View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 151 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 511011411491501511521531612012516511151 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9
    perhaps those walking steps could be attributed to something as simple as practice space, when the form was taught. The form and the weapon seem to take up a lot of space so it the practice area was small, the instructor may have just walked to an area with more room.

A Kwan dao is a Kwan dao and a pu dao (ja ma dao) is a pu dao, a naginata is a naginata. They are all blades at the end of a staff but they are not the same and do not have the same overall functionality. The different weights, lengths, and thickness of the blades, as well as metal, accounts for that..

Ja ma dao is the horse leg cutter much shorter with a ring at the end of the handle
    Last edited by Green Cloud; 05-23-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Got the hooks off ebay. They are modern although it was listed as being antiques. I do have a single hook that is an antique and at least this one does not have the hook sharpened on the side facing your fingers. I think all modern ones inculding the ones in the photo, have for some reason that side sharp as well. I mean really, why would you want to slice your own fingers?
    I found a close up of the guard on the Kwan do.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Shaolin-Do Video

I am interested in seeing shaolin-do video's

I dont want to sift through 124 pages to find them. if you could link a few, thanks.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

go to page 121 ist post click the link

Here's Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m203c8l6B7w

Ignore the cheesy music. I was playing around and forgot to delete it when I burned the DVD. Anyway, this is me. I'll wait to hear your feedback and then give you my thoughts and critique later. It's not perfect, but it is a representation of an SD weapon form done by yours truly.

Here's an SD student in a MMA fight agasint a wrestler:
    Quote Originally Posted by JuJitsuJoe
    Well ive always been pretty skeptical about some of the claims made but I have always said they are in good shape. I got a video of a Shaolin Do Guy from around Hazard Ky who entered a grappling match. He didnt know alot but he managed to beat the highschool wrestler he fought. He also has like a record of 6-1 or so in MMA. I fought him saturday and it was brutal. I will have a video of that fight later but here is him in his grappling match.

http://media.putfile.com/ShaolinDo

This was me after our fight.

Here's JJJ's fight with the same student:
    Quote Originally Posted by JuJitsuJoe
    My MMa fight vs Shaolin-Do student

http://media.putfile.com/2nd-fight I am the one in black and he is in the red.
    And here's GM Sin The' himself (in the early 80s) breaking a block suspended by twine:
    http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/45...inthebreak.mpg
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-24-2006 at 07:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok, one-this is coming from a staunch traditionalist so ...
    ok, I am not crazy about the set itself. Too much posing and not enough application of the weapon. If it is Kuan-dao set, it shouyld have specific movements which pay homage to General Kuan. Stroking the beard, tightening the helmet,riding the horse,sharpening the blade, sneering at the enemy, etc.
    ok, performance-wise: you looked like youwere walking through it.
    There are specific times when you need to stop and hold a movement.
    You also need to show that you are in control of the weapon, and not the other way around.
    You need to focus on the entire movement and be in the moment. Feel your form, don't just go through the motions. You need intent. There were times when you would do a move, and before that move was fully completed, you already were going onto the next one. This shows that there was no intent. No fighting aspect, just playing the form. Kind of like a run-on sentence. When you hitthose "poses" (for lack of a better word) you need to "nail it", strong stance, good power.
    You need to use a heavier weapon. Spending too much time playing with a light weapon gives you that look that you are not seriously using a weapon for fighting.
    This is simply feedback. I have won numerous tournaments as have my students.
    I know what it takes to make a form win, to make the judges as well as the audience take notice and FEEL you doing the form. They can actually feel yur spirit when you do a form with real power, connection, and intent.

To sum it up you need real emotional content to quote the late bruce lee. Take it from me Ten Tigers actualy takes notes and keeps a record of everyone that he judges, thank god because I have attention defecit and usualy dose off.

10Tigers. Thanks for the criticisms. It's nice to get feedback from someone with the experience and outside perspective that you have. I'll probably post more forms and let people tear them up.

I have a question about your critique. Early on you said that the form had too much posing in it. Then, in the critique of my performance, you said I didn't pause and hit the pose enough. Could you elaborate on these points a little and explain the difference? Thanks.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I liked it Judge. (This is a first. I hate everything.) I'd echo TT's review and add more forcefulness to the stepping. Your right ankle position in the beginning troubles me a little. Perhaps you were taught that way but I would have that foot firmly planted.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM.
    I liked it Judge. (This is a first. I hate everything.) I'd echo TT's review and add more forcefulness to the stepping. Your right ankle position in the beginning troubles me a little. Perhaps you were taught that way but I would have that foot firmly planted.
    No I was not taught that way. It's a mistake on my part. I have horrible hip flexibility and I think that contribute to the problem, but really it was carelessness on my part to let my foot roll up like that.

thanks for the postings. i look forward to seeing others.

the only kuan dao form i can compare that too is ours. i do not yet know it. though i learn it soon.

that is a little dao. did you remove the spike?

curious, at the time of that performance, how long had you been studying that particular set?

i would second the advice on the forcefullness of your stepping. as well as intent. i did get the impression that you were moving slower than you could, to keep correct form.

it is not bad though. quite different from the form our school practices.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

It is a smaller dao. It's only 6 feet tall and weighs 5lbs. It has a live and very sharp blade on it. It's not technically a kwan dao, I suppose, but I like using a live blade. There's no spike, just a counter-weight.

I was a bit tenative on a couple of the moves as this is the very form that I blew out my knee while doing and the floor was little slick. As I said, I'm not a forms person (never pretended to be) so some of the stylistic things are lost to me. And I have some minor limitations with flexibility that come into play on the proper stances. But, that's my form about as well as I could do it (a little nervous in the tournament and knowing that I was going to post it here).

I've had this form for a while. (13 years). I don't work on it often, but its a form that I can just pick up and do.

I've got a vid of a SD Tiger & Crane form on my comp. I forget where exactly it came from though (one of the schools' websites).

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad
    I've got a vid of a SD Tiger & Crane form on my comp. I forget where exactly it came from though (one of the schools' websites).

Probably Atlanta's site. That particular video has been discussed quite a bit in previous threads.