View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 22 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432721225221022 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Good to see you oldmonkey. Though I have NO idea who you are, I'm sure we've met. I too study under Master Mullins.
    Shut up and train.

LUEsers unite

Shaolin Do was used in the early seventies at least. As far as I know, Sin The used it from the very beginning.

Hey Songshan, come down off your "high horse"...

every time I read one of your posts it sounds like a "holier-than-thou" sermon....

I've been on the street and walking the beat for over 12 years, in case you wanted to know...

just because you're a cop, and just because you train under a renegade monk from Shaolin DOESN'T mean you know everything, man

you sit there and make assumptions about an art you have no clue about, not ONE clue

Shaolin-do IS real Shaolin, and if that ruffles your chicken feathers in the least bit, well, I don't give a flying F
    Have you ever tried any psychotherapy to clear up your issues? ~ cerebus

I had a fealing you'd be coming through here... ~ Northern Practitioner

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Crazy Mad Drunk. You do indeed come across as mentally ill and chemically messed up. Congratulations on your well-chosen name. ~ Chang Style Novice

Did I mention that I was a national San Shou champoin? ~ Liokault

I've been on the street and walking the beat for over 12 years, in case you wanted to know...
    You still trying to pass yourself off as a Hung-Gar studying NY cop? Houston isn't so far from San Antonio. Why don't you go challenge Songshan with your short forms 1-15?

Originally posted by quantum
    Shaolin Do was used in the early seventies at least. As far as I know, Sin The used it from the very beginning.
    Hey Quantum. Nice to have you here. What MK is referring to is an old post where the use of the Japanese term "Do" mixed with the title "Shaolin" was an illegitimate indicator of SD. One person posted that prior to the advent of the SDA, Sd schools went by all kinds of names(Shaolin Do, Shaolin karate, shoalin-do kung fu, etc) and one of the functions of the SDA was for all members schools to refer to the art as Shaolin-Do.

As far as I know, you are correct in that Sin the has called it SD form the Seventies at least (according to Master Mullins)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Hey Saliva Crumb-

you guessed it, I should have known I couldn't get away from the SHERIFF

I got a better idea, why don't you go suck my left nutt

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Crazy Mad Drunk. You do indeed come across as mentally ill and chemically messed up. Congratulations on your well-chosen name. ~ Chang Style Novice

I got a better idea, why don't you go suck my left nutt
    Sure, but I'll need some help on which name to scream out when your done....should I yell crazymaddrunk, YinYangDagger, ShaolinDo , or Golden Snake?

How many knicknames does one person need? And why is YinYangDagger the only nice personality you have? Is it because he's the real person and the others are your fragile ego lashing out, or did Daddy pound you in the butt too much and make the other people inside you mean?

Hey Quantum. Nice to have you here. What MK is referring to is an old post where the use of the Japanese term "Do" mixed with the title "Shaolin" was an illegitimate indicator of SD. One person posted that prior to the advent of the SDA, Sd schools went by all kinds of names(Shaolin Do, Shaolin karate, shoalin-do kung fu, etc) and one of the functions of the SDA was for all members schools to refer to the art as Shaolin-Do.

As far as I know, you are correct in that Sin the has called it SD form the Seventies at least (according to Master Mullins)

JP,
    Thanks for bringing me up to date! I have seen many instances of Shaolin Do called "karate" and just "Shaolin Do". It seems to me that people started using the "kung fu" term in the last 10-15 years.

quantum

My understanding is that it was called Karate either in Indonesia under Ie's direction or after Sin The came to Kentucky, but it was always explained as Chinese in origin. I started about 15 years ago and that was what I heard from day one. "It's called karate, but it is kung fu." Some people here have a problem with that.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Confused Crumb...

sounds like to me you're all confused...or just plain stupid...yeah, just plain stupid will work...

I don't have time to bicker with a punk like yourself...I'm simply here to blast you know-it-all punks concerning SD, if you don't like it, well, refer to my first post concerning you...

BALETED!!!
    Shut up and train.

LUEsers unite

a rose by any other name...

It may be difficult for younger martial artists to realize this, but in the sixties, when Grandmaster Sin first came to the U.S., most Americans were very unfamiliar with martial arts names. The word, "karate" was the most popular term used generically to refer to what we now call the martial arts.

Other systems that were new to the U.S. often used the term "karate" simply because it was a more commonly understood name. Given the more obvious similarities, this is not such a stretch! I still have a large, hardbound book from the seventies published on Tae Kwon Do that is entitled "Korean Karate." Now that TKD is well known, this is no longer the practice. The same is true with the Shaolin arts. "Kung-fu" remains the popular, generic term that Americans have used ever since the Bruce Lee films and the Kung-fu television series made it a household word.

Before that time, "Karate" was the term most Americans used to designate any martial art associated with the orient. The U.S. contact with Japan in the reconstruction period following WWII contributed to an influx of martial training and knowledge coming from that country. Judo, Jiu-jitsu, and Karate were most popularized by the earliest James Bond movies.

If you look at the political climate of the sixties, it will notice that it was the Vietnam era, also the Cultural Revolution was taking place in China, so relations were strained. If you study Indonesian history you will also see the ebb and flow of Japanese influence.

If you do your research, you will find that these terms make sense when understood in their proper historical and cultural context. Despite the word choice, we are still training with a system that comes from Grandmaster Sin, a man of Chinese descent who grew up in Indonesia and studied from Grandmaster Ie, who brought his knowledge of Shaolin fighting arts from China.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

To beat a dead horse

You know, my biggest criticism of SD in this area is not so much that it is/was called Karate, but that it actually at times look like Americanized Krotty. Forms aside, most of the SD practitioners I've seen are linear and bouncy when using apps/sparring. Maybe it was because the Krotty method was the best approach at the time for bringing in his version of KF into America...I don't know. However, I know Chinese practitioners who came to the US either before or since, and they have not used that method, as it doesn't make sense in traditional CMA. I like traditional Karate, but imho, I think Krotty- jumping around-playing paddy-cake-touch fighting is a waste of time.

IPPON! Full Point! Match to Ralphie.

Re: To beat a dead horse

Originally posted by Ralphie
    You know, my biggest criticism of SD in this area is not so much that it is/was called Karate, but that it actually at times look like Americanized Krotty. Forms aside, most of the SD practitioners I've seen are linear and bouncy when using apps/sparring. Maybe it was because the Krotty method was the best approach at the time for bringing in his version of KF into America...I don't know. However, I know Chinese practitioners who came to the US either before or since, and they have not used that method, as it doesn't make sense in traditional CMA. I like traditional Karate, but imho, I think Krotty- jumping around-playing paddy-cake-touch fighting is a waste of time.
    I think the reason some SD practitioners look that way is that they (we ) don't spend the time practicing a form, its applications and drills, and learn to fight from that form. Our sparring techniques were invented to teach a beginer to spar from our short form and, unfortunately, many Sd people never learn to fight with the more traditional forms they learn later.