View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1240 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2407401140119012301238123912401241124212501290 ... LastLast
Results 18,586 to 18,600 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I guess when the only thing someone has to be proud of is his "lineage" (i.e. only being able to be proud of knowing someone who knew someone who knew kung fu)... This is the most intelligent post one can expect.
    Last edited by Snipsky; 01-20-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    are you talking in your spooky SITH voice? are you part of the SITH COUNCIL? tell the truth, you have one of those cool toy light sabers don't you?
    now thats funny. i can see him or her in their black cape and painted face. talking in sith lingo. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I appreciate who i am everytime i come to this forum hahahaha

wow, i can't believe the number of people from SD who're using terms from fantasy movies and tv shows. relating kung fu to Kwai Chang and Star Wars tells me alot about ya'll.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 01-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawyer View Post
    I guess when the only thing someone has to be proud of is his "lineage" (i.e. only being able to be proud of knowing someone who knew someone who knew kung fu)... This is the most intelligent post one can expect.
    Better than being proud of a fake lineage. Or if you agree that SD is full of misinformation and flat out lies, you have to admit you were taken. Not something I imagine a lawyer would like to admit. You proud? Or did you get swindled?

Blog Entries
    Better than being proud of a fake lineage. Or if you agree that SD is full of misinformation and flat out lies, you have to admit you were taken. Not something I imagine a lawyer would like to admit. You proud? Or did you get swindled?
    SD stands 4 Swindlin' Dudes. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Darthlawyer's teacher is a good friend and a contemporary of mine. He split from SD as soon as he learned about the deposition and the lies and iis now refusing to teach any material that Sin The alleges that he fabricated and is seeking to better his own understanding of the material he has learned. The way I see it, he is doing it right and is making every effort to be honest with his students and not repeat the lies of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries
    Darthlawyer's teacher is a good friend and a contemporary of mine. He split from SD as soon as he learned about the deposition and the lies and iis now refusing to teach any material that Sin The alleges that he fabricated and is seeking to better his own understanding of the material he has learned. The way I see it, he is doing it right and is making every effort to be honest with his students and not repeat the lies of the past.
    are you part of his SITH COUNCIL too?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    are you part of his SITH COUNCIL too?
    Nope. I don't actively train in SD anymore. I keep up some material that I find particularly applicable to my strengths and I go to the shooting range. I was just shedding a little light on some false assumptions.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries
    Nope. I don't actively train in SD anymore. I keep up some material that I find particularly applicable to my strengths and I go to the shooting range. I was just shedding a little light on some false assumptions.
    i know what you were doing bro. i'm just teasing. may the force be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I've heard several years ago EML taught a class/seminar that involved firearms. Did anybody attend and what did they think of the class?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I've heard several years ago EML taught a class/seminar that involved firearms. Did anybody attend and what did they think of the class?
    I didn't, but I have cross-trained with some local martial artists that worked on concealed carry defense in protecting your gun and creating space to allow it to be drawn etc. Pretty basic stuff, but something you should think about if you are going to carry.

And which false assumption would that be? The teacher is a victim. He got straight up played. In my world that in itself is somewhat disgraceful. Basically, IMO, if you get hustled you got yours.

When I was a kid I went to a place like SD. It took me like 2 weeks to figure out it was bull****. And I was like 14. I just don't have any patience for people that allow themselves to be taken like that. The truly sad part is that so many didn't even learn the very obvious lesson in all that.
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-22-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    And which false assumption would that be? The teacher is a victim. He got straight up played. In my world that in itself is somewhat disgraceful. Basically, IMO, if you get hustled you got yours.

When I was a kid I went to a place like SD. It took me like 2 weeks to figure out it was bull****. And I was like 14. I just don't have any patience for people that allow themselves to be taken like that. The truly sad part is that so many didn't even learn the very obvious lesson in all that.
    You guys assumed that he was either proud of his fake lineage or that he didn't want to admit he had been taken. Both of those assumptions are false. This guy isn't a long-term student. He went with a good teacher that split from SD when he learned that he was lied to. His teacher was up front that things he learned was untruthful and he told his class that. This guy chose to still train (probably because of the integrity of his teacher). That is admirable: The easy thing would have been to stick his head in the sand, not risk students, and tow the party line. But this guy chose to be honest.

I'm glad that you didn't fall prey to a bad school, but your in Vancover, right? Lots of options up there. Where SD is popular there are not many good options to choose from. As I've said before, my first teacher was the best martial arts option I had easily. He didn't talk about lineage or history and I didn't care about it. We just trained hard. I've since learned that not all SD schools were that way, but my experience was different.

