View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1079 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 795799791029106910771078107910801081108911291179 ... LastLast
Results 16,171 to 16,185 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Man you are so far below my intellect that I have to dumb things down so you can even remotely understand what i am saying . You are just a joke and I tir of your purile ways. KC
    If you say it over and over enough times, you may actually come to believe that. Although I may be giving you far more credit than I should. You may very well believe those words, and that would be even worse.

Syn 7 Up, how clever. And even after I mentioned ginger ale. It even kinda rhymes with "butt". Way to throw down.
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-01-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Do you mean puerile?

I call you out for having the mentality of a child and you write "purile" in defense? That's some funny sh1t. I call you a child, and your response is to call me a child, using a word you can't even spell?

I wasn't gonna go there, but after I finished making my sandwich I changed my mind.

Since you have been Dx with it yes i do. So I missed 1 letter , i was typing my 16 words a minute. Syn7up the uncola hahahaha KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Actually, the spelling "mistake" was just icing on the cake and not what I was making fun of. No wonder it seems simple to you, most of it is going right over your head.

You seem to be mixing up WPM with vocab.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Not that I disagree with you, but that was not the single leg drive that SW was talking about. The weight distribution is quite different and the drive comes from up to down to up and hopefully back down again. There is a difference.
    This is the Shaolin Do thread; we have no use for nuance here.

Of course I know that and Ill almost certainly never find anything in SJ with exactly the same mechanics, but if people can teach 'Shaolin' ground fighting and everybody can call anything they want 'Shaolin' then I can say that a single leg is a single leg.

This one's even better...one of my favorites when someone scrambles for grips with the intention of throwing or moving for sweeps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7UrCtjY0w

Again...SJ is a fine art, but it does presuppose that both guys want to remain standing. Its point system is premised on that fact. You can't drop to a knee to snatch a leg. You have to bend over...something that is really a waste of energy if you can drop.

There's a finer application of the knee pull that I can't recall the popular name of at the moment outside of Harimau's first seed (silat). It's so much like a single leg shot that the nuance is small, but it is different because you don't drive forward. you rotate forward and pull back. Doesn't require leverage from the side to snatch up the leg. You can drop right into it and get the knee pull. Plus, you don't have to stand up. It's just a matter of pulling back, driving your shoulder into the knee, and dropping your opponent on his ass. He can't stand, because you force him to squat.

"Running the pipe" wasn't the technique I had in mind, because you tend to remain standing up...and you've got the leg between your legs.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 11-01-2012 at 06:44 PM.

lol. Subjectivity is a friend to all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    You can't drop to a knee to snatch a leg.
    This is not true. You can drop 1 knee but not 2 knees. One point of your body besides your feet to touch the ground is OK. By dropping 1 knees, you can still maintain "mobility". By dropping both knees, your "mobility" is gone. SC is all about "maintain your mobility". Most SC guys don't like to drop their knees infront of their opponent. My teacher always said, "What kind of hero that you may call yourself if you drop your knee infront of your opponent?" In Chinese culture, only a loser drops his knee infront of a winner. Even 1 knee dropping is a sign of "weakness".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-01-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    This one's even better...one of my favorites when someone scrambles for grips with the intention of throwing or moving for sweeps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7UrCtjY0w

Again...SJ is a fine art, but it does presuppose that both guys want to remain standing. Its point system is premised on that fact. You can't drop to a knee to snatch a leg. You have to bend over...something that is really a waste of energy if you can
    With Shuai Jiao jackets and grip fighting the effectiveness of your single leg dimishes by at least fifty percent. Possibly more.

Sorry, the single leg is not the panacea like indefensible technique you think it is. Take Judo, I could be mistaken but I don't think single legs are considered particularly high percentage and you can practically touch the ground all you want.

On a side note: Today I have decided to study Sambo but I'm going to call it Tai Ji JuJitsu cause if Shaolin Do has taught us anything it's that you can just call anything whatever the hell you want.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I don't think single legs are considered particularly high percentage.
    But "single leg" is a good starting point. Before a beginner has developed other throws, the single leg may be the only thing that he can do. It requires the least amout of Shenfa to execute.

If you can force your opponent's leg to come into your hand, your "single leg" will move into another level. One simple example is to use inner hook (Ouchi Gari) to get your opponent's leg. Why do you want to do that for? Your 1st inner hook gets your opponent's left leg. Your 2nd inner hook get his right leg. That fall will be very hard for your opponent. It can be a end-fight throw.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-01-2012 at 07:35 PM.

I knew you would come here. This conversation somehow drifted right into your arena!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I knew you would come here. This conversation somehow drifted right into your arena!
    The Shanxi SC had published a book, "42 different way to execute single leg". I still haven't be able to locate that book yet. You can write a book about "single leg" if you include how to force your opponent's leg to come into your hand.

The "single leg" was the 1st move that I had learned in the Chinese wrestling system. I can never forget about this move.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    But "single leg" is a good starting point. Before a beginner has developed other throws, the single leg may be the only thing that he can do. It requires the least amout of Shenfa to execute.
    It's a pretty high percentage takedown against people who don't train to defend it. You see it work all the time in street fights because they usually aren't very well trained. They have no answer. Even a sloppy one will work. Proper execution only becomes more relevant when your opponent has an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Step View Post
    Your form looks like a karate guy doing kung fu, which is what I expect of anything coming from a SD school.

BYTT is a widely practiced form in many styles of mantis. But what you perceive as awesome and powerful, better than 7 star guys, is the karate-like adherance to "powerful" movements that are in fact choppy, disconnected, and contrary to the actual teaching of that form.

On the plus side, it is good to see that SD was teaching a legit mantis form. On the other hand, this is also widely available enough to have been pulled from a video or a book, I wouldn't give SD much credit unless you could show me a mantis sifu in your lineage. Which you can't.
    According to stories, this was the Mantis sifu at the Chung Yen school:
    Je Jou (Shiao) Fu

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The Shanxi SC had published a book, "42 different way to execute single leg". I still haven't be able to locate that book yet. You can write a book about "single leg" if you include how to force your opponent's leg to come into your hand.
    42 huh. That seems like a lot. I guess if you cover ever angle and foot position, hip position etc... the numbers would be quite high.