View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1258 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2587581158120812481256125712581259126012681308 ... LastLast
Results 18,856 to 18,870 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I didn't see the videos before they got taken down. What was in them that confirmed to you it is kung tao vs. kung fu being taught in Indonesia? I don't really care one way or another, just want to understand what you saw in those videos that makes you say that.
    I think it's Mas Judt's commentary on how arts brought over to Indonesia take on a very Indonesian flair. I think he said it's probable that SD came from China and then got shoved in to a blender while it was in Indonesia and it transformed in to kun tao.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I've had some conversations with Mas Judt about this. It's my persepctive that Indonesian arts tend to be very pragmatic which don't make for the prettiest forms. The origins may be in large part CMA, but that flovor is largely lost in the process so even forms that are identifiably CMA don't really look like CMA that was filtered through China, Tai Wan, Hong Kong etc. Complicating that is the idea that some forms may have been learned through books, videos or notes.

The old timers tell me that forms work was a very small percentage of the SD that they first learned. Most of the focus was on the sparring and the conditioning. I've never seen Sin The spar, but I know people in SD that can fight with the best of the other TMA students and teachers that I've trained with, so I will not criticize the ability of someone to learn how to apply the art.

It seems that there was a forms explosion in the mid 1980s. It was at that time that more branches of SD were taking off in other parts of the country and it was right after the sports center went under. Hallady's book came out as well as the inside kung fu article (where the infamous list of material linked to various temples was listed). Where all of these forms came from is a matter of speculation, but the focus certainly shifted from fighting and conditioning to forms, forms, forms. I was lucky to have a teacher that stuck with the basic material and we sparred and conditioned most of the time, but I was always surprised when I visited other schools at how lower belts were working on forms that I had never seen or heard of.

As far as the material in Indonesian video, there was Buddha Fist, 8 directional Dao, 5 Directional Palm, and a few that I had not seen that still had a distinct SD flavor to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

JP, I have to agree with what you have posted. I first went to SD in 1970. At the time I was a high school wrestler that wascoming in for freshman year of college and wanted something to work on my conditioning while I was waiting on wrestling season to start up. Stayed with it until 2005. Have seen both GMT and HKT spar, and in the 70's, that was something to see. It has changed over the years, but we always called it karate, never kungfu.

thought

I would be interested to see a person from "traditional" style take one of the SD forms and perform it with what they believe to be proper flow and body mechanics.

Not from the stand point of "If you think you can do it better go for it" , so don't take it that way, but more of a way to have a proper comparison.

Any volunteers???
    Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced.

Shaolin Wookie, while he isn't traditionally trained, performs his forms like a TCMA guy would. I think in his signature is a link to his youtube account.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    Shaolin Wookie, while he isn't traditionally trained, performs his forms like a TCMA guy would. I think in his signature is a link to his youtube account.
    He does, but I think his teachers really try to emphasize a CMA flavor to their forms more so than the Kentucky SD elders or even Master Garry Mullins (one of my main teachers in SD). There are some videos of Master Garry doing a ground dragon form (which was one of the Indonesian forms performed in 1992). It's an odd form and I think a traditional form from the Indonesian schoool.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldandUsed View Post
    JP, I have to agree with what you have posted. I first went to SD in 1970. At the time I was a high school wrestler that wascoming in for freshman year of college and wanted something to work on my conditioning while I was waiting on wrestling season to start up. Stayed with it until 2005. Have seen both GMT and HKT spar, and in the 70's, that was something to see. It has changed over the years, but we always called it karate, never kungfu.
    I started in 1989. My teacher called it Karate, but said it was really kung fu as taught in Indonesia. Since then, I've worked with some JMA people and some CMA people and I really think SD is its own animal. The forms are closer to CMA in structure, but the flavor is different than both CMA and JMA (which is why I don't agree with the criticism that it's just Karate trying to be kung fu).

LOL, yes sir. I always had to put SD in its own little niche. Not this and not that, kind of a deal. Yes, I have managed to cross train in a handful of different arts over the years. (Always liked Gary).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldandUsed View Post
    Man, I'd love to hear more about the sparring of Sin and Hiang.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    The old timers tell me that forms work was a very small percentage of the SD that they first learned. Most of the focus was on the sparring and the conditioning. I've never seen Sin The spar, but I know people in SD that can fight with the best of the other TMA students and teachers that I've trained with, so I will not criticize the ability of someone to learn how to apply the art.

It seems that there was a forms explosion in the mid 1980s. It was at that time that more branches of SD were taking off in other parts of the country and it was right after the sports center went under. Hallady's book came out as well as the inside kung fu article (where the infamous list of material linked to various temples was listed). Where all of these forms came from is a matter of speculation, but the focus certainly shifted from fighting and conditioning to forms, forms, forms. I was lucky to have a teacher that stuck with the basic material and we sparred and conditioned most of the time, but I was always surprised when I visited other schools at how lower belts were working on forms that I had never seen or heard of.

As far as the material in Indonesian video, there was Buddha Fist, 8 directional Dao, 5 Directional Palm, and a few that I had not seen that still had a distinct SD flavor to it.
    Exactly! There were very few forms(compared to the present), and lots of conditioning and sparring.

@Bohdi. I remember the demonstration at the first Hazard tournamemnt when Sin and Hiang sparred each other. They were using weapons and closed to empty hand. There was a point where Sin caught Hiang in the eye and then they stopped the match. It was quite entertaining.

There were times when we would get to the dojo early and they would be working out behind locked doors. You could hear them going at it. Then, the door would open and they would come out soaking wet with sweat and act like nothing happened.

Of course, that was back before their falling out, in the 70's.

Blog Entries
    dojo
    see! karate! ABSOLUTELY ZERO authentic chinese martial arts schools NEVER call their schools DOJO...........lmao......fake ass kung fu
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    see! karate! ABSOLUTELY ZERO authentic chinese martial arts schools NEVER call their schools DOJO...........lmao......fake ass kung fu
    nice contribution

I never called it kung fu. Always called it karate. Go play in traffic, Dip****.

Blog Entries
    i found something interesting about Shaolin Do..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbNg43zdabE

Go play in traffic, Dip****
    do you feel gangsta now? did you do the hand gestures with that too? did you bob your head or swivel your neck when you typed that?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better