View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1156 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 15665610561106114611541155115611571158116612061256 ... LastLast
Results 17,326 to 17,340 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I guess that sounds about right. But I would say that 90% of all knife defenses taught by CMA are guilty of malpractice, as I once learned not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I guess that sounds about right. But I would say that 90% of all knife defenses taught by CMA are guilty of malpractice, as I once learned not too long ago.
    I agree with you. Actually, I think a vast amount of cma schools are guilty of this.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Well, fact is merely consensus. Truth is something else altogether.
    Absolutely...

But you are right. What I identify as red may appear as yellow in your mind despite the "fact" that we agree that what we are looking at is called red.
    I've always thought of this as well...on a sort of related note, musicians nearly universally attest to receiving impressions of color from the different keys, however it seems all musicians do not "see" the music as the same colors...so if tone and color are wired together in our brains shouldn't we all perceive the key of E as the same color...off topic but you made me think of it...

"PERIOD" was my opinion. The rest is based on observation. I can't prove it definitively, but I can do a better job at producing examples on my end than anyone can from the other end. That much you must concede.
    Conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I was in a class doing knife disarming recently, after practicing several drills with rubber knives the instructor said, "now spar freely, one with the knife, one without and go for the disarm, but if the blade so much as touches you anywhere, you got cut. If you get cut switch the knife to the other person.

Of course most people couldn't take the knife without getting "cut" somewhere, when the partner was non compliant. So the lesson was, "this is how it works in the real world." If you fight unarmed against a knife be prepared to be cut, better to run or find a longer weapon. I had a lot of respect for him taking peoples confidence away, after they were just feeling good about disarming there compliant partners in the preceding drill...we need reality in training.

What I identify as red may appear as yellow in your mind despite the "fact" that we agree that what we are looking at is called red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Sort of related note, musicians nearly universally attest to receiving impressions of color from the different keys, however it seems all musicians do not "see" the music as the same colors...so if tone and color are wired together in our brains shouldn't we all perceive the key of E as the same color...off topic but you made me think of it...
    Color and tone are merely our central nervous system's interpretation of wavelengths; both measurable independently of their respective modes of perception.

Synesthesia is completely dependent on the subjects nervous system so there is no reason that synesthetes would perceive the same connection between tone and color. Or people with Ordinal Linguistic Personification perceive that the same numbers have the same personalities.

You can argue that the perception of the color red is variable among subjects but both subjects are encountering the same wavelength.

Gimme Red! Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    You ladies just like to watch don't you.
    For this multiple car crash of thread, yea, count me among the rubberneckers.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Yeah baby yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Color and tone are merely our central nervous system's interpretation of wavelengths; both measurable independently of their respective modes of perception.

Synesthesia is completely dependent on the subjects nervous system so there is no reason that synesthetes would perceive the same connection between tone and color. Or people with Ordinal Linguistic Personification perceive that the same numbers have the same personalities.

You can argue that the perception of the color red is variable among subjects but both subjects are encountering the same wavelength.
    I hadn't heard of attributing personalities to numbers..interesting...I wonder how much of it is simply learned. Western music theory, with the exception of octaves, has no basis in nature. We are taught that notes outside of the 12 equal tempered notes in western music are "out of tune." But if I detune them all equally only someone with perfect pitch could tell the difference.

Middle Eastern music is full of unequal temperament and has many micro tones that don't exist in western music..but they don't perceive this as "wrong or out of tune"...maybe that's why some cultures don't perceive horrifically unmatched colors as so...they were taught that those shades harmonize...

Cars?

I hadn't heard of attributing personalities to numbers..interesting...I wonder how much of it is simply learned.
    I experienced it distinctively at a very early age (as early as I can remember) and it became less and less distinct as I matured, for whatever that is worth.

Middle Eastern music is full of unequal temperament and has many micro tones that don't exist in western music..but they don't perceive this as "wrong or out of tune"...maybe that's why some cultures don't perceive horrifically unmatched colors as so...they were taught that those shades harmonize...
    Kind of like mainland Chinese and racism.

Die grenzen meiner kultur sind die grenzen meiner welt.

I don't know who you think is still on the road at this point.

Cars?

Kind of like mainland Chinese and racism.

Die grenzen meiner kultur sind die grenzen meiner welt.
    Sad but true.

well played, wenshu!

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I don't know who you think is still on the road at this point.
    Good point.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Good point.

Nice... I may order one of those over a plain ol' Hoveround...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Nice... I may order one of those over a plain ol' Hoveround...
    I'd prefer the popemobile. At least it's bulletproof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Or the ****ation Alley Crawler. Will go through anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.