View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 154 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 541041441521531541551561642042546541154 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I don't know about you Ten Tigers but we did away with the hi o silver act in our sets.

Not to say I don't show it to my student's, I even make them galop in a circle just for my amusement. But as far as demos go we just strike the pose once and go into onother move from there.

As far as general kwan sroking his beard well that's just cool and give the demonstrator of the weapon time to catch his breath while doing some chi gung breathing while the beard is being stroaked.

It's just knip tuck and it's okay I watched my sifu do that all the time, but then again he knew his stuff.

GC or 10Tigers,

One of you have a link of the Kwan Dao form you guys teach or do. I'd like to compare and see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

When you watch Kung Fu movies they all are choreagraphed but you will notice that the transitions have a certain order regardless of choreagraphy.

Move that took 2000 years to put together have to look better than something that somebody decided to slap together unless you understand the iner workings of kung fu. Their is a proper flow of movement when it comes to certain stancework in kung fu.

If a choreographer does not take these things into consideration then the form will not only look un traditional but bad.

I'm not really trying to make a point if there is a point

Hey Green Cloud, i like the galloping part

i did it once in Singapore before a huge audience that applauded during that part . The older generation that know the story love it!
    i have to admit that the way some people do it is hilarious

I gotta give props to those Jow Ga guys because they have a really awesome Kwan Do set. i saw one of their guys play it once and he rocked the galloping part.

Hung

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    GC or 10Tigers,

One of you have a link of the Kwan Dao form you guys teach or do. I'd like to compare and see it.

I'l either post one on my site or send you a vid real soon

check out the video links here:http://www.floridakungfu.com/kung_fu_videos.htm

look at their jam ma do links. there are a few. these are clips so you can't see the entire form, but you can get a good idea of the form.

gotta give props to thos choy li fut guys too
    Hung

I've got nothing but respect for CLF. I've seen film of Master Dino Salvatera do Kwan Dao before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Ditto that JP! John Wai`s school is strong. There two man empty hand sets are weak though, but that is about it.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Good job stepping up.

Boy, that is why you'll never see me put up a form. I have some of the problems you do.

Everyone is giving good pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    I'l either post one on my site or send you a vid real soon
    Yeah, I can't wait for you to upload another vid on the site! ^_^

~~J
    Akahai - Modesty
    Lokahi Aku Like - Unison and harmony
    'Olu 'Olu Ka Manao - Pleasant thoughts
    Ha'a Ha'a - Humility
    Ahonui A Lanakila - Patience will achieve your goals

Yeah us CLF guys did away with the "high ho silver". Lee Koon Hung phased it out over the years and I always get a laugh looking at my collection of old videos and people giddy-upping in a circle. The General Kwan playing with the beard is quite cool though.

So many of the southern kwan do sets are similar: CLF, Hung Gar, Jow Gar and Hak Fu Moon.

By the way the 2-man open hand set is the basic one. There is a more advanced one that is quite cool that most don't know.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 05-26-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Just my two cents but the horse riding and beard srtoking stuff belongs to the southern styles. I've learned a couple and seen many more legit northern kwan do forms that don't contain movements.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Years ago, when y'all were still in diapers, I saw a guy from Wan Ji-Ming's school do Kuan-doa, and his horse riding section was really nice. I used to get so upset-"How come he doesn't have to gallop around in a circle?"

buykungfu.com has very good kwan daos for like 40 bucks.