View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 21 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331711215211021 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Give CMD some time, he's got a lot of forms to practice.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Originally posted by KC Elbows
    Give CMD some time, he's got a lot of forms to practice.
    Not anymore, apparently he left SD and does now a TCMA.

I still like his attitude and think he makes a fine and upstanding rolemodel for NY cops.

Looks to me like CMD chickened out.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Shaolin in Tennessee

Like Judge Penn, I also study with Mullins Shaolin Kung-fu in Tennessee.
    Master Mullins, with over 30 years of experience, is an exceptional martial artist and teacher. Both his sons are also excellent. Grandmaster Sin visits on occasion for rank tests and has participated in our tournament demonstrations that help to raise money for local charities.

I also study T'ai Chi with Master Mullins. I have taken one T'ai Chi seminar with Grandmaster William C. C. Chen. While the forms display some variation, both appear to remain true to the classics in theory and practice.

I'll whip your a$$ with Sparring Techniques 1-15 only (by the way, that's from the SD curriculum)
    hahaha, that's the funniest thing I've read all day. I bet a TMA will run in fear from that deadly upside down jab thing.
    Straight outta Locash

Re: Shaolin in Tennessee

Originally posted by oldmonkey
    Like Judge Penn, I also study with Mullins Shaolin Kung-fu in Tennessee.
    Master Mullins, with over 30 years of experience, is an exceptional martial artist and teacher. Both his sons are also excellent. Grandmaster Sin visits on occasion for rank tests and has participated in our tournament demonstrations that help to raise money for local charities.

I also study T'ai Chi with Master Mullins. I have taken one T'ai Chi seminar with Grandmaster William C. C. Chen. While the forms display some variation, both appear to remain true to the classics in theory and practice.
    OldMonkey:

Nice to see you here. Did you go to the tournament Saturday? I'm sure we probably know one another. PM me.

BTW, if you stay here a while, you will notice that when your post shows a connection between SD and a "legitimate" style, like Chen Tai Chi, it is usually ignored.

JP
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

JP, oldmonkey and one (maybe two if he's still around) others are the only SDer's I know of that pre-date me on this forum. Notice how his signup date is 1969?

Almost 4 years ago...ages.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Ahhhhh. I see that now. I just saw the "9" post count and though he was a newbie. My bad.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Different courses for different horses

Shaolin-Do, why not?

An aweful lot of this fake shaolin pride going on. Does everyone in this forum believe they are a monk? Shaolin-Do can be and is just as ligitimate an art as any other martial style.

If I played violin in an orchestra, should the cello be considered any less an instrument?

Saturday tournament

Yes, Judge Penn, I was there Saturday, though I did not compete.

The black belt fighting was really fun to watch..really good sportsmanship, too, from what I saw.

An aweful lot of this fake shaolin pride going on. Does everyone in this forum believe they are a monk? Shaolin-Do can be and is just as ligitimate an art as any other martial style.
    I can't speak for anyone else who is training in real Shaolin Kung Fu but for myself I am training for a purpose.......many purposes. Am I monk? No. Does the possibilty exist for me becoming a disciple of a monk? Yes. Is that important to me? Yes....is it important for you? Probably not. We all have our reason(s) for training in martial arts.

I don't really know a whole lot about Shaolin do. As a matter of fact I never heard of it until the Shaolin monks started immigrating to America. Then all of a sudden Shaolin do emerges in the public eye. From what I understand, many members boast that they are true Shaolin and many members claim modern Shaolin is fake. It's not the Shaolin do martial art itself that is bad, it's the numerous members that make these accusations that makes the whole style look bad. I think that's why Shaolin do is slammed because of the stuff its members are putting out on these message boards.

Re: Saturday tournament

Originally posted by oldmonkey
    Yes, Judge Penn, I was there Saturday, though I did not compete.

The black belt fighting was really fun to watch..really good sportsmanship, too, from what I saw.
    You saw me fight, and lose, in the final match, then. Most of us knew one another, at least on some levels, and that helps. If you have to lose, then lose to someone you know and respect.

Originally posted by Songshan

I don't really know a whole lot about Shaolin do. As a matter of fact I never heard of it until the Shaolin monks started immigrating to America. Then all of a sudden Shaolin do emerges in the public eye. From what I understand, many members boast that they are true Shaolin and many members claim modern Shaolin is fake. It's not the Shaolin do martial art itself that is bad, it's the numerous members that make these accusations that makes the whole style look bad. I think that's why Shaolin do is slammed because of the stuff its members are putting out on these message boards.
    Sin The and crew were calling their art "Shaolin" from the beginning in the late 60s so I don't think the impetus of the name Shaolin-Do had anything to do with the relatively recent influx of monks immigrating to America.

BTW, I'll agree that I've seen some pretty dumb posts on both sides of the SD fence. To blame it on just the SD members is unfair, but expected.

JP,
    An SD member posted here that Sin The' adopted the name Shaolin-Do in 1986. Are you saying this is not the case?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

No, Shaolin-"Do" may have been adopted in 1986 (I thought it was 1990 something when the SDA [Shaolin-Do Association was formed to try to standardize some of the schools that taguht material passed down through Sin The) but the term Shaolin was always used by Sin The.