View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1216 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 21671611161166120612141215121612171218122612661316 ... LastLast
Results 18,226 to 18,240 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post

this isn't talking about martial arts when he said GONG FU.....he just means SKILL. not martial arts.
    I understand "Gong Fu" can be applied to anything...again, this isn't a direct reference to stage performance, but the author is writing about this skill as one of the 72 arts traditionally trained at the Shaolin Temple. He then draws a parallel between the studying of this Gong Fu and performing acrobats. I think it's indirectly applied that the study of this Shaolin martial skill is also used as a Gong Fu of acrobats, (whether or not they are/were martial artists.)

Your correct that nothing in this excerpt, (or the rest of the chapter which I didn't quote,) directly indicates that martial artists studied this skill for performance purposes, only that this skill (Gong Fu) is trained by both martial artists and acrobats.

It's just my opinion that since martial artists and acrobats engaged in the same style of training, their is a good possibility that there were martial artists who were also acrobats/stage performers.

It was just a piece of information I thought pertained to the subject, for what it's worth...may not be worth anything...but any implication must be surmised indirectly, not as a direct statement from the author...you are correct on that.

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    below is some of the timeline i have posted before. i have not taken the time to make a document comparing histories but i have done the work myself and found hundreds of claims sin the has made that do not add up with what all other available evidence tells me.
    Oh yeah, I read all that before. I've read most of the SD history on here from the people who take the time. And part of my comment was in reference to this timeline. I just thought somebody maybe already had another more objective general MA timeline they could edit and stick beside it to really give that visual of just how messed up this timeline really is. Because if I can see some just by looking at this, there must be many more I do not know about.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    there was no other stories of traitor monks in china's history.
    Say what? No other traitor monks in China's history?

Blog Entries
    Say what? No other traitor monks in China's history?
    i could be wrong but non that i know of
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

below is some of the timeline i have posted before. i have not taken the time to make a document comparing histories but i have done the work myself and found hundreds of claims sin the has made that do not add up with what all other available evidence tells me.

i sound like a broken record and keep referring back to the internal stuff since this is what i have studied and have some knowledge of that is where i will keep my comments. it is my understanding that jiang rong qiao bagua simply was not taught at any shaolin temple in the late 1800's or early 1900's. it just does not make sense that so many other sources would lie about it and sin the would tell the truth. like the "64 rules" of pakua. sin the signed the translation he made of it as if he authored it. he did not. also the hand drawn pictures he hands out with the translations were hand drawings that jiang rong qiao's daughter made for him to use in his book.
    Of course, Jiang Rong Qiao Bagua wasn't taught anywhere before it was developed in the 1930s or 40's. 1920's at the absolute earliest. And it wouldn't have had its present form in the early days of Jiang's teaching career, it would have developed over time. Baguazhang Lian Xi Fa wasn't published until 1963. Jiang Rong Qiao was born in 1890 or 91, ten years younger than Ie Chang Ming. Cheng Man Ching was born in 1901, twenty years junior to Ie Chang Ming, and also developed his form in the 1940's in Hunan Province. He didn't move to Taiwan and establish his school until 1949. Does anyone think Ie Chang Ming was teaching Jiang Rong Qiao's bagua, or Cheng Man Ching's taijiquan, in Indonesia in the 1950's? It is ridiculous to think so, unless he was teaching things which he had only just learned himself from recent immigrants to Indonesia. Did he just happen to find these two teachers in his supposed travels around China, before they were famous (during the time of the Sino-Japanese war, no less), and learn the forms shortly after they were developed?
    That may be why Sin The never explicitly revealed that those forms are actually Cheng Man Ching's and Jiang Rong Qiao's...because if we knew who created them, a curious person who researched these popular forms would end up questioning how he learned them.
    After being lied to, it would require a very good and detailed explanation with names, dates and locations to straighten everything out and regain people's trust. Of course, Sin The and SD are not interested in gaining the trust of people outside the system, and people still in the system are not bothered enough by any of it to leave, so there's no motive to do it. Unless they start seeing student retention dropping significantly, and so few students coming in that they decide a rebranding may be in order.
    As many excuses as the early and senior students want to make for Sin The, he can't come out of this without blame. Even if his students are responsible for forgetting the truth he originally told them and spreading the false stories, he had a book published repeating all the same misinformation, and adding to it rather than correcting any inaccuracies. I conclude Sin The and his elder students are and have been in cohoots for a long time, purposefully misrepresenting themselves and what they teach. They were obviously fooled in the beginning, since no one had any way to verify or disprove Sin The's claims at the time, they didn't know any better. As time went on and they became invested in the business, at least some of them must have learned the truth and were brought in by Sin The, so they could help cover up the lies. I'm sure Leonard and the Soards have to be in this category, at the very least. There are probably a lot of people who purposefully ignore all such controversy and just tout the party line, because it would force their conscience into a choice they don't want to have to make, as well as disrupt their business. They would rather remain ignorant of history and facts, and just keep doing what they're doing.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Work

so who all is working today this wonderful Christmas Eve?. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Just us peons...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

+1

I am working because I love it! I have two personal training clients this morning and one martial arts lesson.

Work

One more here... Funny thing I am here answering phones and there is not a big boss one anywhere around??? But its kind of nice
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    As to the circus stuff...this is an excerpt from "Training Methods of 72 Arts of Shaolin" -1934. It doesn't expressly mention "circuses" but I think it could be implied, by "roaming acrobats." I suppose it's reasonable to believe that martial artists performed their kung fu/acrobatics in circuses or troupes; I'm sure not all were teachers or military men.

Here's the excerpt.

