View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1237 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2377371137118712271235123612371238123912471287 ... LastLast
Results 18,541 to 18,555 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

"The Meeting"

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    The way One Student wrote it, it sounds as though the BB was walking towards GMT in a threatening manner. I think your comment is trying to make it seem like something it's not.

I have never felt uncomfortable asking questions either at my school or Lexington.
    I am amazed how fast a story turned into a war. Sometimes it makes one want to just keep things to themselves. But let me try to clarify as much as possible, before it is exaggerated even more out of control. Some may remember it different or better, and I defer to that.

As I recall it: there was a time at the school in Lexington, in the early 80's particularly I think, there were members who were between two "masters": their SD colleagues, and another school across town. Some SD people were also known to be dissatisfied with SD, but stayed to cause trouble, or to take the classes they couldn't get somewhere else, or to report to someone else what was being taught, or even in the process of starting competing schools, but with SD material.

Yes, it was to a big extent an exaggerated problem, in some minds right out of a movie. But there was a time in martial arts that if you belonged to a school, you were loyal to that school and that Master, and if you didn't want to be loyal, you said so and left. You didn't hang around and be two-faced about who your loyalties were with.

So it was known there were persons who were hanging around for that purpose -- to cause trouble. It could have been handled by a private "talking to" (wink wink), even a forced and secret "ex-communication." Or worse. It wasn't. it was decided to talk it out in a meeting where everyone could speak their mind.

So there was a closed door meeting, among a couple hundred black belt "brothers and sisters." Anyone who had been given the rank of 1st black or up was welcome to attend, no exceptions. GMS started by bringing up to everyone he was aware there were dissenters, and he wanted to get whatever issues there were out in the open, rather than let the cancer burn a hole in the school. So he opened the floor for anyone to say anything.

One person, who was known to be badmouthing the school behind everyone's back, while still attending class, took that invitation. He was a 1st degree, and not long at that as I recall, but I could be wrong. As I recall it, he made comments, not asking questions about lineage or origins or anything, but to essentially insult the senior students and instructors and bad mouth the material. As I recall it, and I have a very good memory of it, GMS simply told him, and very calmly, smiling, and in almost the exact words, "You maybe aren't qualified to make that judgment." There were no harsh words from anyone, other than the Malcontent, although the room was very tense. No one told him to shut up or challenged him. In fact, as i recall it we wanted to hear what he and anyone else had to say.

But the Malcontent then took it up a notch. Most of us know of the "legends" of challenge fighting in martial arts lore, that one can't go in another's school and "drop a challenge," or fight the head of a school, until they have defeated their top student. So after GMS told this guy that he wasn't qualified to judge the entire school or system, and maybe something to the effect that if he wasn't happy in the school he should leave and find another one, the Gentleman then put his arm out to push GMS out of the way, and actually put his hand on GMS's arm or maybe chest, and stating, "I'm not leaving I've got things I want to say," or something to that effect. It was then that the entire room stood up. Not because he "dared" to ask questions, but because he aggressively and physically put his hands on the head of the School. Don't tell me HSK or Syn7 or anyone else would have let anyone do that to their Sifu or Sensei and walk away.

But when the room stood in near unison to take up for their GM, the Gentleman yelled out, "Everyone of you can stand up, not a one of you can do anything anyway." Of course that made it worse, and there was more than one in the room who were then and there ready to take him up on that challenge. But as I recall it, 2 or 3 of the senior members, and I can't remember exactly who so I won't guess, got in front of him, and more importantly between him and everyone else, and told him if he thought that way he should just leave. He did, mouthing off as he did all the way out the door. He did not return and as I understood it joined and stayed with that other school across town.

One of the more senior students at the time, who's name I do remember but won't say, and who was an excellent practitioner in every way and without exception respected for his skill and character, but who you didn't mess with, at least not with bad intentions, after a few seconds of visibly steaming left the room emotionally upset -- angry as I recall. It was my distinct impression he was going out to give the Malcontent a piece of his mind, and maybe something else. I wasn't the only one who thought that -- 1 or 2 of the others, more senior still, went after him and brought him back.

So it wasn't a cult session where dissenters were humiliated and then ostracized, or where an innocent question was punished with violence or threat. It was a trouble maker given a chance to speak, in front of everyone, who became ugly. And instead of being then assaulted or worse, cooler heads calmed the situation and separated the catalysts and without violence. And the school was better off thereafter.

There is a lot of misunderstanding, even hate of GMS and SD. The questions about the origin of its materials, and the way GMS has presented or allowed it to be presented, are all there. The man and the system are flawed, and in some respects very flawed. Some have personally had bad experiences, and that makes me sad. But the rush to make everything out to be of evil motivation or retribution is not so justified. At least not to those with an open mind.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    In a physical confrontation, the sheer size difference would make it a very skewed fight. Being a skilled midget only gets you so far. That cinimatic "master" stuff doesn't fly when your opponent(s) aren't peons.

It would be interesting to see both reactions.

BTW, CA is a big place people. They may not be living next door to eachother.
    I didn't mean to imply a fist fight, but I'll bet Frank would give him a pretty good tirade about what he thinks about him. Of course I don't know him personally, so I wouldn't know how he would discuss it in person. At any rate there's the chance for some good reactions. :P

Yeah CA is a pretty big box. Are we talking LA or Shasta?...that's not exactly right up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by OldandUsed View Post
    Since SKT resides right there in CA,
    Where?. . . . .

Last I knew, it was in Chatsworth, CA.

Why would you give out SKT's city of residence on this forum where people have an obvious bias (understatement) against him?

Dude, nobody is gonna go see him. And it's not like he posted his address. It's not hard to find people who are not hiding. If I knew your real name, I could find your address in a few minutes. Infact, I don't even need your name, just your IP. And if I can do it, many others can too. I'm no bad ass hacker. I just know what I need to know for engineering electronic and electromechanical "things". So imagine what a real hacker could do. Throw in some clever social engineering and laymen don't really stand a chance. That's just the curse of using a method of data transfer you don't fully understand. Most folks don't even know what a semi conductor is.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Why would you give out SKT's city of residence on this forum where people have an obvious bias (understatement) against him?
    sin the's information is available online to anyone with google and a few moments to search.
    i just used a combination of 5 words in google search and his home address came up in several hits just on the first page. to respect his privacy i will not say anything other than it is available.

even though i have the previously stated issues with sin the' i wish him no harm or harassment. if anyone used his information to stalk or harass him in anyway i think that is a crime and just wrong.

i do propose that if a person has a problem with him such as franks problem they go to the source instead of verbally attacking people in an online forum who are not the source of the problem. many of us live in america and it is not ok to challenge people to fights or threaten them but it is ok to ask questions and to share your opinion. even if it is an opposing opinion.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

A singular verbal confrontation is cool. Anything more is bullshit.

Knocking someone around in the street for approaching you aggressively is one thing, but actually travelling to harm somebody is just retarded. Unless there is a major reason, that is. Like if you stalk and destroy a guy who killed your fam, OK. But over a form on the internet? Weaksauce. Nobody is gonna do that.

I doubt Frank could be bothered to travel to even talk to the guy, let alone actually harm him. Infact I dout HSK would even bother to skype with the guy unless the opportunity was dropped in his lap.

Blog Entries
    to be honest, the only thing that would satisfy me would be an apology. aside from that i want nothing to do with SD. i have my own club and lineage to be proud of. i just wanted to use the forum to let people know they stole our form. thats not a cool thing.

now, i'm done with the whole thing. i know tattooed monk can't provide anything of worth. its not that hard to say the name and author of the book. if he had anything he'd obviously brag about it.

still, i'm to the possibility of a rare find. but i won't put money on it.-
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    to be honest, the only thing that would satisfy me would be an apology. aside from that i want nothing to do with SD. i have my own club and lineage to be proud of. i just wanted to use the forum to let people know they stole our form. thats not a cool thing.

now, i'm done with the whole thing. i know tattooed monk can't provide anything of worth. its not that hard to say the name and author of the book. if he had anything he'd obviously brag about it.

still, i'm to the possibility of a rare find. but i won't put money on it.-
    Why should anyone give a flying **** about your satisfaction?

Blog Entries
    did your gay lover not tickle your pickle? is that why you're mad PIG? oink oink. mr dirty copper

did your gay lover not tickle your pickle? is that why you're mad PIG? oink oink. mr dirty copper
    I'd have to give a crap to be mad, Frank. I don't :: I'm not.

Blog Entries
    I'd have to give a crap to be mad, Frank. I don't :: I'm not.
    nah old dirty......you care more than you know. and it shows. LOLOL.

nah old dirty......you care more than you know. and it shows. LOLOL.

Nah. I cared a while back when I thought you were a rational person who could carry on an intelligent conversation. But, now that I know that you aren't, you're just entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Right!?....