View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1274 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2747741174122412641272127312741275127612841324 ... LastLast
Results 19,096 to 19,110 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    While Bawang's answer here isn't exactly diplomatic, it's true.

Shorinji comes from Shaolin, but it's not Kung Fu
    Okinawan Karate comes from Kung Fu, but it's not Kung Fu

SD is SD. It's some sort of b@stard child from Kun Tao and Kung Fu. Even though it (possibly, maybe, but who knows) has roots in Kung Fu or Shaolin, it is not Kung Fu or Shaolin.
    That's a nice summation of this thread. Bawang just likes beating dead horse meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Mas Judt was the one that brought up the Kun Tao correlation years ago. JP probably remembers more of the conversation.

That, and, we know that there are guys in Indonesia that say they learned from the same teacher as ST and from what I recall, their forms had the standard SD flavor to them.

Given all the evidence that's been collected over the past decade, I think it's highly probable that they learned something in Indonesia that was at one point Kung Fu - however many generations - and that then got radically changed while in Indonesia.

That seems to be the most probable answer to what SD comes from. Of course, it's origins past ST's teacher is a complete mystery. I'm curious as to whether SD is the only game in Indonesia that has the SD flavor, and what art or arts it originally came from.
    I think it's important to understand the Indonesian and Malaysian cultural idioms as well. I personally don't think they learned Kuntao and don't see it in the SD material. it really looks like modified kempo karate at best.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

JP, remember you said that the wushu guy from Fight Science did a variation of one of your forms?

Was this one of the legit SD forms? Any idea where that form came from (as far as the Wushu guy is concerned)?

Bawang just likes beating dead horse meat.
    Now I wouldn't say that.... Bawang is...... Shaolin-Man! He seeks truth, justice, and the Shaolin way!!

He whoops crackas with his mighty fists
    He p!sses on phoneys with his wombat urine
    and he is able to leap tall buildings in a single heliochopper!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Of course, he's still no match for me
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

invite to wat
    to play

im from village FOO
    yeah the village of mississauga, Ontario. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If I hadn't seen the videos from the students of the remains of Sin The's school doing the same forms and compared that to some kung tao videos that Judt directed our way, I might be inclined to agree with David. I will agree that SD is not kung tao silat, but not all Indonesian arts are silat based. I think this is a *******aziation of CMA through Indonesia. In looking at this issue for the last 10 years, I'v seen many kung tao schools practice bare foot and wear gis, but not identify themselves as karate. I really think sin The was capitalizing on the familiarity of karate in the early days, and then on kung fu once it started to become popular. He wanted it both ways instead of just being honest and calling it kung tao from the begining.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

JP, remember you said that the wushu guy from Fight Science did a variation of one of your forms?

Was this one of the legit SD forms? Any idea where that form came from (as far as the Wushu guy is concerned)?

Now I wouldn't say that.... Bawang is...... Shaolin-Man! He seeks truth, justice, and the Shaolin way!!

He whoops crackas with his mighty fists
    He p!sses on phoneys with his wombat urine
    and he is able to leap tall buildings in a single heliochopper!!!

Yeah it was Alex Huyn. He did a mix between Fei Fu (our yellow sash tiger form) and Lo Han Chien (a green sash form). I e-mailed him and asked him and he said that he was a student under one of John Winglock Ng's students and he learned those "traditional" forms from him.

Is this Bawang? I dont know him personally.

A Fool is Born every Day !

I think this is him.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Yeah it was Alex Huyn. He did a mix between Fei Fu (our yellow sash tiger form) and Lo Han Chien (a green sash form). I e-mailed him and asked him and he said that he was a student under one of John Winglock Ng's students and he learned those "traditional" forms from him.
    Did he mention the names of the forms? What art are the from?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    to play

yeah the village of mississauga, Ontario. lol
    r u talking about that crazy fat guy, cuz u didn't go either

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Did he mention the names of the forms? What art are the from?
    Fei Hu Ch’u Tong and Luo Han Chuan. He said his first teacher, part of Ng family system, taught it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Fei Hu Ch’u Tong and Luo Han Chuan. He said his first teacher, part of Ng family system, taught it to him.
    What's the Ng family system? I've never heard of that

What's the Ng family system? I've never heard of that
    It's a relatively small system which also started in Lexington, KY. My understanding is that they had a bit of a rivalry with Sin The and his students in the early days. Students went from one to the other, and some material may have crept between the two as well.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    It's a relatively small system which also started in Lexington, KY. My understanding is that they had a bit of a rivalry with Sin The and his students in the early days. Students went from one to the other, and some material may have crept between the two as well.
    OIC, that school!

Now it all makes sense.