View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1075 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 755759751025106510731074107510761077108511251175 ... LastLast
Results 16,111 to 16,125 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Dont Mind me I am just a guy who has seen the Grand mastr of SJ perform techniques when he was alive. Dont mind me. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQp-qX2OIZs

This weekend I'll even post some crappy form work.

I'm going to make you choke on your own words until you love me.
    Is that a samurai sword on the wall in the background?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    My White Monkey STP in my sig looks better than some Seven Star that I've seen on youtube--or at least as good as some mediocre ones.
    Your form looks like a karate guy doing kung fu, which is what I expect of anything coming from a SD school.

BYTT is a widely practiced form in many styles of mantis. But what you perceive as awesome and powerful, better than 7 star guys, is the karate-like adherance to "powerful" movements that are in fact choppy, disconnected, and contrary to the actual teaching of that form.

On the plus side, it is good to see that SD was teaching a legit mantis form. On the other hand, this is also widely available enough to have been pulled from a video or a book, I wouldn't give SD much credit unless you could show me a mantis sifu in your lineage. Which you can't.

I can vouch for KC. He can't type, but he can fight.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    "Shaolin" is a facade, and its residency in a place of martial arts authority (granted by a government bureau) does not make it authentic. I'm not saying SD is authentic. I'm saying the name "shaolin" doesn't mean much anymore, since Shaolin temple teaches basically everything.....including "shaolin groundfighting." LOL. It's a term that's as generic as "kung fu," and if it denotes anything, it's that the martial artist doing "shaolin" is wearing an orange jumpsuit.

So what is "shaolin" nowadays?
    Shaolin is a very distinctive set of Northern Chinese martial arts taught in the region that surrounds the Shaolin Temple. It's hardly generic and it doesn't just mean everything. It's "authority" comes from it's place in Chinese cultural heritage, that's what the government is selling. The government didn't grant it, they're exploiting it.

What's with the kindergarten playground moral justification?

"If they can call it Shaolin why can't I?"

"Timmy made up Shaolin ground fighting so it's ok if I call this mess here Shaolin too."

Call it Shaolin all you want but people who know better are going to shit all over it.

Shuai Jiao predates Judo by, oh, I don't know, several thousand years.

Dropping to a knee will cost you a point.

There is one exception that I know of but it isn't related to any bao tui techniques. In the case of Xiao De He (similar to Judo's Kouchi Gari) you're allowed to drop to a knee without losing a point.

Headlocks are ok but you're not allowed to grab your other hand or arm to lock it in.
    I'm curious, what is the reason that dropping to a knee is disfavored in SJ techniques?

Hey I type a blazin 16 words a minute. What chu talkin bout willis. KC thanks JP I have lost 24 # now when I get down another 20 I will be in fightin shape and ready to rumble. KC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Hey I type a blazin 16 words a minute. What chu talkin bout willis. KC thanks JP I have lost 24 # now when I get down another 20 I will be in fightin shape and ready to rumble. KC
    KC, with typing and fighting it's about the accuracy not the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I'm curious, what is the reason that dropping to a knee is disfavored in SJ techniques?
    It's only disfavored inasmuch as it will cost you a point in competition.

If the rules changed so would the game. It's all about context, something Shaolin Do fails to grasp on a fundamental level.

Is that a samurai sword on the wall in the background?
    Not our space we just rent from a Taiji school, there's also a western style broad sword on the wall.

I can vouch for KC. He can't type, but he can fight.
    Well let's see it then. He wants to call people out to post footage he better man the fuck up.

Dont Mind me I am just a guy who has seen the Grand mastr of SJ perform techniques when he was alive. Dont mind me. KC
    You watched something once? Wow. I'm over. fucking. whelmed. You're obviously an expert of the highest caliber.

Which is impressive for a developmentally disabled 12 year old girl.

Did I say once sorry I ve only trained in TCMA and SD for around 41 years. seen quite a bit in that time. Jhoon Rhee , and others. Longer than u have been alive . BTW punk watch you language . KC

Did I say once sorry I ve only trained in TCMA and SD for around 41 years. seen quite a bit in that time. Jhoon Rhee , and others. Longer than u have been alive . BTW punk watch you language . KC
    Still waiting sweetheart.

dont be scurrr'd

I dont want you to learn my secret SD forms and techniques cause then you would be pretty good. Cause you aint now. But I might put somethin up one day. whan I can I dont have any right now. I will get with JP on that he is close. KC

It's only disfavored inasmuch as it will cost you a point in competition.

If the rules changed so would the game. It's all about context, something Shaolin Do fails to grasp on a fundamental level.
    Do u do any groundwork? Only asking bc I'd be able to counter every one of those throws to wind up in an advantageous position. Competition is what it is, I know. Bjj has competition rules, but they wouldn't stop me form choking out som shuai jiao cats

SJ reminds me of high school wrestling. Too many rules, and action stops way too early. From a martial perspective, I mean. Not denigrating the art

But if I drop all my weight to one knee for a single leg, none of this techniques are worth a ****. Which is why I don't see the point of SJ outside of competition
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 11-01-2012 at 08:55 AM.