View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1082 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 825829821032107210801081108210831084109211321182 ... LastLast
Results 16,216 to 16,230 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Blog Entries
    KUNG FU KATA(s)
    lolololololololololololol kung fu kata..........fakkin idiot
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I am honored and i would like to offer you 3 bucket of KFC all kinds extra crispy, spicy and southern style. I also give you extra large tub of mayo, sifu.
    NO

the chicken must be original recipe, like original song shan shaolin kung fu.

you must not bring the southern chicken. it represents dirty southern cantonese kung fu. burn it.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    wow interesting legend right up there with a Hairy Shaolin Kung fu man. anything is possible I guess. as far as Mantis is concerned The tang lang chien : just a aerobic filler form probably made up or a consolidation of many forms, other than the invert kick and hook stance not much mantis there. The Bong Bu is similar to other Bong Bu I have seen as well as Penetrating Hammer and the training is very detailed and excellent. where it all came from ?????I think it is good stuff . KC
    So you would use the mantis claw hand to poke? My understanding is that it's a grab. I don't practice Mantis(I know a lil spm but thats somethings else) but I know those are NOT finger jabs. Using that way is just silly. You think it's a good form? Even though you know it's just a bunch of random movements with no story?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    So you would use the mantis claw hand to poke? My understanding is that it's a grab. I don't practice Mantis(I know a lil spm but thats somethings else) but I know those are NOT finger jabs. Using that way is just silly. You think it's a good form? Even though you know it's just a bunch of random movements with no story?
    Even when the fingertips are used to attack, it's not like in their videos.

Yep, random non mantis movements with no martial context.

Tang Lang Chien...

Chien is dog in French. Might be a clue...

Blog Entries

Tang Lang chien

I learned this back in '85. The thing I don't like about the video is the kid seems to be swinging his hands around. His movements are not clear and defined. My understanding of the hook finger is it simulates holding a hook like spike in your hands.
    As far as mantis forms, master Hiang teaches 4. None of them are from the popular styles of northern mantis as far as I can tell. But I've heard him say that most of the forms were from family styles.

Syn 7

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Maybe you should read my post again , I said what the form is I then commented on what the other mantis training and forms are. And yes the fingers can be used as a poke , I reference the mantis thread at this time. There are many hand attacks in mantis. The Mantis Claw as it is known is a seizing tech it was what I was taught originally . But The finger can be used to penetrate soft areas eyes etc. if need be. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    My understanding of the hook finger is it simulates holding a hook like spike in your hands..
    That is how it was demonstrated in their videos. It was clear that the focus was on the use of the first fingertip. The other 3 fingers were static/dead.

That is opposite to the way Mantis uses the fingers, whether for fingertip attack or grabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    But The finger can be used to penetrate soft areas eyes etc. if need be. KC
    Mantis claw is used for raking/brushing, not poking.

And whether grabbing or eye attack, it is the last 3 fingers doing the work, not the first finger. Grab and eye attack are the same.

The videos showed last 3 fingers held rigidly. They were not doing anything useful.

This is a video of a friend of mine doing Tang Lang Chien back when we were both in Shaolin Do (I think he trains with Shi Xingwei's group now, but not sure on that). I think he was just messing around and freestyled half of it anyway, but still better than the other guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3G9V...54DCCC5BDA3918

Anyway, I'm not here to bash SD, but that other video really sucked. Sorry to the other guy but sometimes I wish that the instructors had been much more strict about stuff like that.
    Last edited by Tao Of The Fist; 11-02-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Tao Of The Fist View Post
    This is a video of a friend of mine doing Tang Lang Chien back when we were both in Shaolin Do (I think he trains with Shi Xingwei's group now, but not sure on that). I think he was just messing around and freestyled half of it anyway, but still better than the other guy:
    Ok, this one is less horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post

And whether grabbing or eye attack, it is the last 3 fingers doing the work, not the first finger. Grab and eye attack are the same.

The videos showed last 3 fingers held rigidly. They were not doing anything useful.
    Another common beginner mistake/misconception is focusing on thumb and first two fingers for mantis claw.

I have to yell at the students, "THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE PICKING TEA LEAVES!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post

Just curious, what type of finger/grip/wrist/forearm conditioning/training do you practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Just curious, what type of finger/grip/wrist/forearm conditioning/training do you practice?
    Not a whole lot currently.

We have one of those 80lb Everlast heavy bags that people complain about because the sand sinks and makes the bottom 1/3 of the bag too hard.

We do forearm strikes on the hard part after we're done with all the punching, kicking, and palm strikes. We use the bottom section for shins and palm conditioning too. Also hip, torso, and shoulder for short range "iron body" type stuff.

We do a partner exercise for mantis claw grabbing. We also have a combined forearm, shin, calf conditioning and mantis grabbing partner exercise.

We also get our grip and grabbing training when we drill our applications/combos.

Currently have a newer student thats learning a downward chopping forearm strike/block. Been giving him fast punches to counter. So his practice also conditions my forearms. I make him go until his arms are too tired and painful to continue.

I used to do a lot of finger push ups. Fingers curved like holding a large ball, not flexed backwards. 50 with all fingers, then repeat with one less finger, and repeat until all the way down to thumb and one finger. Been many years since doing that.

Also used to do mantis claw / wrist pushups.

Another "used to" is throwing/catching sand/shot bags.

Nowadays I rely on more subtle methods than conditioning. I laugh at the students and tell them they need the conditioning so that they can survive long enough to let their kung fu improve, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Here's some examples.

I developed an expanded series of those along with other body striking and classic Mantis close range forearm striking to drill on the heavy bag.

The goal is to be able to rebound the bag several feet with explosive short range body power while the bag is coming at you.

There's conditioning, but the main emphasis is to develop the proper full body connection.
    Last edited by -N-; 11-02-2012 at 10:50 PM.