View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1224 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 22472411241174121412221223122412251226123412741324 ... LastLast
Results 18,346 to 18,360 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    forget sparring and push hands for a moment. what kind of REAL fighting did this JOE have? has anyone seen him in a REAL fight? if you haven't seen him fight FOR REAL, how do you know he can fight? everyone says they can fight till they get popped in the mouth.
    Yes...he was involved in a "king of the mountain" type of event where he had to go against all the teachers in this school where they taught multiple arts. Joe beat all the guys, the boxing coach beat all the same guys, joe beat the boxing coach.

Another SD Fighter...

Dave Perry ( R.I.P.) Was a 5th black under DS and SHS ,who constantly entered open full contact events in the Denver/ Boulder area ...One of his most noteable fights was against former UFC fighter Pat Smith... DP was disqualified for stepping on PS's head after he took him to the ground...Knocked him out!

forget sparring and push hands for a moment. what kind of REAL fighting did this JOE have? has anyone seen him in a REAL fight? if you haven't seen him fight FOR REAL, how do you know he can fight? everyone says they can fight till they get popped in the mouth.
    I don't know if Joe has ever been in a real serious street fight. If he has, it's unlikely any witnesses would be posting here.

Joe is a very intelligent, highly educated, level headed guy. My guess is he is way too smart to end up in a "street fight."

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    I watched a friendly match of masters once, joe & mullins had a nice match , joe won. There was alittle blood on both parts. But Frank won the day.
    I wouldn't consider that real as it was point sparring (even if there was blood). Joe has skill but I concur with the comments on having a "level head."

I've done lots of sparring, heavy contact with limited rules, but I haven't gotten into any "real altercation" since fending off a drunk wrestler in a college dorm hallway. That was over pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries
    i ask that because its one thing being top notch inside your school. but, if you've ever had enough streetfights you would know that a good street fighter could beat a black belt in many cases. all students feel their pretty good till they get into a street fight and realize all of their own limitations as well as skills need much more work.

where i live and mingle there is always the possibility of getting into a fight for whatever reasons. sometimes its for nothing at all but even i had realized by watching friends fight, if you don't know how to fight, martial arts isn't going to make you a better fighter. only fighting will do that. ring or the street.

luckily, i don't look like a TARGET for street thugs. they usually see me and move on to someone else.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

i ask that because its one thing being top notch inside your school. but, if you've ever had enough streetfights you would know that a good street fighter could beat a black belt in many cases. all students feel their pretty good till they get into a street fight and realize all of their own limitations as well as skills need much more work.

where i live and mingle there is always the possibility of getting into a fight for whatever reasons. sometimes its for nothing at all but even i had realized by watching friends fight, if you don't know how to fight, martial arts isn't going to make you a better fighter. only fighting will do that. ring or the street.

luckily, i don't look like a TARGET for street thugs. they usually see me and move on to someone else.
    So did you just ask your question to tell us all how much of an internet BA you are?

Blog Entries
    So did you just ask your question to tell us all how much of an internet BA you are?
    do you type and suck cok at the same time?

munch munch munch munch munch'er
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 01-03-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I've never pushed hands with Joe Schaffer or Bill Leonard, but I did push hands with Bruce once (man that's been almost 8 years ago now). Bruce was good: very, very good. He humbled me cause I thought I was good then too but I was outclassed. But at least the Bruce that I knew 8 years ago was not better than Master Garry or his son Master Mike in my opinion (at least at that time). I can't comment on his skill today, but I'd wager he has only gotten better.
    i always thought garry mullins was a excellent martial artist. nothing but good words about him and his sons. garry improved my kicks 10 fold and kevin the brother helped me with hsing i.

i have been practicing. i hope i have made progress in the last 8 years. that was a long time ago.:-) thanks for the nice words.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

most people will in america will never be in a fight. this is a good thing, it means they are civilized and are around other civilized people.

some people will be at the wrong place at the wrong time and may have a choice to fight or flight. hopefully they can make the choice of flight.

others will be attacked unsolicited and will have no choice but to fight or be injured or killed or robbed etc.

frank made a good point about not looking like a target. sometimes you may have to be in less desirable places. dont **** with people and normally they wont **** with you.

most people who practice any martial art and or carry a weapon have a false sense of security in their self defense skills.

put most martial artists against a bunch of roided out hammer skins. their martial art will not work. they will just get beat down and boots to the head.
    a good amount of martial arts/self defense skill is in the willingness to hurt another person not necessarily the skill to hurt another person.

ramble...
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Blog Entries
    frank made a good point about not looking like a target. sometimes you may have to be in less desirable places. dont **** with people and normally they wont **** with you.

most people who practice any martial art and or carry a weapon have a false sense of security in their self defense skills.
    what you said, most people will never grasp until their in it. i see you get it, me, this is a reality of where i live and since i could walk, its always eat or be eaten. imagine it like a watering hole, all animals are there to drink, not fight or kill or be eaten. but they still have that don't mess with me vibe going on. like, hey, im just here for some water and i'm out. peace.

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    most people will in america will never be in a fight. this is a good thing, it means they are civilized and are around other civilized people.

some people will be at the wrong place at the wrong time and may have a choice to fight or flight. hopefully they can make the choice of flight.

others will be attacked unsolicited and will have no choice but to fight or be injured or killed or robbed etc.

put most martial artists against a bunch of roided out hammer skins. their martial art will not work. they will just get beat down and boots to the head.
    a good amount of martial arts/self defense skill is in the willingness to hurt another person not necessarily the skill to hurt another person.

ramble...
    good observations. You're right about people's false sence of security (sort of the same concept that most drownings occur by people that think they are good swimmers). I completely agree with the willingness to hurt versus the skill to hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I've never pushed hands with Joe Schaffer or Bill Leonard, but I did push hands with Bruce once (man that's been almost 8 years ago now). Bruce was good: very, very good. He humbled me cause I thought I was good then too but I was outclassed. But at least the Bruce that I knew 8 years ago was not better than Master Garry or his son Master Mike in my opinion (at least at that time). I can't comment on his skill today, but I'd wager he has only gotten better.
    I haven't seen any of Bruces push hands. But his form seems relatively solid. I don't doubt he knows what he's doing.

He's one the only SD guys who actually makes sense to me. And he has sought much on his own, which makes all the difference. Especially when your base is SD. But I'm not internal expert, by any means. I'm more of a drive my knee through your chest then skull fuck you kind of guy

Meh, we all have our own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I haven't seen any of Bruces push hands. But his form seems relatively solid. I don't doubt he knows what he's doing.

He's one the only SD guys who actually makes sense to me. And he has sought much on his own, which makes all the difference. Especially when your base is SD. But I'm not internal expert, by any means. I'm more of a drive my knee through your chest then skull fuck you kind of guy

Meh, we all have our own way.
    I hear its easier to do that if you remove an eye first.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Yes...he was involved in a "king of the mountain" type of event where he had to go against all the teachers in this school where they taught multiple arts. Joe beat all the guys, the boxing coach beat all the same guys, joe beat the boxing coach.
    Bare knuckle fight till unconsciousness or some fag sparring contest with pads and no punching in the face? You cant say shit like that and expect it to mean anything without talking about the rule set. Tito Ortiz was a great fighter, but he still got punched out in front of a club for talking too much by an mma hack criminal. So, context does matter!!!

I'm not saying the guy can't fight. I dunno. But none of that means anything to me as it was presented.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Dave Perry ( R.I.P.) Was a 5th black under DS and SHS ,who constantly entered open full contact events in the Denver/ Boulder area ...One of his most noteable fights was against former UFC fighter Pat Smith... DP was disqualified for stepping on PS's head after he took him to the ground...Knocked him out!
    Going outside the rule set to get a KO is not a bragging point. All that tells me is that he wasn't in control of himself.

Again, he may be a good fighter, but your example means nothing. Who knows what would have happened if Pat Smith decided to cheat too. Context matters. You really need to absorb that.