View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1085 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 855859851035107510831084108510861087109511351185 ... LastLast
Results 16,261 to 16,275 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    A .gif or "gif" is basically a number of pictures strung together to make a video-like image. The file size is generally smaller so it's more popular than embedding video files.
    This gif.

That is not the teacher?

My apologies. I don't normally follow this thread.

I only joined because I saw some talk about Mantis, so posted to give some legit info.

Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    I don't know that it can be equated with bad or worthless, ONLY because it was made up or hybrid. HSK is proud of the form he made up and I'm sure it has benefits for him and others. I know others who have done the same thing, to have a set that contains the best of what they like to do. Doesn't mean it is "bad" or not worth praciticing.

I've understood the hand postures to be combinations of strikes, particularlly to pressure points, and also grabs where applicable.

Don't get into a discussion of the virtues of pressure point fighting. I'm not convinced of that myself.

I wrote
    You think it's a good form? Even though you know it's just a bunch of random movements with no story?
    I'm not saying it's bad because it is made up. All forms are made up. A form made yesterday can be just as good as anything made 200 years ago. My comment was focused on the fact that there is no flow and no story. When I say it is random and has no "story", I am not talking about lineage. A good form can be performed with a partner(or more) that is doing more than straight punches and front kicks from a bow stance. A form is more than a bunch of techniques strung together for performance purposes. Some techniques flow into other techniques realistically, others do not. Understanding this is very important when creating a form with a good "story". Ya know what I'm sayin?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post

I am not angry or anything you believe I am.

I happen to belong to a few reputable organizations and have legitimate connections.

you are full of sh!t and so are many of your nut riders.
    you contradict yourself

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post

All forms are made up.
    traditional forms are learned by blood. it comes from experience of countless masters killing people on the battlefield. its not the same as college dropout improvised flailing flpppy foot dance routine to make money
    Last edited by bawang; 11-03-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    That's what I meant: that is how it has been presented and trained, to me -- in SD. But I've said it before, one can teach the same form and technique, rightly or wrongly, and one student walk away with one impression and result from it, and another student in the same class something else. And somewhere along the line you might end up with what is seen in that video. Don't blame everyone who does that form, by how this person does it.

What I was struck by was his eyes, and where they were focusing.
    I have kept my criticisms to performances by Sin The and the students he has given master rankings. I'm not gonna sh1t on some kid cause he sucks, but no problem sh1tting all over a so called master who sucks.

If I can't judge the whole style, or any part thereof, on the GM, then who can I judge the style on?

That is why I asked for examples of students who have excelled in sport combat but have only studied SD. If you have a guy who did some SD, and some muay thai, some bjj, a lil judo, some HS wrestling, sambo and a smattering of arnis, then you can't really say he is using SD in the ring, circle or cage.

Hybrids are great. Don't get me wrong. But for the purposes of judging SD on it's own, you need examples of SD and SD only. With an extensive background I'm sure I could make "temple kung fu" work for me. That doesn't tell me that "temple kung fu" is any good, it just means I already know how to fight and took a lil from the system and adapted it to my own style.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    traditional forms are learned by blood. it comes from experience of countless masters killing people on the battlefield. its not the same as college dropout improvised flailing flpppy foot dance routine to make money
    lol. Was Sin The a dropout? Why learn anything when you can just make sh1t up and sell the image to stupid whiteboys, ay!

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    This gif.

That is not the teacher?

My apologies. I don't normally follow this thread.

I only joined because I saw some talk about Mantis, so posted to give some legit info.
    No, you were right. That is Sin The and the pokes are ridiculous.

lol. Was Sin The a dropout? Why learn anything when you can just make sh1t up and sell the image to stupid whiteboys, ay!
    yes, sin the is a college dropout.
    No, you were right. That is Sin The and the pokes are ridiculous.
    notice how he dyes his hair brown to make his small town midwest students feel "comfortable".

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    yes, sin the is a college dropout.

notice how he dyes his hair brown to make his small town midwest students feel "comfortable".
    From the website:
    Grandmaster Sin Thé continued his education at the University of Kentucky and had nearly completed his Master's Degree in Nuclear Engineering when Ie Chang Ming died in 1976 at the age of 96.

The other website states he earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    you make a lot of assumptions and blanket statements without having any fact whats so ever.
    That's rich coming from you. I'm not going to waste my time digging out the quotes. But either you know you have made a ton of assumptions or you just don't have the perspective to see the truth. Go through and read your posts, tons of assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    From the website:
    Grandmaster Sin Thé continued his education at the University of Kentucky and had nearly completed his Master's Degree in Nuclear Engineering when Ie Chang Ming died in 1976 at the age of 96.

The other website states he earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.
    Yeah, his words or the words of those he told. Show me the scripts and I'll believe that. You know how many people fake credentials? He knows nobody will go back and verify that kind of thing. I'm just sayin, if he lied about so many things so many times I have no reason to believe any of that. I wanna see scripts. Why would anyone come close to a masters and then just quit? All the money, all the time. Doesn't feel right. People who love physics don't stop because they can make more money teaching MA's. They may teach, but they would at least finish. And people who don't love physics don't take NE. Possible, but very improbable. Show me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    So which one is this?

Not for combat (speed is missing), not for performance (power is missing), it must be for "health".
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Yeah, his words or the words of those he told. Show me the scripts and I'll believe that. You know how many people fake credentials? He knows nobody will go back and verify that kind of thing. I'm just sayin, if he lied about so many things so many times I have no reason to believe any of that. I wanna see scripts. Why would anyone come close to a masters and then just quit? All the money, all the time. Doesn't feel right. People who love physics don't stop because they can make more money teaching MA's. They may teach, but they would at least finish. And people who don't love physics don't take NE. Possible, but very improbable. Show me!
    I doubt many here have the means or the interest to go dig up UK enrollment from the 1970s...especially since it's such a tangential aspect to the discussion.

Ok well I just did and it only took me 5 minutes. Not much of an investment.

First, he is not on any list of alumni. Fair enough, he dropped out before a masters was finished. But he hasn't graduated from ANY engineering programs at UK. I can give you the alum link if you want and go look for yourself.

Second, UK doesn't even have a NE program and as far as I can tell never did. Granted it was in the 70's, but I can't find anything that suggests they ever had a program. Even discontinued curriculum are listed on the site, but not NE.

5 minutes is all I'm willing to give, but I am reasonably satisfied with my search as it is something I do often and am pretty good at.

OK, back to my breadboard, my power supply is p1ssing me off.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Not for combat (speed is missing), not for performance (power is missing), it must be for "health".
    Better than sitting around eating Doritos, I guess.