The exercise, "Piercing the Curtain" is the "soft" GONG FU, it trains the internal energy and belongs to the section "Skill of Light Body" (QING SHEN GONG). The purport of it lies in the ability to make horizontal leaps like a swallow's flight. We often see performances of roaming acrobats who show leaps through rings with daggers or burning torches on the ring perimeter. That is just a demonstration of that kind of GONG FU. The audience see: one leap and an acrobat already passed through the ring with daggers or burning torches on the edges. It seems to be simple and easy. Nobody thinks about the fact to achieve it, one has to pass through hard and difficult training, much more difficult than in many other kinds of GONG FU.

I see the argument on here several times about SD not having the look/flavor of CMA. Someone mentioned that it's because hadn't adopted a modern "Wushu" feel to it, so it doesn't have the "prettiness" of some Kung Fu styles.

I don't want to come off as style bashing, or disrespecting anyone's art, that's not my way or intention; and I don't know much about SD other than what I read here and have seen from several Youtube videos, but the fact that it doesn't look like CMA, in my opinion, has nothing to do with modern Wushu or lack of flowery movements, or anything of that nature.

Every video I have seen of SD, be it by a skilled or sloppy performer, has the look/flavor of some sort of Kempo/Karate practitioner attempting a Chinese form. That in itself isn't a bad thing, there's nothing wrong with Kempo or Karate, but it never has the look of CMAs, because CMAs simply move differently than other systems. Some of the videos I have seen are very sloppy, some have good stances and technique; but none have the feel of CMAs.

I know exactly what it looks like when a Karate based martial artist attempts Chinese style forms. I started my MA training in Karate; and as a teenager, I attempted to create my own Kung Fu forms, based on my Karate experience and what I had seen from Kung Fu. I could do Chinese style moves all day and never have the feel/look of CMA.

I never figured out why until I began studying CMAs. It took a while for me to learn, at first, because I thought I could build off my Karate base. It was impossible. I had to completely empty my cup and separate the arts to learn Kung Fu properly. It wasn't a matter of better or worse, it's different fundamentals, different mechanics, mostly a completely different method of linking techniques between Chinese, Okinawan, Japanese, Indo-Chinese, or "what have you" styles.

Kempo/Karate does not link movements in the manner of CMAs. If your base is Karate you cannot learn to link in a Chinese style until you start from scratch with a CMAs foundation. It has nothing to do with modern Wushu or pretty techniques.

Northern styles look/move different than Southern styles, yes. Southern styles are more closely related to Karate than Northern styles; also true. But Southern systems still have a Chinese look/feel brought on not only by their techs, but the way they link the movements/energies.

Wing Chun doesn't look like Hung Gar, Doesn't look like SPM, doesn't look like CLF, doesn't look like Shaolin, doesn't look like Eagle Claw, doesn't look like NPM, ect....All these arts have their own flavor, but are all obviously Chinese arts, because they utilize linkage of moves/energies in a Chinese fashion, not in an Okinawan, Japanese or Indonesian fashion.

So in that regard, SKT is probably correct in calling himself a "Karate" club of sorts, though certainly not traditional Okinawan...

Not meaning to pass judgement or disrespect at all...just my 2 cents for what it's worth, but whenever I see a Chinese form attempted by someone who does not have a CMAs base, I immediately recognizance and understand why, because I tried it myself, as a teenager, before I began my TCMAs studies.
    These are very good observations--thank-you. What if you had a school where different teachers of these various CMA styles--and some indonesian "what-have-you" and even some Japanese influences came together? From what I've heard about Sin The's school in Indonesia I think that's what was happening in Bandung. And in the "cross-pollunation" much of the flavor of each individual style is lost. It became it's own unique breed. Not bad but not really CMA anymore. That's my thoughts after 20 years of SD and some cross training in single CMA and JMA styles. SD isn't karate, but it isnt' pure CMA. It isn't silat or any of the Korean arts. It is it's own animal. A great big Ven diagram. Not bad, but it's hard to pigeon-hole it as any existing style other than SD. This thead ought to be moved to the "Other related arts" section of this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries

Sin the vids

Any word on when some sin the vids are going to be posted?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Any word on when some sin the vids are going to be posted?
    Which ones. I linked to several recently.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Blog Entries
    Which ones. I linked to several recently.
    Someone said they had him doing San njie, and I think kc said he had some of some external forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    These are very good observations--thank-you. What if you had a school where different teachers of these various CMA styles--and some indonesian "what-have-you" and even some Japanese influences came together? From what I've heard about Sin The's school in Indonesia I think that's what was happening in Bandung. And in the "cross-pollunation" much of the flavor of each individual style is lost. It became it's own unique breed. Not bad but not really CMA anymore. That's my thoughts after 20 years of SD and some cross training in single CMA and JMA styles. SD isn't karate, but it isnt' pure CMA. It isn't silat or any of the Korean arts. It is it's own animal. A great big Ven diagram. Not bad, but it's hard to pigeon-hole it as any existing style other than SD. This thead ought to be moved to the "Other related arts" section of this forum.
    Just my thoughts as an outsider..don't hold any weight or mean anything...you would have a far better perspective being directly involved and apparently unemotionally attached to the what the facts may be. If someone trained for 20 years and really cared for some reason whether or not it was CMAs, it would cloud their judgement, if they were indifferent, they should have a good perspective.

If I had spent a decade or so training SD I'm pretty sure I would be doing the same thing you and some of the other guys are, trying to find the core material and whatever the Indonesian roots may be. It may be just as "exotic" being from Indonesia, as China, if that's what appeals to some...if it's the combat side that is appealing, the country of origin isn't important.

It's unfortunate for those who would like those simple answers, because I'm sure Sin could probably answer most of them easily, instead you guys got to do research and deal with a lot of negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Someone said they had him doing San njie, and I think kc said he had some of some external forms.
    Ahh yeah, I would like to see those too.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter