View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1130 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 13063010301080112011281129113011311132114011801230 ... LastLast
Results 16,936 to 16,950 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    you have no formal understanding of argumentation. Your suspicions may be correct, but your arguments are the wrong ones. If you don't like that I shoot down your objections and often play devil's advocate, it is because you don't know how to think clearly.
    Apparently the extent of your formal understanding is name checking a bunch of heavyweight ideas without anything substantive whatsoever. This useless exercise in intellectual vanity is fun and all but come on, its all just masturbatory misdirection.

It's very simple, point to some content that demonstrates this supposed effective core of Shaolin Do. It's either legit or it isn't regardless of what Sin The did and didn't say or do.

Symbolic logic is like mathematical economics. Keynesians have tried to prove that expansion of the monetary base (I.e., inflation) makes us all richer. Drink the Koop-aid, chief. Symbols are a poor substitute for words, since they can only represent concepts on a tertiary level.
    Language is symbols, slim.

Math is as natural a language as English.

There are plenty of shortcomings and arguments against the Keynesian School, but at least it actually starts from the basis of measurement and isn't just a wishy washy fabrication of idealistic axioms with no grounding in the real world whatsoever.

But you're probably a universal empiricist. Knowledge is democratic, right? Consensus based? And who decides what is pure knowledge in a vote of the statistical variety? Well, a force of numbers. He said she said. Not exactly a good position to take when posing false dilemmas to solve he said she said debates.
    Subjective Idealism is such a cop out. "Truth doesn't exist so you can't prove anything."

Either all things are true or all things are false. If this statement is true, then all things are true. But if all things are false, then this statement must be false, right? Wait, but then the part about all things being false is actually true, and so the purely skeptical conclusion that all things are false cannot be true.

You'd get an "F" in one of my classes, Wenshu.
    Ohh the liars paradox. You got me.

I wouldn't be anywhere near your class; ESL ain't in my requirements. That's because I study shit that has real world usefulness like engineering, linguistics and biology and would not waste hundreds of thousands on an education just so I could spend all day trying to bed impressionable co ed undergrads with useless pontificating about subjective idealism and post modernism.

I can name drop big ideas too, watch:

Any effectively generated theory capable of expressing elementary arithmetic cannot be both consistent and complete. In particular, for any consistent, effectively generated formal theory that proves certain basic arithmetic truths, there is an arithmetical statement that is true, but not provable in the theory.

How are you synthetic judgements apriori possible?

The best conclusion you can reach is that GM the cannot resolve the true/false dichotomy. You'd have to trust him or distrust him universally. I'm not willing to jump to one extreme or the other. Some of his claims are true, some false. Which is which? You now need more evidence. We don't have it.
    It's not about trust, truth, theories of knowledge, quantum mechanics or Hegelian phenomenology. It's about the claim that there is some bad ass effective core to Shaolin Do. And you still can't even demonstrate something as simple as that. All you offer is more community college dorm room smoke out level equivocation about Aristotelian Epistemology and Kantian metaphysics

"Subjects predicate."
    I just gave you the theoretical model for mind that will help you slash through academic bull**** like a hot knife through butter.
    lolwut? youfuckingkidding me or what? you high?

Instead of actually just presenting some simple evidence of the claim that there is something legitimate at Shaolin Do's core, you offer tens of thousands of useless characters about epistemology and metaphysics when all you have to do is post some fucking content demonstrating this supposed effective core Shaolin Do.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin
    “and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin
    Ever read Delta of Venus? Holy fuck balls that's some messed up, twisted shit.

Once you accept these terms, and you have to (every operation of your mind requires a subject [namely, "you"] who engages in a course of action [namely, piecing together other subjects and predicates] directed at some kind of end/goal [namely, to "know" something subjectively useful or true])---again, once you accept these principles, then you also have to admit that all actions have beginning and end points, and so time is synthetic a priori-----a precondition for human intelligence, logical operations of the mind, and action itself.
    Not only are you outright plagiarizing Hegel, you somehow found a way to make the prose even more bloated, imprecise and tiresome. I didn't think that was possible.