You guys assumed that he was either proud of his fake lineage or that he didn't want to admit he had been taken. Both of those assumptions are false. This guy isn't a long-term student. He went with a good teacher that split from SD when he learned that he was lied to. His teacher was up front that things he learned was untruthful and he told his class that. This guy chose to still train (probably because of the integrity of his teacher). That is admirable: The easy thing would have been to stick his head in the sand, not risk students, and tow the party line. But this guy chose to be honest.

I'm glad that you didn't fall prey to a bad school, but your in Vancover, right? Lots of options up there. Where SD is popular there are not many good options to choose from. As I've said before, my first teacher was the best martial arts option I had easily. He didn't talk about lineage or history and I didn't care about it. We just trained hard. I've since learned that not all SD schools were that way, but my experience was different.
    "...law school, the great American baby-sitter for directionless postgrads.”
    ― John Grisham, The Runaway Jury

mmmm. Let's play lawyer!

And for the record JP, I think you are an okay guy so I will try to make my comments more general, mmkay. But I will hjave to single out this teacher to make my point. I'm sure he's a nice guy, this isn't about being nice tho.

I will start with where I live and the school I went to. So yes, Vancouver does have a large Chinese community and one of the largest Chinatowns in N. America. From a tcma perspective, we are pretty lucky. But when I went to the crap school, I didn't know anything about TCMA's really and I had not scouted any other schools. It had kung fu in the title, I was naive, I enrolled. Two weeks later, I was a lot less naive. I didn't do any external research. All my choices were completely unrelated to the TCMA environment I was barely even aware of. Had I known I had more options, I may have chose differently. But I didn't. So your argument doesn't really fly. How is me being 14 and knowing very VERY little about CMA's all that different from somebody in Kentucky 40 years ago? I think I can effectively argue that the only major difference was in the quality of critical thinking on the part of the people involved. I understand that may be somewhat offensive, but I can't really sugarcoat that very much more than I just did.

Now you can argue I made one assumption. That is that this guy was a student at his teachers school before they broke off from SD. Aside from that, I made no assumptions. Let's talk about his teacher. He may be a great guy, and honest. And don't get me wrong here, that's cool and I'm glad he took a stand. Although I think it's silly to stop training something that works regardless of who made it up. Now personally I am not very impressed by any SD I see really. But let's assume that much of it is effective for the sake of this argument. Not teaching somethinhg that works simply because of the cloud around it is kind of silly. You don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. That's a very emotional response. Now let me be clear, I do not see evidence of effectiveness, but assuming it is, dropping it like that is just silly.

I never said he was proud of a fake lineage. What I said is he is either proud of a fake lineage OR he got played. Admission or not, it's one or the other. He either played ball or he was hoodwinked. Just because he took what he saw as the high road afterwards doesn't change the fact that he got played. And IMO that puts his intelligence and/or his ability to assess something critically into question. QUESTION, I'm not saying he's an idiot. I'm just saying he may be. Either way, he got hustled. He spent time and money to learn something he just threw away later. You can label that anyway you want. But hustled is the best word for it. Admitting this is irrelevant, it happened and it begs a few questions.

Now, like I said before, that's great that he took some sort of a stand, but it doesn't change what happened. And I have to seriously question ANYONE that could be hustled like that. So yeah, maybe I grew up in an environment where knowing these things kept your head above water, but I don't see why anyone with a somewhat objective thought can't figure this stuff out on their own. I'm not some gifted genius, but it wasn't luck either. It was a hard honest look after spotting so many red flags. Why did it take so long for the red flags in SD to become public? It's this sort of complicity that blows me away. Like you alluded to, many simply tow the line for the sake of taking the path of least resistance and avoiding the big scary boogeyman we call change. Kinda like your congress. Even if you go in with a clear mind and a righteous attitude, that stuff will drag you down if you don't challenge it. I would rather a one term honest guy than a ten term assimilated used to be good guy who justifies his garbage because they can't believe they are wrong or at fault because in their own minds they are good nice people. And socially, maybe they are. I feel the same way about journalism, and SD fits into that dynamic pretty well, IMO.

Blog Entries
    mmmm. Let's play lawyer!
    LMAOOOOOOO.......someone's hungry. GET EM LAWYER EATER......GET EM

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    LMAOOOOOOO.......someone's hungry. GET EM LAWYER EATER......GET EM
    It's not really about "winning" for me. I just enjoy the challenge of arguing with people who do it for a living. I don't expect to actually sway anyone who has already made up their mind.