View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1123 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 12362310231073111311211122112311241125113311731223 ... LastLast
Results 16,831 to 16,845 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    How do you guys stay in the art and bad mouth your Sigung like this? If one of my students said they would rather train with me than my sifu I wouldn't have a problem with that but if they said they would rather train with me because my sifu(their sigung) sucks then I would be ****ed and tell them GTFO.

It seems to me most of the SD loyalty isnt toward Sin The or the system as much as it is towards the time each of you have spent in the system. Finding ways to legitimize the time you have spent there.

btw, I know this is the case as I originally came from a "kungrate" school and it took me a long time to let it go. even after a few years of training in choy lay fut it was hard to face the truth about my previous school.
    Simple--I'm no longer training in the art. I have respect for many people that I have trained with, but I lost a lot of respect for Sin The after the deposition where he plainly lied. Before, I respected him because those I respected did. I no longer have that pretense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Ok maybe they don't belong to an actual shaolin do school anymore but many of these "ex shaolin do" guys still practice the system. My point is if you cant respect Sin The's own skill set how can you then practice that skill set yourself.

Anyone who is part of a "true" CMA school would see the problem here

Once again I beleive the motivation to find something "legit" about shaolin do is to justify their own time spent learning it and not so much that they believe in the system
    Yeah I still practice some of my SD material. I think you're right that I do want to find something legit about the system. I go back to what was taught in Indonesia. I think Sin the was a very good martial artist at one time, but became complacent. That and allowing these stories to be repeated as true and then lying under oath were the final nails in the coffin.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Simple--I'm no longer training in the art.
    Yeah I still practice some of my SD material.
    Confused which one is it?
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

He means he doesn't get any lessons from a Shaolin-Do teacher. However, he is probably practicing the CMC Tai Chi form, the JRQ Pa Kua form and others he learned while in SD.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ797 View Post
    He means he doesn't get any lessons from a Shaolin-Do teacher. However, he is probably practicing the CMC Tai Chi form, the JRQ Pa Kua form and others he learned while in SD.
    Yes. I do practice some of the internal that I've learned. I've supplemented what I learned with reliable sources to make sure I'm using proper methods and to correct many of the SD quirks. I'd love to find a Hsing-Ie teacher locally (and to have the time to devote to training), but what I do is all I really have the time to do anymore.

Respect

I respect GM The as a M/A but the lies bring question to motive and character. To be blind to ones short comings and faults is like a Divorce You can disown the wife or husband but the child will always be yours. The art or Child is made yours through time and effort " Kung Fu" . I no longer train in SD but still train in the forms etc. I respect the CMA and what I do .
    Some of the greatest teachers I have had in life had less skill but could transfer knowledge well. Or they were great teachers and could get me to be a better M/A or musician or what ever. Too many place emphasis on skill of the teacher not the ability to teach. I have been better than a few of my teachers but did not respect them less. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Blog Entries
    I respect GM The as a M/A but the lies bring question to motive and character. To be blind to ones short comings and faults is like a Divorce You can disown the wife or husband but the child will always be yours.
    I respect this. Sin may have had some real skills at one time. who knows. but still, HIS legacy isn't looking so good based on his lies and deceit. Like you said, after walking away, there is still the material that he taught to you. regardless if it was borrowed or stolen, it was till modified to have SIN's flavor. At the same time, if he did create forms that is not such a bad thing. what is bad is that he lied about its origins.

creating forms is something all martial artists want to do at some point of their lives. to see if they could. To prove something to themselves. i have done it and am still doing it. but i know to call the forms i create "MODERN" CLF because all i know is CLF. the problem starts when "TRADITIONAL" gets mislabled over something modern.

I've always told my sifu i would collect every set he ever created as it was part of his essence, created by him based on his own experience. i treasure these forms because they are part of HIS legacy. So, i hope Shaolin Do schools just stop spreading the Shaolin History and say they are disciple's of Sin The and the art he created. everyone creates something somewhere in time. just don't lie about it.

Take whatever Sin The taught you (Aside from our S5AF) and turn it into something that can be very effective. take off the karate gi's and go T Shirt and gung fu pants and sash. apply same rank requirements just eliminate the GI.

although i let out my anger on seeing our form pillaged, i still do feel bad for most of you because no one deserves to be dooped that way. i'm human and actually do feel for you.

ps, no more dvd, vcd or book talk. Show us the skills so that we can either clown or be proud of your guys' hard work.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    take off the karate gi's and go T Shirt and gung fu pants and sash. apply same rank requirements just eliminate the GI.
    My teacher did this 10 years ago. Although some ripped him for it I appreciated it when I started training with him.