What was wrong?

Next thing I knew, GM The' was pushing me back up against the wall, telling me that I was out of control.

I was a bit angry at the moment because GM The' was totally off-base there. I was the only one who was in control. I threw only two punches, landed them right on target amidst a flurry of windmilling limbs, and spared my partner real damage. I was kind, patient, and sparing.

It really put a damper on the evening when I was sent to the corner to watch the rest of the affair, sitting Indian style on the floor.

Anyways, it was the only time my wife has ever attended one of my MA events (outside of a demo this year). She ridicules me for this. She never saw me training MMA or BJJ, and so doesn't really know that I can actually kick some serious ass when it comes down to it.

Every time we're watching an action flick and some small skinny chick starts kicking some male ass, my wife looks at me and says: "So, do you think you could beat her up?"
    Did it have anything to do with whatever head/face contact rules were in effect? Or maybe an expectation of exercising more restraint against maybe a perceived lesser-skilled opponent? A perception of other ways of handling the scenario? I don't know, I wasn't there (that I know of), just asking. I know there was a time when excessive or even any face or head contact was not allowed in some settings. In a sparring class with GMS I had side of my face blackened pretty good, he asked if I was alright and when I said yes we just went on.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

This is all starting to look like an intellectual circle jerk.

This is all starting to look like an intellectual circle jerk.
    starting to?

You say this now?

Compared to what? The run of the mill circle jerk that was going on for a thousand pages?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Ever read Delta of Venus? Holy fuck balls that's some messed up, twisted shit.
    Yeah, I liked it. She was way before her time. I imagine good Christians thought she was the devils wife. Smart lady. Much respect.

It may be twisted, but it's more realistic than many would like to admit. You need to understand the context in which it was written. You wanna talk about fucked up people, "The Collector" fits that bill.

Yeah but now we have morphed into something that uses words big enough that KC needs to look them up.

You need to understand the context in which it was written. You wanna talk about fucked up people, "The Collector" fits that bill.
    Miller and her were obviously messing with him.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Miller and her were obviously messing with him.
    I dunno. He was like "don't worry about the skills, just gimme the nasty" so they did both. Nasty with maad skills. Too bad they weren't published till after she died. It would've been cool to get some more commentary about those days directly from her.

It was a paying gig. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the collector, I think she was just trying to stay paid.

Syn 7

I dont have to look up big words to see Bull ****. You all talk alot of CRAP. and Thats a small word. That describes alot. I try to teach my kids not to Cuss but sometimes it works better than all your pompous big words. You guys gloat in your own Mentality and are caught up in your own Mental Egos. So I just skipped most of your Bull **** and went to the center and Ripped your hearts out with my little words. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Kisses.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    You all talk alot of CRAP. and Thats a small word. That describes alot. I try to teach my kids not to Cuss but sometimes it works better than all your pompous big words. You guys gloat in your own Mentality and are caught up in your own Mental Egos. So I just skipped most of your Bull **** and went to the center and Ripped your hearts out with my little words. KC
    Says the backwater hillbilly who talks big all day but when it comes to time to put his money where his mouth is conveniently claims "technological difficulties".

I dunno. He was like "don't worry about the skills, just gimme the nasty" so they did both. Nasty with maad skills. Too bad they weren't published till after she died. It would've been cool to get some more commentary about those days directly from her.

It was a paying gig. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the collector, I think she was just trying to stay paid.
    Yeah, they were just trying to eat. I can't recall where I read it, but I think it was explicitly stated that they were fucking with him.

As for commentary;

Dear Collector,

We hate you.
    Doesn't get much clearer than that. Her diaries are absurdly extensive.

Since WEn shu " blessyou you did sneeze right" anyway since he cant read i didnt post I was with the 101st working with some of the guys on special tactical training etc. No time to feed your silly little Ego. So maybe next weekend I have 4 days off. BTW I will post one of GMThe maybe 2 but no more. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !