View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 164 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 641141541621631641651661742142646641164 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty
    ????????????????????

I don't understand, like what?
    In one of our Hua forms you start out in a left leg bow stance and throw a right leg straight kick. You are supposed to turn 270 degrees and stomp with the right leg, but the right leg is supposed to stay straight up in the air (like a full american split). Not impossible, but I've seen very few people in any style that can actually do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

just curious, but how the heck is one supposed to stomp their right leg AND keep it in the air? If I misunderstood, forgive me, but does the leg come back up AFTER the stomp?
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty
    just curious, but how the heck is one supposed to stomp their right leg AND keep it in the air? If I misunderstood, forgive me, but does the leg come back up AFTER the stomp?
    You misunderstood. The right leg comes up in a straight leg kick, then you turn 270 with the leg straight in the air and then you stomp.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Which Hua are you speaking of KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    You misunderstood. The right leg comes up in a straight leg kick, then you turn 270 with the leg straight in the air and then you stomp.
    Ahhhhh now I get it, thanks
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang
    Which Hua are you speaking of KC
    End of 1 and 3.

Hua

Thats an interesting interpretation of the move you are speaking of near the end I have never seen or heard of it being done that way. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

We had 2 people win a tournament. I'll try to find out the name of the tournament. The Grand Champion of that tournament did a PM form. The one that supposedly doesn't exist, you know Tang Lang Chien. The winner is a Chinese Shao-Lin Center student 3rd degree as I recall.
    I remember that. The "grand champion" was a first black attending the Colorado Springs CSC at the time. He placed first in forms and sparring, I think. His counterpart came in first in weapons. She did the 36 posture Tai Chi iron fan form, and was also a first black at the time, from Colorado Springs. I believe the tournament was called battle of the creek, maybe? in Cripple Creek, or Battle of the Peak, or something like that. I believe it mainly consisted of schools from the local area around Colorado Springs. It was hosted/orgnaized by the American Kempo Karate schools which are so darn prolific down there. The rules of the tourney have since changed, to make it less friendly to non-AKK and karate people. (which is why no one from CSC bothers to go there anymore)

As for the Topic of the thread, I can come at the question from a different angle than most of the forum participants here. My first style is Okinawan Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu Karate, which I have been practicing for fifteen years. I can say first hand that there is no Okinawan Karate "flavor" in anything taught at CSC/SD. I don't have experience in any other Chinese styles, and I can't say for sure where GM The's material came from, but it is not Okinawan or Japanese Karate.
    The staff forms practiced in CSC are nothing like Okinawan bo kata. Different methods completely. The cha/sai form of CSC is not Okinawan either. The stances and techniques are not like any kobudo kata you will find.
    I will say that CSC's, in my opinion, do not hold students to a high enough standard, and promote people too easily and quickly. This extends sometimes even to instructors, though generally the instructors in the west are picked or screened by the masters to make sure they represent the style to an adequate level. The material, in the hands of people who are talented and train hard, can look good and be used effectively. This is the problem for the most part, and not that the material is necessarily inauthentic or misunderstood. I would love to find out where it all actually came from, but have pretty much given up on that. I keep training and don't worry about the labels for now.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by Leto
    I believe it mainly consisted of schools from the local area around Colorado Springs. It was hosted/orgnaized by the American Kempo Karate schools which are so darn prolific down there.
    Exactly. Go do that form at a tournament where people know anything about Praying Mantis and it may not fair so well.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

Quote Originally Posted by onyomi
    Exactly. Go do that form at a tournament where people know anything about Praying Mantis and it may not fair so well.
    You really need to stop. I really don't like when people misrepresent themselves while trying to tear someone else down. It is very disrespectful.

Honestly, if you want to pick apart the art logically, I might actually help you in that respect.
    Last edited by godzillakungfu; 07-04-2006 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leto
    I will say that CSC's, in my opinion, do not hold students to a high enough standard, and promote people too easily and quickly. This extends sometimes even to instructors, though generally the instructors in the west are picked or screened by the masters to make sure they represent the style to an adequate level. The material, in the hands of people who are talented and train hard, can look good and be used effectively. This is the problem for the most part, and not that the material is necessarily inauthentic or misunderstood. I would love to find out where it all actually came from, but have pretty much given up on that. I keep training and don't worry about the labels for now.
    They did not so much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang
    Thats an interesting interpretation of the move you are speaking of near the end I have never seen or heard of it being done that way. KC
    Master Garry often refers to that move as one that is never done right (including himself). We should compare notes on Hua soon. It should be interesting to observe the differences in our teachers' interpretation on these forms.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    start out in a left leg bow stance and throw a right leg straight kick. You are supposed to turn 270 degrees and stomp with the right leg, but the right leg is supposed to stay straight up in the air (like a full american split).
    Interesting. I assume that you are refering to the move where one hand is open, one is a fist, then kick between them, stomp, chop/kick, fan low....etc.....

I don't remember it myself as a 270 move. More of a 180. Interesting. I could do it either way mind you.....
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Smile you have got to be kidding me!!

Quote Originally Posted by onyomi
    check this out ...lets agree to disagree...this has gone on way too long and has corrupted another thread...you have continued on this path and have refused to stop...

.....you find non intrinsic things to continue to focus on ..now I will ask for the sake of the group and the arts themselves ...can you stop this bs now?? You are too judgemental ( heavy emphasis on the mental)and refuse to see anything other than your own way in the light of intelligent and acurrate information .....why do you continue with this with no apparent end in sight??? ...

.....you continue to choose ignorance and to me that is disturbing...what this is saying is that somewhere in the back of your mind you know what we claim is possible ( but not highly probable) and that because it goes so far against( it really does not) that if messes with your mind..and that you have NO philosophical foundation or backround ( or else you would be more humble)....

..you ignore all of what we say just to save face, for yourself ,your master, and the kung fu community...get over yourself, your preconceived ideas of what is and what is not, find the truth in what is being said here, and move on to the next stage in your training..because this is definately holding you back...
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 07-05-2006 at 07:44 AM.

hahahahahha

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty
    ????????????????????

I don't understand, like what?
    ..someone has to or had to be able to do them right or they would not be there or exist