View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1186 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 18668610861136117611841185118611871188119612361286 ... LastLast
Results 17,776 to 17,790 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by themeecer View Post
    Ok, fellow SDers... I have a question. If you were only allowed to practice one of our forms for the rest of your life, which one would it be? Basically, I am asking what form of ours do you think is the most important? You would have selective amnesia and only be able to retain one form.

I am racking my brain to answer this myself.
    For me yang 64 is the most important form/style.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Ok, fellow SDers... I have a question. If you were only allowed to practice one of our forms for the rest of your life, which one would it be? Basically, I am asking what form of ours do you think is the most important? You would have selective amnesia and only be able to retain one form.

I am racking my brain to answer this myself.
    This is a hard question! I am not a "SD'er" anymore, or more accurately a former "CSC'er". Out of what I learned I still practice the short forms, lower belt and brown belt forms, black tigers, tai chi 24 and 37(64), Jiang bagua, xingyi elements and linkage, shaolin five animal form, mantis zhai yao (aka zhai shua) quan, and stone monkey (shi hou yi shou). If I could only remember one single thing out of those, I'd have to pick either 37 posture taijiquan or bagua. If I was allowed to remember things I learned from outside SD/CSC in addition to the one SD form, it would be Jiang's bagua, because I also know the 108(or 103, or 88)yang style taijiquan form. If the one SD form is the only martial art I get to practice ever again, it would be yang 37 taijiquan. Though I would practice it the correct way, not the way I was taught originally at CSC. I think the internal arts in general are the most valuable thing taught there, though they need to be heavily corrected. If I have to take the internal arts exactly as they are taught in SD without outside correction, I would skip them and take the black tigers instead. They have a great variety of techniques, ground skills, and have the potential for unique expression. There may be as much Java in those forms as Shaolin, and I think that's cool.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

You know .. the 30 short forms keep popping up in my mind as well. Talk about a cardiovascular workout (when done correctly) and some solid techniques.

These may be GMT's crowning achievement. We have been told since day one that he assembled these forms (court case be darned).
    Short forms are excellent. Excellent cardio with all the fundamental technique that anyone would ever need. The case can be made that it doesn't teach transitional movement, but I don't think the are looking very hard. Whether these forms are a distilled version of the 108 lohan or they sprang out of Sin The's mind and imagination, it is good material and material I plan on teaching my own children to introduce them to the basics of the art.

But I'm going to call you out too. I agree from hat we were told the short form was assembled by Sin The, but it was out of the 108 lo han. The deposition said that he knew of a legend of the 108 Lo Han but that no one knew that material, or had even seen it, and he created this from scratch. These are two different things. Still nice materal though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

A lot of posting on a Friday night? Anyone have a life or a family?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    A lot of posting on a Friday night? Anyone have a life or a family?
    have a 13 hour night shift, and not a lot to do
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by RJ797 View Post
    You think his chain whip was "strong"?????? The demo at 20 minutes in on the 1993 SD demo was vastly superior.

You need to get out more. I have seen many, many, many more people that are way better than hsk's sifu.
    You understand the differences between a single nine section whip & double three section whips, correct?

You understand they are different creatures entirely, correct?

Hate to say it, but apparently not.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    You understand the differences between a single nine section whip & double three section whips, correct?

You understand they are different creatures entirely, correct?

Hate to say it, but apparently not.
    Yeah they are apples and oranges plus the age of Dino vs. the age of Barry in those videos makes a difference too. Trying to disparage Frank's teacher isn't going to get us anywhere. The guy is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    For all of you that sent me requests ....I will start sending those out this weekend. Thanks for all the responses. I can't wait to start talking about the material ....finally.
    Count me in as well

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    And who ever said anything about going to an SD class? Who do you think we are? Dumb thugs that wanna go pick on helpless kids? Come on now. Man up son. There will be no fighting. We can settle this with words. With ease.
    No you are just an idiot. It's martial arts, it comes down to what works, not all this cr@p you all are talking about. It time to put up or shut up, moron. Instead of talking sh!t here, why not prove what you are saying!?dumb@$$

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    i'm sorry, but i don't see HSK saying his teacher is better than anything or anyone.
    i know he is proud of his teacher and compared to his teacher SIN THE isn't even in the same ball park. i admit the whip from the young man was a nicer form than hsk's teacher. but compared to his teacher Sin The's double cane form is laughable at best.

hsk has chosen to leave you guys alone, are you seriously wanting to cause more trouble? didn't he go off too much already?

and, from my point of view, that whip form was INCREDIBLE compared to everything and i mean everything i've seen so far in SD. in most cases the black belts are very white beltish level. not intending to offend, but is true.
    wheres your videos @$$ wipe!? Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Challenge matches these days on this continent is for retards and insecure twitts. If somebody comes to my house for a fight, I'm not gonna throw hands, I'm gonna put my barrel in their mouth. Come on, get real people. Unless you're prepared to go hard tactical, you guys shouldn't challenge ANYONE you don't know. You wanna fight, get in the cage or join a crew.

My door is not always open, but you guys are free to try to kick it in.
    If you are on here talking cr@p to people and you belong to a school or run a school then you are asking for people to come in and kick your @$$. I am not talking about going to people houses where they live in their mothers basement playing martial artist on the internet. I am talking about going into your school and kicking the cra@p out of whomever needs it. Anyone!? I belong to a legit school and run one as well. Step up , step off , or get stepped on!

TTM, everything that Gene said about Frank applies to the way you are acting now.

There is a difference

Defending yourself when being attacked is justifiable,.... I get it. I haven't read all the post by gene or frank .
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 12-08-2012 at 09:26 AM.

There is a difference
    Defending yourself when being attacked is justifiable,.... I get it.
    i have to say YOU TT are the one who came into this thread acting all tough and hard. i will state here that is was YOU that went on the offensive first. the others just played along with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    i have to say YOU TT are the one who came into this thread acting all tough and hard. i will state here that is was YOU that went on the offensive first. the others just played along with you.
    Obviously you are blind and can not read. It's ok, I already know you are an idiot.