View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1051 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 515519511001104110491050105110521053106111011151 ... LastLast
Results 15,751 to 15,765 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Thieves justifying their thievery. And THEN whining like little *****es when they get called out on it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Blog Entries
    Thieves justifying their thievery. And THEN whining like little *****es when they get called out on it.
    ____
    thats the worst part of it all. supposed to be some grown up ass people. their true faces showed up quite clearly.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    wow , I think I am gonna cry, NoT! What a dumb@$$. you all think really high of yourselves, bullsh!t. Just sh!t talking @$$holes.
    Wow! He was being nice and you still broke? He was forthright and honest about his opinion and was relatively civilized and you still lost your composure?

Reminds me of when I was arguing with an ex of mine. She would never EVER give any ground and when she was backed into a corner with no intelligent answer she would just lash out. Needless to say, the relationship didn't last long.

I think it's okay to be wrong. What isn't okay is when people can't ever admit to being wrong. We are all wrong all the time. Sometimes we know it, sometimes we don't. We all say things we wish we could take back or re-word for more clarity. When it's brought to our attention the grown up thing to do is to acknowledge the mistake and move on. Saying "FU man, FU(kc's words), what an @sshole(yours), bluh bluh" are words of frustration. Very irrational. Weak.
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-25-2012 at 05:41 PM.

I really can't understand why it's so difficult for some to just be honest about the source of something. I have no problem admitting I learned the CLF Cheung Kune set, markers and all, off of a DVD, the only form I've ever learned that way. True, I've already been in CLF nearly 20 years by now, so it's not such a stretch to pick it up. I can't imagine trying to learn any set from CLF with no basics, apps, etc., etc., and only a karate background and trying to incorporate it, though.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-25-2012 at 05:44 PM.

No please dont

Say any more your ignorance, rudeness and purile attitude out shines the sun KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Blog Entries
    Wow! He was being nice and you still broke? He was forthright and honest about his opinion and was relatively civilized and you still lost your composure?
    bustas will be bustas bro. all bark, no bite. Simpin ain't easy, but somone gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post

Reminds me of when I was arguing with an ex of mine. She would never EVER give any ground and when she was backed into a corner with no intelligent answer she would just lash out. Needless to say, the relationship didn't last long.

I think it's okay to be wrong. What isn't okay is when people can't ever admit to being wrong. We are all wrong all the time. Sometimes we know it, sometimes we don't. We all say things we wish we could take back or re-word for more clarity. When it's brought to our attention the grown up thing to do is to acknowledge the mistake and move on. Saying "FU man, FU(kc's words), what an @sshole(yours), bluh bluh" are words of frustration. Very irrational. Weak.
    I wish I could say I had expected better, but honestly I didn't; he's pretty puerile in that regard, altho I wager he fancies himself quite the raconteur...

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    bustas will be bustas bro. all bark, no bite. Simpin ain't easy, but somone gotta do it.
    If I might avail myself of the opportunity to graciously respond to you, sir, in your own lingua franca:

<ahem>

True dat!

I believe that I have aptly communicated the pith of the matter.

Blog Entries
    If I might avail myself of the opportunity to graciously respond to you, sir, in your own lingua franca:

<ahem>

True dat!

I believe that I have aptly communicated the pith of the matter.
    oh! i see. an aristocrat!!!!

Kanga Roddy

you'd be a KUNGARATE.
    Never mind Big Bird...
    TV Series, "Kanga Roddy"

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Never mind Big Bird...
    TV Series, "Kanga Roddy"

I...

I...

Ay-yai-yaaaaai....

thats the worst part of it all. supposed to be some grown up ass people. their true faces showed up quite clearly.
    grown up ass people?

lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    yes. grown UP ASS people

"Sin The Karate"

http://www.sinthe.com/

that says it right there. never question your karate roots again.
    I have to say, sir, you've done a lot better than that in your critiques before. You act like you've discovered some big secret. Sin The's school was called "Sin The Karate School," and even "Shaolin Karate-Do", starting back in the 60's. Back then I suspect if he called it "kung fu" no one would have known what he was talking about, but "karate" was not unheard of. I would also suspect back then more people, when they heard the word "karate," thought of Asian martial arts in general, and didn't know karate from judo. Although I wasn't there and have no authority for this, I've always theorized that GMT's school in Indonesia didn't get all hung up on what they called their "style," i.e. "kung fu" or anything else, and so when he started his classes in Lexington, Kentucky in the mid 60's, he just picked a name (or more accurately a "word") that back then was synonymous with "martial arts" in general, and he didn't care (or more likely didn't think about) people complaining, 50 years later, that it's not really "karate" in the sense of coming from Japan or Okinawa. Or maybe, with all the other Japanese traditions observed (uniforms like gi's, belts, "dan" ranking, "kata," etc.), the word "karate" was used in Indonesia, too.

And not knowing the difference was not just Kentucky. Here's soem trivia: read "Goldfinger," first published in the 50's, Ian Fleming talks about Oddjob's mastery of Karate like no one had ever heard of it, comparing it to judo "like a Howitzer is to a flyswatter," or something like that. (Fleming did the same thing in introducing Ninjitsu in "You Only Live Twice" a few years later; I think maybe the first Western mention of it in literature?).

But just saying "karate" on a sign or label doesn't mean it has its origins in Japanese or Okinawan arts. Of course you and many others have complained that using the word "Shaolin" in the same sign and label is bogus. If there is some karate elements in it, or it just looks that way to some people from some examples of its practitioners, that is one thing, but a word picked 50 years ago does not make it so.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)