View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 235 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1351852252332342352362372452853357351235 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Oh, by the way, thank you Sun Fist in trying to educate us poor SDers
    Not arrogant at all are you
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by Flaca View Post
    40 or so masters throughout the states. I have one master (6th black), he is the only master in TX. There can be only one.... grandmaster.
    Flaca, lol, I here ya. Not quite what I was talkin bout, but I hear ya .
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Oh by the way.....you know that Jow Ga practitoners and San Soo practitioners have a different lineage too...plus they have belt ranking systems..... are they not kung fu or Shaolin??
    I'm not aware of too many (any as a matter of fact) Jow Ga schools that have a belt ranking system...

Did I misread that?

Cool the flames

Please refrain from being overly insulting to each other on this thread. I'm starting to get complaints again, and that's bothersome. If you want to challenge each other, threaten each other, or anything that could be used later in a court of law please take that off this forum and discuss it somewhere else.

You know, I have a real love/hate relationship with this thread. It's one of the longest on the forum and it flips from being interesting and intelligent to catty and ridiculous. I totally support constructive dialog and I realize that this is a charged issue. At the same time, it would be really easy, even tempting, to lock down this thread or just delete it forever. I hope that we can all return to a peaceful discussion, or at least as peaceful as can be for martial artists.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Please refrain from being overly insulting to each other on this thread. I'm starting to get complaints again, and that's bothersome. If you want to challenge each other, threaten each other, or anything that could be used later in a court of law please take that off this forum and discuss it somewhere else.

You know, I have a real love/hate relationship with this thread. It's one of the longest on the forum and it flips from being interesting and intelligent to catty and ridiculous. I totally support constructive dialog and I realize that this is a charged issue. At the same time, it would be really easy, even tempting, to lock down this thread or just delete it forever. I hope that we can all return to a peaceful discussion, or at least as peaceful as can be for martial artists.

For someone who does Shaolin, what do you feel of SD? What do you think about their history and their forms?

I think we should lock the thread. We used to have a rule that there are somethings you shouldn't discuss at the dinner table: politics and religion.

With MA, it seems like you can't argue rationally about it. You can only fight about it. Therefore, we should probably lock the thread and be done with it.
    Last edited by lunghushan; 09-14-2006 at 02:25 PM.

I have a love/hate relationship with this thread too. But I could care less if its deleted or locked. But another thread would rise to take its place. I get frustrated by petty insults etc, but I appreciate an intelligent discourse and would miss the posts that are actually constructive.

Of course if we're talking about lineage, then honestly, I could care less.

Lung, I thought this thread was a waste of time for you. Why do you keep coming back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Yes Lock it nothing has been proven or disproven here . If we all followed the Philosophical tenets of the Shaolin Way then we would all be brothers and who talks like this to a brother. I have looked back over this thread and the same things are said only in different ways. KC
    I think some things were proven on both sides, but the other refused to listen.

If you are worried about legal stuff, deleting it would be best. But has it really escalated to that? I don't think so. I think that little threat war cooled down. In my opinion, the main thing that's bad avout this thread is that it dominates the Shaolin forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with this thread too. But I could care less if its deleted or locked. But another thread would rise to take its place. I get frustrated by petty insults etc, but I appreciate an intelligent discourse and would miss the posts that are actually constructive.

Of course if we're talking about lineage, then honestly, I could care less.

Lung, I thought this thread was a waste of time for you. Why do you keep coming back?
    I was responding to Gene.

Just play nice, ok?

The forum is kind of like turning your stereo up real loud. If no one complains, who cares? You guys can flame each other all you like as long as no one complains. But when people start to complain, then I got to look through the posts and arbitrate and frankly, if I wanted to be a judge in the martial arts arena, you'd see me at more tournaments judging. I hate judging. Judge not. But that's my own head trip. Back to this thread.

I think JP is right - another thread would pop up in it's place, so it's nice to have all the SD arguments reasonably contained. I'd rather merge new SD threads into this one than kill it. And the thread has certainly had its moments. As for my personal opinion of SD or any other of the questioned arts, all I can say is they pay their bills, which is more than can be said for a lot of the self-proclaimed authentic-lineage TCMAers. I've met GM The, as well as the Soards, and a few others who are senior in the SD lineage. It was a long time ago for The and the Soards, prior to me working here, so they probably don't remember me. Don't try to draw me into this debate. I've got enough on my hands with all the Shaolin is just wushu debates here.

At this point, I'm going to let it stand in hopes that tempers cool and threats subside. I imagine that I might have even done this before on this thread, somewhere back in the past. And I can foresee doing it again. If the flaming continues, I'll do some banning, so just be respectful to each other. Don't cross that line.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Well does SD offer private lessons at reasonable rates? Maybe then my problem of lack of practice partner would be solved.

In my ideal world, you would be able to read Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine, find something that interested you, some form or something, go online to view a video preview, then buy the video on Martialartsmart.com, then go to your local chain school (could be Shaolin-Do, why not?) and take some private lessons in just that, and then spar with people.

In a very clean, hygenic environment, where people wore shoes and protective gear to minimize skin to skin contact and the spread of diseases.

Somebody make it happen, okay?

Why is it when I threaten someone no one takes it seriously and thinks it's just a joke?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Why is it when I threaten someone no one takes it seriously and thinks it's just a joke?
    How come whenever I try to make some point on here everybody thinks I'm trolling?

15. my offer still stands lung. when im out there i will have time to spend doing push hands or whatever..forms ideas application...im sure there is a lot we can teach each other