View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1086 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 865869861036107610841085108610871088109611361186 ... LastLast
Results 16,276 to 16,290 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Better than sitting around eating Doritos, I guess.
    Or you can do jumping jacks and learn other callisthenics for free.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    when creating a form with a good "story". Ya know what I'm sayin?
    First question that you should ask yourself is, "Why do I need to create this form?" It's not easy to create a good form. That form has to

- look good,
    - fun to train.
    - comfortable to train,
    - have good reason to train.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-03-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Ok well I just did and it only took me 5 minutes. Not much of an investment.

First, he is not on any list of alumni. Fair enough, he dropped out before a masters was finished. But he hasn't graduated from ANY engineering programs at UK. I can give you the alum link if you want and go look for yourself.

Second, UK doesn't even have a NE program and as far as I can tell never did. Granted it was in the 70's, but I can't find anything that suggests they ever had a program. Even discontinued curriculum are listed on the site, but not NE.

5 minutes is all I'm willing to give, but I am reasonably satisfied with my search as it is something I do often and am pretty good at.

OK, back to my breadboard, my power supply is p1ssing me off.
    I went here: http://www.ukalumni.net/s/1052/semi-...&pgid=6&cid=41

His name shows up but without being a member/alum that's all it shows.

Blog Entries
    notice how he dyes his hair brown to make his small town midwest students feel "comfortable".
    Sin The is the GrandMaster of Mullets. mully mully mully
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Grandmaster Sin Thé continued his education at the University of Kentucky and had nearly completed his Master's Degree in Nuclear Engineering when Ie Chang Ming died in 1976 at the age of 96.
    almost but no cigar.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

You can also go to the UK college of engineering and search there. All I can prove is that he did attend UK at some point and enrolled in at least 1 class.

Still doesn't address the NE question. I haven't seen anything to suggest it ever existed. Granted I didn't give it much time, but I should have atleast found proof of existence.

Also, I can only confirm that he attended for one year. 1970. And that is UK, not the College of Engineering. Could have been anything. He could have enrolled in eng-lit and quit after a week.

I guess you could go to an alum forum and ask somebody to check for you. Just say so and so says he did this, can you confirm? no details.
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.

I can't find myself on the alumni section of either of my two places of graduation where I earned 2 bachelors degrees and a masters (all top notch schools [one is 63rd in national rankings]). You have to keep paying into the alumni association and updating your info to remain on the lists. I always hang up the phone before they start grubbing for dough, or I throw away the mail inserts.

I can only find myself on my masters website because of my Master's Thesis.

Not saying that one or the other side is true/false. Just saying that your criterion for truth and falsity is waaaaay short of the rod, buddy.

my understanding was that the NE program was at Oakridge, TN. I do not live in lexington but i have spoke with people in my area that went to UK at that time, people that have nothing to do with SD. Each person on different accounts had a story of sin the, over different years of attendance at UK. Of course thats just people stories of their years there.
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Here's why I think SD's Tang Lang Quan is "made-up," without even considering your teacher "Gif" (taken from a no-budget storytelling DVD that had no martial arts correlation except for the background stories/myths GM Sin was relating on the DVDs).

1) It contains entire sequences of movements from "Lohan Quan."

2) "Lohan Quan" should not be considered a mantis style form because it's a Lohan/Arhat form at base---not a mantis form.

3) People who later learned Tang Lang Quan likely saw the two likenesses between the two forms because Tang Lang Quan borrows from Lohan Quan's sequences, and therefore inferred that the former was a precursor to the latter. They had to learn Lohan Quan before they learned Tang Lang Quan, and so one form was seen as "higher" in skill prerequisites, and thus as more important. TLQ is difficult (72 kicks), and thus requires a killer cardio base. It also tends to look quite bad when performed by those who just learned it or those who don't have the legs for it. (in fact, what perplexes me is not the hand motions, but the lack thereof---which is also why I didn't understand the student video posted earlier, which had big arm motions I'd never seen).

4) More than likely, the logic changed the transmission of the form until Lohan Quan became a "mantis" form.

Just my inferrence. But you know how far inductive logic can go---not very far at all.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 11-04-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Even so. One can also note that forms like Jeet Kuen and Lian Wu Zhang contain sequences taken from the short forms---or vice versa (hard to say).

Short form #17, Short form #18, Short forms 1-6, etc.

This is also why the system works. It reinforces the basic sequences that it teaches, and its applications are rooted in 30 chinna, 10 ippons, 10 street-fighting techniques, and the sparring sequences. Even if these portions of hte forms are "made-up" to cover memory gaps, they tend to work.

Or, the basic "short forms" are key sections taken out of forms that all students later learn.

Everyone learns the core curriculum in the first year of study. Everything after that builds upon the core. If I had to guess, the core also changed the way forms were taught, or even influenced the development of the system to reflect the core.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 11-04-2012 at 07:12 AM.

posted by shaolin wookie on his youtube account

I agree. The timing on the punches themselves is what needs a lot of work in my opinion. And the form, too. I've gotten better at getting my body into the waist chops, and some of the momentum shifts, but timing is still tough to gauge. I'm still getting used to the idea of an internal rhythm in forms. I figure with some more practice, I can get this thing pretty solid for a dude without usual 7star foundations.
    tis is the mindset of Shaolin Do. wolves pulling the wool down on the eyes.

the next comment was posted by a CLFSEAN. sneaky people. i no like.

Not bad at all... your Nothern Shaolin time paid off in a lot of respects on this & your daggers. It's still needing more work on the broken timing & sequencing that 7 Star uses, but nicely done over all. Take the belt off and embroidery off the jacket & you'd be a passing Praying Mantis player at a intermediate level that's starting to get the idea. Seriously... that's not any kind of slam.
    Last edited by Snipsky; 11-04-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Today nobody took enemy air seriously, so a lot of soldiers "died". While these prissy pretty princesses poke at the air gingerly, with a smile on their face, as if they are in in the joke, real warriors are tired and exhausted in the desert of Ft Irwin, hunting each other both day and night over rugged terrain.

Enjoy the Burger King mantis. I'm heading back out to train people to be effective and frightening killers.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Today nobody took enemy air seriously, so a lot of soldiers "died". While these prissy pretty princesses poke at the air gingerly, with a smile on their face, as if they are in in the joke, real warriors are tired and exhausted in the desert of Ft Irwin, hunting each other both day and night over rugged terrain.

Enjoy the Burger King mantis. I'm heading back out to train people to be effective and frightening killers.
    If you're training real soldiers, you should probably be showing them how to fire a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    If you're training real soldiers, you should probably be showing them how to fire a gun.
    Guns? We're using tanks, artillery, and airstrikes, bro.

Firing their M4s should have happened months ago during individual level training.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"