hope that was clear as mud...
    Last edited by Crushing Step; 10-20-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Northern mantis hand: Hook, Grapple, Pluck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tk_LhEpgQE

[QUOTE=Crushing Step;1193103]That's "southern" mantis, which evolved completely separate from "northern" mantis, no relation at all, and I cannot really comment if it was good for southern mantis. Their interprettion of the mantis, I believe, is to use the hands in a whipping motion, possibly similar to the chun. I would ask a southern mantis practicioner for a better answer.

[QUOTE]

That was not Southern Mantis. Not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries
    That was not Southern Mantis. Not even close.
    question. when you thought Shaolin Do was really shaolin, how would you know what real southern mantis looks like? did you learn from a mantis teacher?? just a question

funny.....

look , you are responding and you dont even know what you are responding to anymore. stupid

That's "southern" mantis, which evolved completely separate from "northern" mantis, no relation at all, and I cannot really comment if it was good for southern mantis. Their interprettion of the mantis, I believe, is to use the hands in a whipping motion, possibly similar to the chun. I would ask a southern mantis practicioner for a better answer.

The "mantis hand" in northern mantis is what sin the was badly attempting to do in the SD video.

The index finger "poke" that sin the was doing was silly. The northern style hand is not meant to be a gay-@ss finger poke, rather the hand form is the final position from a grab-twist-pull movement. That was our interpretation of the mantis, to reach out, grab the opponent, and draw him back in. The fingers curl in from the pinky first, and finally with the the index finger sticking out. Kind of like the crane hook hand in tai chi's "single whip" movement. That hand is not in any way meant to be a "poke", but a hand form that symbolizes a grabbing motion.

I hope that was clear as mud...
    I agree with you about most of this and understand completely.

So, your mantis style never uses fingers to poke or to shape the forearm for mantis elbows and techniques?