I understand the issue of the gi but could care less. I have seen schools of everykind use stuff that you wouldn't believe. I still wear the gi and most likely always will. I have tried the other and I just like the feel of the gi..? But I do understand.
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    I respect this. Sin may have had some real skills at one time. who knows. but still, HIS legacy isn't looking so good based on his lies and deceit. Like you said, after walking away, there is still the material that he taught to you. regardless if it was borrowed or stolen, it was till modified to have SIN's flavor. At the same time, if he did create forms that is not such a bad thing. what is bad is that he lied about its origins.

creating forms is something all martial artists want to do at some point of their lives. to see if they could. To prove something to themselves. i have done it and am still doing it. but i know to call the forms i create "MODERN" CLF because all i know is CLF. the problem starts when "TRADITIONAL" gets mislabled over something modern.

I've always told my sifu i would collect every set he ever created as it was part of his essence, created by him based on his own experience. i treasure these forms because they are part of HIS legacy. So, i hope Shaolin Do schools just stop spreading the Shaolin History and say they are disciple's of Sin The and the art he created. everyone creates something somewhere in time. just don't lie about it.

Take whatever Sin The taught you (Aside from our S5AF) and turn it into something that can be very effective. take off the karate gi's and go T Shirt and gung fu pants and sash. apply same rank requirements just eliminate the GI.

although i let out my anger on seeing our form pillaged, i still do feel bad for most of you because no one deserves to be dooped that way. i'm human and actually do feel for you.

ps, no more dvd, vcd or book talk. Show us the skills so that we can either clown or be proud of your guys' hard work.
    I've been quick to criticize you so I want to be equally quick to praise. This is a good post and a good sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Dude, people used to spout that nonsense constantly on here. JP used to set people straight about it. THEMEECER was even one of the guys who took some convincing, if I remember correctly.
    Y'all said my name! (Said in my best Bruce from Family Guy impersonation)

I'm not sure what I was convinced of. I am still loyal to both my teacher and GMT.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Quote Originally Posted by themeecer View Post
    Y'all said my name! (Said in my best Bruce from Family Guy impersonation)

I'm not sure what I was convinced of. I am still loyal to both my teacher and GMT.
    MK was referencing erections

...of statues of GMT at the Shaolin temple.

How do you guys stay in the art and bad mouth your Sigung like this? If one of my students said they would rather train with me than my sifu I wouldn't have a problem with that but if they said they would rather train with me because my sifu(their sigung) sucks then I would be ****ed and tell them GTFO.
    i would not have wanted to study tai chi chuan/internal with sin kwang the. my opinion based on my conversations with sin the and what i have witnessed of his performance and teaching of tai chi chuan, bagua and hsing i is he does not really practice them but knows some things about the forms / principals. from what i have witnessed he has not expressed a high level or understanding and defiantly not a mastery of the material.

on the other hand my teachers that i spent time with here in atlanta taught me a art that is not recognizable to what sin kwang the teaches and does.

i would gladly not have any association with anyone who tells me what i can and can not say or think. if my csc atl teachers have a problem with anything i have said i am sure they will tell me. if i have said anything that is mistaken or untrue i will gladly retract it.

It seems to me most of the SD loyalty isnt toward Sin The or the system as much as it is towards the time each of you have spent in the system. Finding ways to legitimize the time you have spent there.
    why should i have any loyalty to sin the or shoalin do?
    i left the system a few years back.
    there is nothing to legitimize. what i do is what i do...

btw, I know this is the case as I originally came from a "kungrate" school and it took me a long time to let it go. even after a few years of training in choy lay fut it was hard to face the truth about my previous school.
    not all students experience is the same.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Smile and it still continues....whew!!!

After all this time, I was curious to see if things were still rolling here and they are.
    Well you guys,what a thread!!!

I am no longer TWS and no longer do KF or any martial art anymore. I found out I was much better at being an LMT than I ever was at fighting. Still,though,my years at Sd and from my other teachers helped shape what I do today and has kept me relatively fit and burnout free. I still meditate and do a little qigong here and there.
    Keep on keepin on folks.

Walk in Balance
    Walk in Beauty,
    Much Love,
    J
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    MK was referencing erections
    Oh ... in the future don't say my name when referencing things like this.

themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)