View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1076 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 765769761026106610741075107610771078108611261176 ... LastLast
Results 16,126 to 16,140 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Do u do any groundwork? Only asking bc I'd be able to counter every one of those throws to wind up in an advantageous position. Competition is what it is, I know. Bjj has competition rules, but they wouldn't stop me form choking out som shuai jiao cats
    Careful Wookie... there are SJ people here in ATL that might (or might not?) beg to differ.

One thing to remember is there's always somebody. You don't know about those guys. I'm sure there's some kind of levels involved & we could be seeing a beginner/intermediate level class. We don't know... you don't know.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Careful Wookie... there are SJ people here in ATL that might (or might not?) beg to differ.

One thing to remember is there's always somebody. You don't know about those guys. I'm sure there's some kind of levels involved & we could be seeing a beginner/intermediate level class. We don't know... you don't know.
    I know lin's guys in Atlanta are supposed to be great. Ive been invited many times to practice with tjem bit i work diring their meet timea. But I'm talking mechanics. The holds are too high and they can't stop anyone who drops all his weight to one knee. If they do ground work then they'd stand a chance. They'd all have to stand lower and have different holds to protect the shot, which negates most of SJ

Test it. Have someone grab you and resist. Then drop hard to one knee and seize a leg. Now drive your shoulder into the knee an dpull backwards. It's leverage, and its hard to stop .
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 11-01-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Also the first technique we saw in harimau

You missed the point of my comment Wook.

Have fun.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

SJ reminds me of high school wrestling. Too many rules, and action stops way too early. From a martial perspective, I mean. Not denigrating the art

But if I drop all my weight to one knee for a single leg, none of this techniques are worth a ****. Which is why I don't see the point of SJ outside of competition
    Do u do any groundwork? Only asking bc I'd be able to counter every one of those throws to wind up in an advantageous position. Competition is what it is, I know. Bjj has competition rules, but they wouldn't stop me form choking out som shuai jiao cats
    I train mma too and the main thing I have difficulty transitioning to is the lack of grip fighting. Any advantageousness of the level change allowed by dropping to a knee is nullified when I am controlling you with grip fighting in the first place.

BJJ takedowns share some of the same dependency and mechanics of grip fighting compared to no gi wrestling that Shuai Jiao does.

We're not Shaolon Do, we understand the importance of context, if chokes and ground work are in play we have no problem adjusting.

Your overconfidence is unjustified.

Probably did, lol.

SJ is sound against a striker. And no doubt most probably cross train. But mechanics are mechanics. There's a reason the art won't allow knee work. It virtually negates the art, and the art rprohibits valid counters

But mechanics are mechanics. There's a reason the art won't allow knee work. It virtually negates the art, and the art rprohibits valid counters
    You're straight up wrong.

You're making assumptions based on a narrow sample of free sparring footage. For instance almost all of our techniques when executed cleanly finish with a dominant position.

BJJ isn't exactly the best place to learn takedowns in the first place. Ground fighting? Absolutely, but it's common knowledge in MMA that BJJ takedowns aren't all that.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

You're making assumptions based on a narrow sample of free sparring footage. For instance almost all of our techniques when executed cleanly finish with a dominant position.

BJJ isn't exactly the best place to learn takedowns in the first place. Ground fighting? Absolutely, but it's common knowledge in MMA that BJJ takedowns aren't all that.
    So how exactly do you stop a single leg shot? Most basic bjj takedown, and one used all the time in mma with predictable results. Be specific

Grips or no grips. If I drop to one knee, you'd have to hold all my weight to stop me form dropping to a knee. I'm 180 and nearly all muscle. You think you can hold me up and execute a counter when I've got your leg and am driving a shoulder to the mat?

I can execute those throws if someone wants to remain standing , but I can't hold up the weight of anyone who drops to a knee for a shot, gi or no. I'd be bent over, he'd have his weight lower, and my holds would be useless.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 11-01-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Not attacking you. Just talking ma

So how exactly do you stop a single leg shot? Most basic bjj takedown, and one used all the time in mma with predictable results.
    Technically, the "shot" is a wrestling takedown, and pretty much all defenses to it come from wrestling. The BJJ answer to takedowns is almost always "pull guard."
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Grips or no grips. If I drop to one knee, you'd have to hold all my weight to stop me form dropping to a knee.
    Underhook/overhook to keep you from dropping and turn you to redirect your energy.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

BJJ takedowns share some of the same dependency and mechanics of grip fighting compared to no gi wrestling that Shuai Jiao does.
    Word. Take the Gi away, and some legit BJJ guys have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Underhook/overhook to keep you from dropping and turn you to redirect your energy.
    Exactly. From there shuai jiao would be valuable. You can get a good position with double unders, and maybe even establish a base for a throw if he stands up. But if you don't defend that shot from every tie up, then you'll wind up down on your back from the get go. And most holds wont allow you to stay low enough to defend it and still do shuai jiao.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 11-01-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Exactly. From there shuai jiao would be valuable. You can get a good position with double unders, and maybe even establish a base for a throw if he stands up. But if you don't defend that shot from every tie up, then you'll wind up down on your back from the get go. And most holds wont allow you to stay low enough to defend it and still do shuai jiao.
    Nobody shoots from the tie up. There's not enough space to generate the momentum needed to drive through. You take shots from an arms length away, generally.

You can do a leg/ankle pick from a tie up, but nobody really shoots from that range.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Nobody shoots from the tie up. There's not enough space to generate the momentum needed to drive through. You take shots from an arms length away, generally.

You can do a leg/ankle pick from a tie up, but nobody really shoots from that range.
    You can shoot from a tie up, particularly if you're going for the single leg and want to get it and come back up with it.

In any case, you're right, the defenses are from wrestling. Sprawl and cross face. I love the cross face.