View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 134 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 34841241321331341351361441842346341134 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I think it's pretty interesting MK, thanks for the site.
    From the site MK posted - " Our style of Kung Fu, Shaolin Hung Mei, is therefore descendant from the original Shaolin Temple. "Hao Peng", the namesake of our school (the Chinese word for school is "wu kwon"), was a nickname given to the last Grandmaster, Choung Shi Gouw Shin Hie, who, several generations ago, migrated to Indonesia. "Hao Peng" was a traveling medicine showman who gave demonstrations and drew large crowds. In order to keep the crowds back, he would spin his fire rope dart. In doing so, he was given the nickname Ho Fang - "Ho" meaning "Fire" and "Fang" meaning "Throw". Due to the language difference in Indonesia, his name was pronounced "Hao Peng". Choung Shi Gouw Shin Hie learned his kung fu from Choung Shi Louie Pek Sing from Northern Shaolin. "

What's interesting, to me, about this info is how tantalizingly close it is to a few stories passed down through SD.
    The story of Ji Shou Hu. I've posted it in full earlier in this thread but in summary Sin The' as a boy visited a "colleague" of GM Ie's on a neighboring island (Bali). He was giving a demo with chain whip...on a bicycle...in front of a crowd.
    Also, the "Giant Bird" forms were a family style and now are known as tai peng (note the other school's ancestor is known as Hao Peng)...this is what GM Sin's brother Hiang specialized in as it was taught by another teacher at the school (Liu Su Pong). And, I BELIEVE, that GM/Master/whatever Hiang ALSO specialized in chain whip. I've seen at least one picture of Hiang whirling around either a chain or rope dart on fire...possibly no relation since THEIR Peng is supposed to be a pronounciation issue, but an odd similarity nontheless.

Their curriculum is NOT all that different than SDs either..."Than Tui", "counter movements" (which correspond with what they call one step sparring techniques),Tai Chi Ba Qua Hsing-I Juen is the last long form learned in their "internal" section , northern and southern forms. If there's absolutely no connection at all, it's interesting how the history (and structure) passed down in each system has certain parallels.
    Last edited by Radhnoti; 01-31-2006 at 11:56 AM.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

phew, I thought this thread was going to die and we would never reach our goal of 10000000 posts. Good job MK.

Looking at the pictures, it seems that before their most recent heads came to the US the head honcho just wore normal guy clothes.

http://www.shaolinhungmei.com/histpg2.html <- wearing dockers

Their "chinese uniforms" seem to be a rather recent introduction. Why, oddly similar to introducing japanese gis.

I thought their material list, and its origins were interesting as well. Shantung in SD is where the black tiger (He Hu Chuan) style originated. It seems they have it listed as well (He Fu juen) although the translations could be off. I'd like to see their Oo Ling Juen form and compare it to SD's and Lau Bun's lineage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

You think their He Hu Chuan is what they translate as Tiger or Black Panther? The black tigers are, from what I understand and as far as I know, unique to SD...it'd be REALLY interesting to see someone else's.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

similar

Again judgeing a style by the uniform is a flaw in logic. But this site does confirm that a "true" Shaolin system did migrate to Indonesia then why couldnt others ? KC

Quote Originally Posted by Radhnoti
    You think their He Hu Chuan is what they translate as Tiger or Black Panther? The black tigers are, from what I understand and as far as I know, unique to SD...it'd be REALLY interesting to see someone else's.
    I have a Shandong Black Tiger form.

Shaolin has its own Black Tigers as well, though I believe they were created pretty recently.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 01-31-2006 at 09:19 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I actually meant the look/moves/feel of SD's Black Tigers, sorry to be so vague. It's one of the few SD forms I've heard people compliment online. But, honestly, SD forms are the only type I've seen in person.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

SD forms are the only type I've seen in person.
    Really? I've seen lots of good Hung Gar, CLF and mantis in person. No other Tiger, though. I've seen some on vid. The techniques and footwork were very similiar, but it was played a little slower than we do our Black Tiger.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Maybe I don't get out much.
    Seriously, I've heard of no styles outside of Korean/Japanese and shaolin-do even within an hour of where I live. And to be honest, the Japanese styles all seem to have even more nebulous histories than SD...or if they DO have a "lineage" it's via seminar.
    Knoxville does seem like it's got quite a bit to offer martially...
    Keep it simple, stupid.

It's got more. Not much for CMA though, but certainly more than where you are or where I used to live. CMA: SD, Wah Lum, a BaGua/Chen Tai Chi teacher, and Richard Clear in Maryville (Kung Tao). Lots of TKD and some Japanese (a really good aikido school here, small but good instruction.) The boxing guy you mentioned, some BJJ and MMA gyms. I've run accross some poeple that train privately too so it's there if you want. For my tastes, I'm happy with the Mullins. They work me hard and teach me well. And its very affordable.

The CLF I see is in Atlanta and the mantis is Oso and Yu Shan's group. Good stuff a couple of hours away.

MK is gonna mess right around and discover the proof that SD is in fact a legit system...
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Maybe I don't get out much.
    I may have to end up moving to Tennessee i think
    “Therefore it is said that victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” - Zhang Yu

Look us up if you do.

Everyone knows Austin is way cooler than any place in Tenn.

We also have killer Mexican Martinis. And good BBQ, beat that!

I've got nothing but good things to say about Austin. . . . but our b-ball team put the smack down on your then ranked #2 horns.

(I must be in a alternate dimension if I'm talking up Tenn. basketball, but not mentioning football.)
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 02-06-2006 at 09:28 AM.