View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1264 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2647641164121412541262126312641265126612741314 ... LastLast
Results 18,946 to 18,960 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

True

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    I recently read through the first 900 pages.

At first it was for the lulz, because I remember when the SD hoopla started on this forum and I remember when this thread started. Then later it became interesting because some really knowledgeable forum members came on here trying to explain the details of real Kung Fu (partly to smack sense in to certain kool aid drinker(s) and partly just to discuss with basically the rest of the SD folks that were pretty level headed for the most part throughout the entirety of this thread).

I took a lot of notes on what certain educated forum members said; I thought it was really useful.

From what I remember, you've always been real level headed throughout the discussion. There were one or two times that I was surprised by a remark you made (you prob got tired of trolling or something), but........ I've seen some of my old comments on this board.... ones I totally forgot about.... I'm tempted to find them and delete them because they're so d@mned embarrassing (I was like 19 at the time or something )

It was funny to see how there would be phases in this thread, much like I explained in my script for Is Shaolin Do For Real? The Movie™. Of course, what happened on page 900 is what really makes the movie

Really, if one can stand to take the time, a lot can be learned from reading through this thread. I think the unofficial history of SD is also contained in here as well, lol. If anyone wants to understand what SD is, I just point them to this thread and say "read".
    Its a lot of really good information with a soap opera and bad reality TV all mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Its a lot of really good information with a soap opera and bad reality TV all mixed in.
    lol indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

...If anyone wants to understand what SD is, I just point them to this thread and say "read".
    I've read this thread from the beginning too, and that is a scary thought. This thread basically captures all the speculation but is hardly the SD history we all want to know. The only people who can shed light on that history, really, is Sin/Hsiang The and GMIe. And they aren't talking.

So in the mean time, I'm a big fan of teachers being honest about where they learned material from and what they know about it. There are plenty of great teachers remaining in the system and they shouldn't be discredited for honing skills that were taught to them. Are these skills real Shaolin? Probably not. Are these skills real gong fu? I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    This thread basically captures all the speculation but is hardly the SD history we all want to know. The only people who can shed light on that history, really, is Sin/Hsiang The and GMIe. And they aren't talking.
    True, but I think these speculations are probably accurate to a good %.

Are these skills real Shaolin? Probably not. Are these skills real gong fu? I think so.
    I'd disagree with you to a point, there.

It more than likely has Kung Fu roots, but I dunno if we can really call it Kung Fu today because of the great amount of influence IMA had on it while in Indonesia.

Pardon me for using a Karate analogy but...

Obviously there are great similarities between certain southern Chinese arts and Karate. But is (traditional) Karate hakka-inspired Kung Fu? No, it's its own animal because of specific influences.

I think if we could remove the stuff ST made up, remove the stuff that was from books, we could probably have an interesting discussion on what SD is (if it's anything other than SD, that is. But didn't Mas Judt say it was Kun Tao? Or did he just say it resembled it a lot?). Of course, this discussion would be interrupted, derailed, and trolled many, many times; that's how you know you got a good thread going around here

(addendum: I think considering the stuff from books and the stuff ST made up, the closest thing we will probably get for the art as far as classification goes is an Indonesian Kempo (for lack of a more appropriate Indonesian term))
    Last edited by Kymus; 06-21-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Blog Entries
    nah THIS is the best kung fu ever......its called KUNGARATE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    nah THIS is the best kung fu ever......its called KUNGARATE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4
    Jake Mace: The lost tapes

Blog Entries
    jake mace: The lost tapes
    lmao:d:d:d

Blog Entries
    I think if we could remove the stuff ST made up, remove the stuff that was from books, we could probably have an interesting discussion on what SD is (if it's anything other than SD, that is.
    that would leaven them wth only one or two forms to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    that would leaven them wth only one or two forms to speak of.
    Actually, by my count it would be 30 to 40 forms. Some of the stuff that Sin The claimed to make up was taught independantly in Indonesia (the videos that were removed confirmed that). So you look at all the SD material that is unique to SD and cross reference it with what Hiang The is teaching and that's a pretty good indicator of the unique SD material. Add some of the other material that we know came from Indonesia (Buddha Fist, Ground Dragon, 14th and 15th Crane) and that's a list of material that I feel fairly confident is unique to SD.

All the stuff that is taught elsewhere: taiji, bagua, xingyi, hua, the identifiable mantis forms, etc., then that could have been pilfered from other sources or some of that material could have been taught in Indonesia (will will never know which is which).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

From what I remember, you've always been real level headed throughout the discussion. There were one or two times that I was surprised by a remark you made (you prob got tired of trolling or something), but........ I've seen some of my old comments on this board.... ones I totally forgot about.... I'm tempted to find them and delete them because they're so d@mned embarrassing (I was like 19 at the time or something )

It was funny to see how there would be phases in this thread, much like I explained in my script for Is Shaolin Do For Real? The Movie™. Of course, what happened on page 900 is what really makes the movie

Really, if one can stand to take the time, a lot can be learned from reading through this thread. I think the unofficial history of SD is also contained in here as well, lol. If anyone wants to understand what SD is, I just point them to this thread and say "read".
    I know I've lost my temper from time to time. I may have let myself post angry, but only if I was drinking at the same time. Many a time I've waited until the next day to respond to something to make sure I had a cool head in my response.

I think if you edit out the trolls (sorry HSK most of your posts wouldn't make the cut), then it would be an interesting read to anyone interested in SD and it's real origins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post

I think if you edit out the trolls (sorry HSK most of your posts wouldn't make the cut), then it would be an interesting read to anyone interested in SD and it's real origins.
    shaolin do is a troll of the martial arts world. its a disgrace.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I know I've lost my temper from time to time. I may have let myself post angry, but only if I was drinking at the same time. Many a time I've waited until the next day to respond to something to make sure I had a cool head in my response.
    From what I recall, it came off as a koolaid response which has never been your style because you never gave a d@mn about the stories (that, and I think you said your teacher never really bothered with them much). Hard to explain, as I don't remember it clearly. It was only once or twice, and it may have been a backlash against serious trolling, not sure

lol

I also remember Bawangs gold contribution to the thread:

Yes, shaolin do is real
    I lied, shaolin do isn't real

Actually, by my count it would be 30 to 40 forms. Some of the stuff that Sin The claimed to make up was taught independantly in Indonesia (the videos that were removed confirmed that). So you look at all the SD material that is unique to SD and cross reference it with what Hiang The is teaching and that's a pretty good indicator of the unique SD material. Add some of the other material that we know came from Indonesia (Buddha Fist, Ground Dragon, 14th and 15th Crane) and that's a list of material that I feel fairly confident is unique to SD.

All the stuff that is taught elsewhere: taiji, bagua, xingyi, hua, the identifiable mantis forms, etc., then that could have been pilfered from other sources or some of that material could have been taught in Indonesia (will will never know which is which).
    Will the real Shaolin-Do please stand up
    please stand up, please stand up