View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 121 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 21711111191201211221231311712216211121 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

KC, here is the link to the Tiger-Crane clip they were referring to:

Quote Originally Posted by cbishop
    Well, apparently, the link doesn't work anymore. Try here:

http://164.58.65.137/media/shaolindo!haha/
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 10-06-2005 at 06:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

ok, that was weird.... to say the least.

That guy's a novice though apparently, maybe he's just trying too hard to go fast?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    ok, that was weird.... to say the least.

That guy's a novice though apparently, maybe he's just trying too hard to go fast?
    He wasn't a novice to SD, but probably a novice to Tiger/Crane. That form is not normally taught until 3rd black level (at least 8-10 years in the system although it varies from school to school). Regardless, someone with that experience should know better. As I said earlier in the thread, I learned this form within the past year, and I was tught this section vastly different than the guy in the clip.

Oh, I don't know the guy, but I heard that he used to brag about having really fast hands so . . . . Yeah, he was trying to go too fast.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Tiger-Crane should be 2nd black material. Oh and Judge Pen, why is the Mullins-shaolin webpage all...incomplete? It looks like someone tried to transition it to some new software and then got bored in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by lxtruong
    Tiger-Crane should be 2nd black material. Oh and Judge Pen, why is the Mullins-shaolin webpage all...incomplete? It looks like someone tried to transition it to some new software and then got bored in the middle.
    Well, it got started and then the guy that was doing it for us had some personal issues come up and he hasn't been able to finish it.

As for TC and when it is taught, it does vary from school to school. Master Garry has some hand-written notes from GM The' regarding the required rank advancement for each rank and T/C is taught in third. That's what we go by, but it does vary.

What do you guys have to learn for 2nd? We learn 3 jians, 5 elements of Hsing-Ie, 12 Hsing Ie animals, Linkage, and Hua Tao 5 animal play (live, dead, and sien tien chi).

In third it's 4 Roads of Hua, 2 Hua two-man sets, Tiger-Crane, Double-broad, Double-hook, and 9 section whip chain.

Is Master Joe's curriculum different?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    Well, it got started and then the guy that was doing it for us had some personal issues come up and he hasn't been able to finish it.

As for TC and when it is taught, it does vary from school to school. Master Garry has some hand-written notes from GM The' regarding the required rank advancement for each rank and T/C is taught in third. That's what we go by, but it does vary.

What do you guys have to learn for 2nd? We learn 3 jians, 5 elements of Hsing-Ie, 12 Hsing Ie animals, Linkage, and Hua Tao 5 animal play (live, dead, and sien tien chi).

In third it's 4 Roads of Hua, 2 Hua two-man sets, Tiger-Crane, Double-broad, Double-hook, and 9 section whip chain.

Is Master Joe's curriculum different?
    Haha. It would probably do you guys good to at least put in enough information for prospective students. There's absolutely nothing there. I'm sure it's not good for recruiting students.

We follow what Master Leonard does: http://www.shaolin-do.com/pages/katas.shtml

Master Sin just changed up our internal curriculum, are you changing yours too?

Ayah! If I were in Shaolin Do I'd be doing Black Belt material. What about Jian training when do they start that? And do they teach Iron Thread at all? Those were the three things I was working on when I left Canada (plus another Qigong form and an elbow form)...
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Haha. It would probably do you guys good to at least put in enough information for prospective students. There's absolutely nothing there. I'm sure it's not good for recruiting students.

We follow what Master Leonard does: http://www.shaolin-do.com/pages/katas.shtml

Master Sin just changed up our internal curriculum, are you changing yours too?
    Well, you can cut the guy some slack, the water-heater in the apartment above him exploded and the ceiling fell in on his apartment.

As long as it's in Sin The's hand-written notes and he approves it, then I suppose it ok, right? And that list you linked to includes material that may or may not be taught out at that level. I know you guys don't test on 16 forms from 3rd to 4th. The question is what are the standard forms that you guys test on from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th?

Our internal curriculum changed recently also, but I'm not focusing on that at the moment and I couldn't tell you how.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 10-10-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    Ayah! If I were in Shaolin Do I'd be doing Black Belt material. What about Jian training when do they start that? And do they teach Iron Thread at all? Those were the three things I was working on when I left Canada (plus another Qigong form and an elbow form)...
    Jian training starts at 2nd black (unless you count the tai chi jian which many people learn early when studying internal).

We don't theach Hung Gar's Iron Thread form. We do teach a lot of qi gong and elbow techniques are in most every long form we teach.

The lower ranks teach smaller forms that build a foundation to the more advanced material later. At least that's supposed to be how it works, but it depends on the teacher and the student, I guess.

From what you are saying I'd be at a black belt level in SD. If I believed in Belts (I don't) that would be kind of nifty.

Still I don't really feel like "registering my hands as a deadly weapon".

Does anyone here still remember that myth about black belts? It was popular when I was growing up.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

I shouldn't be posting this because I have nothing posistive to add to this thread, but someone has to.

[B]How long will this thread go?[B] This is probably the first that I've had to skip to the 90 + page just to post. Geez..

JP, the hand written notes (poster form originally I think sent to Louisville then kinda made their way around) were done in the late 80's. He listed out the 10 forms that were available at the time for each rank. Then when more new stuff started being taught out, they were added here and there to the advancement list. To make it easier for everyone to get something they needed (not everyone got all that was taught and some couldn't come to Lexington to get it) he instituted the "required material and the optional material".

So, either one is correct. The written list is more structured while the option one allows some freedom in what people want to learn. But with either one, its still 64 and Clasical for 1st, Hsing I for 2nd, 4 roads 4th and the 8 (4 or 5) for 5th, 6th, rips a persons heart out and show it to them before they die.

Lxtruong, did you pick up the spear form last week?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Palm

How long will this thread go?

We are trying to get it up to 100 pages. Thanks for helping.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    JP, the hand written notes (poster form originally I think sent to Louisville then kinda made their way around) were done in the late 80's. He listed out the 10 forms that were available at the time for each rank. Then when more new stuff started being taught out, they were added here and there to the advancement list. To make it easier for everyone to get something they needed (not everyone got all that was taught and some couldn't come to Lexington to get it) he instituted the "required material and the optional material".

So, either one is correct. The written list is more structured while the option one allows some freedom in what people want to learn. But with either one, its still 64 and Clasical for 1st, Hsing I for 2nd, 4 roads 4th and the 8 (4 or 5) for 5th, 6th, rips a persons heart out and show it to them before they die.

Lxtruong, did you pick up the spear form last week?
    That's my understanding, but Master Garry sticks pretty close to the handwritten list. All my tests so far have followed them to the letter. I anticipate that my next test will too (which will be a bear with the 2 two man sets in there).

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    From what you are saying I'd be at a black belt level in SD. If I believed in Belts (I don't) that would be kind of nifty.

Still I don't really feel like "registering my hands as a deadly weapon".

Does anyone here still remember that myth about black belts? It was popular when I was growing up.
    No reason to believe in belts. I don't put stock in the stripes on my sash, but I do look better in black then in white.

Yeah, that myth always made me laugh. That's one myth that the internet actually helped debunk instead of propogate.