View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 210 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1101602002082092102112122202603107101210 ... LastLast
Results 3,136 to 3,150 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Talking

The existence of extraterrestrial visititation to this planet is a different game all together.
    Do we really want to completely derail this thread with aliens and flying saucers?

As for the Coliseum, we do know allot about it. If you are interested, do some reading on it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    The existence of extraterrestrial visititation to this planet is a different game all together.
    Do we really want to completely derail this thread with aliens and flying saucers?

As for the Coliseum, we do know allot about it. If you are interested, do some reading on it.
    You were the one who brought up UFOs.

I have done a lot of reading about the Coliseum. I don't think that the Coliseum is a UFO landing pad, and the evidence would suggest that it was not. But it's not scientifically proven, because nothing is ever proven in science.

Most people don't understand the scientific method or the logical underpinnings of science, the difference between deductive and inductive reasoning, etc.

The pic of Su Kong and the website KC referenced was posted in an SD discussion thread before. Maybe not this thread, but who can tell with the size of this thread now...anyway, I recall looking at that site before. And if the person who researched it did a good job and still called Su Kong Tai Djin a "buddhist master" wouldn't that also contradict SD history which states Su Kong was a "martial monk"?
    I suspect, as others have posted, that the website maker was just googling around for "hypertrichosis" and took the first pics that popped up.

But, yeah, none of this matters unless your a lineage prima donna...which it seems most kung fu guys are.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    You were the one who brought up UFOs.

I have done a lot of reading about the Coliseum. I don't think that the Coliseum is a UFO landing pad, and the evidence would suggest that it was not. But it's not scientifically proven, because nothing is ever proven in science.

Most people don't understand the scientific method or the logical underpinnings of science, the difference between deductive and inductive reasoning, etc.
    We absolutely cannot talk about aliens....Their lineage cannot be proven!

Lunghushan,

The person in the video isn't an SD master or even a full-time teacher. He is an average student who has attained a higher rank in SD.

In short, the person in that video is me, and I freely acknowedge that the form can and should be done more correctly. It is, however, a good representation of my forms skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

What about the music?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Lunghushan,

The person in the video isn't an SD master or even a full-time teacher. He is an average student who has attained a higher rank in SD.

In short, the person in that video is me, and I freely acknowedge that the form can and should be done more correctly. It is, however, a good representation of my forms skill.
    Well I'm sorry for being critical.

Of course, part of my beef with the unicorn step is that I have a really hard time doing it myself ... also one of my teachers told me it's the first thing to go when people get older so a lot of lineages do not do their forms correctly because they were taught by older people. (He himself cannot do it because he f'ed up his knee).

Look, the reason I say, 900 forms ??? Is not because of the number of forms.

But how can you be a master of 900 forms? There's just no physical way. There aren't enough hours in the day.

You might be able to 'do' many forms, but you will not be able to do them correctly.

People in ancient times used to only usually master one weapon. The amoung of practice time for getting good at one weapon usually precluded mastering 2-3 weapons. Occasionally you'd find somebody who was really good at 2-3, who practiced an awful lot, but usually it was just one.

When you hear about famous generals or samurai who were good at spear, sword and bow, they spent all their spare time practicing and usually practiced full time as well. If you hold down a job there aren't enough hours in the day to practice.

Don't be sorry for being critical. That form has already been posted and disected both for my ability and the CMA origin of the form. It is an example of an authentic SD form. The stepping was done the way I was taught, so I don't know how to compare it to your unicorn stepping.

The music was me playing around when I edited it, and then I could't take it off when I posted it. What, you have something against "Live"?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Look, the reason I say, 900 forms ??? Is not because of the number of forms.

But how can you be a master of 900 forms? There's just no physical way. There aren't enough hours in the day.

You might be able to 'do' many forms, but you will not be able to do them correctly.

People in ancient times used to only usually master one weapon. The amoung of practice time for getting good at one weapon usually precluded mastering 2-3 weapons. Occasionally you'd find somebody who was really good at 2-3, who practiced an awful lot, but usually it was just one.

When you hear about famous generals or samurai who were good at spear, sword and bow, they spent all their spare time practicing and usually practiced full time as well. If you hold down a job there aren't enough hours in the day to practice.
    I'm skeptical of 900 forms too, but in truth, I don't know how many forms Sin The has. I know he has said that he has to go back and work many of them up before he teaches them.

Some food for thought

Some analogies:

Modern Shaolin (the current curriculum at the temple)::"Classical Shaolin"
    as
    Chinese food in Chinatown (any):: Real Chinese Food
    Ergo...
    Shaolin Derived Styles in America::Modern Shaolin::"Classical Shaolin"
    as
    Chinese-American Food::Chinese Food in Chinatown::Real Chinese Food

In other words, Chinese-American Food can still taste very good (Bourbon Chicken and Crab Rangoons, anyone?) and the guy/gal cooking it can still be said to be very talented, a master even- but it's still not Authentic. The best Chinese-American food chef might cook better tasting and higher quality food than a mediocre Chinatown Chef, but they're ultimately two different roads; the "fake" Chinese chef still can't go to the Chinatown chef and say "Hey, that's not Chinese food! It doesn't taste anything like mine!" without first defying quite a few key principles behind that process we like to call "Critical Thinking."

It all comes down to- do you want to make/eat poor quality authentic food, or high-quality "fake" food?

Me, I'd rather have high quality authentic food. But as we all know, that is a hard find, and some people don't like authentic food ("yuck, squid!" "Ewwww... you're gonna eat TOFU???") which is fine. Live and let live.
    Make of that what you will.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

BT. Borrowing your example: What if the "Chinese food" was controlled by the communist Chinese food association and they'd passed new guidelines for the nutritional values the "Chinese food" must contain. Tasting more sweet was also a new prerequisite.
    "Authentic" becomes a bit of a moot point...it's all been changed.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Judge Pen?

Have you received a response from Prof. Dikotter? TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

So far, inconclusive

Here is Dr. Dikotter's response and my follow-up:

Dr. Dikotter,

Thank you for your reply. I am not privy to the other inquiaries other than they have been made. Can you tell me whether or not you have come across this photograph before? If so, do you believe this to be Li Baoshu? Again, thank you for your time.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...9&d=1109867470

[Judge Pen]

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 1:29 PM
    To: [Judge Pen]
    Subject: Re: Li Baoshu

Hi [JP],

I have received many similar questions about Li Baoshu but unfortunately do not know anything else!

Frank

Hi [JP],

I have received many similar questions about Li Baoshu but unfortunately do not know anything else!

Frank

aka....stop bugging me and start training....
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......