View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 237 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1371872272352362372382392472873377371237 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Everyone needs a step back and look at themselves once in a while. I recall reading how GT felt that there were some things that he felt were valid concerns that he didn't see before posting here. I had posted something similar to that before he came here.
    I have met MK and thought he was a good guy. Met TWS and he was really easy going.
    Everyone brings something to the table. If you think you have all the answers but no one is asking you anything, there might be a reason.
    Last edited by BM2; 09-14-2006 at 10:46 PM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Well if you think about it, what SD is trying to do is kindof mind boggling, right?

I mean, they definitely got guts. Most people would probably not be able to master just taijiquan or something, but they're doing a whole TON of stuff.

And they seem to be pretty nice folks. They seem to be having a good time. So, whatever.

You know, nobody seems to have thought of the something about the hairy faced boy. Which is, they might have just had this story of the hairy faced person in their lineage, so they used that photo just for their books and ads.

But I swear I came across a reference to that guy before before someplace, in another book. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    Oh, by the way, thank you Sun Fist in trying to educate us poor SDers
    Not arrogant at all are you
    Its just that im ten times more awesome than anyone else, it puts a strain or relations sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    Since you have not defined the parameters of "real", then your points don't have merit. Shall we move over to the Socratic method perhaps to help you along?
    Dont worry, I have faith that you can figure out the basics on your own.

In order to test any theory, especially Occams (which is more of a lazy persons way of testing it), you must present a null hypothesis (which you haven't) and then be able to prove or disprove it (which by the way, you have done neither).
    As you said, im lazy.

By that "logic", every theory would be by default true and provable. You are now mixings philosophy with logic. Be consistant.
    I never stated that my lesson would consist wholly of logic. And its actually a paradox, since if every theory were true and provable this would be also, and so round and round we go.

Well, I would imagine as long as uncle bob can kick your a$$ from here to Occams house, he doesnt really care if you like his kong foo krotty or not.
    Thats the problem, Uncle bob could be kyokushin, but that doesnt make it any more comprable to my kung fu.

Here We Are At 200

I know this wasn't the best National Geographic ever offered up, but do my fellow SD peeps see anything familiar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G-dy...related&search
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Monk
    Speaking of which, who's going to be in Lexington Saturday?
    I will probably make over sometime during the day.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Monk
    I know this wasn't the best National Geographic ever offered up, but do my fellow SD peeps see anything familiar?

Interesting. Here you have a fellow that is a Wushu champ and in the set you are refering to, he is actually doing the opening of Lohan Chien, then goes into the 3rd or 4th move of Fei Fu Chu Tung and adds a little Golden Tiger fist inbetween. All of these, for those of you taking notes, are considered very very simple forms and taught within the first 9 months.

Interesting to say the least...
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    So why not register? It's just another forum... a pretty darn good one at that.
    Ok, ok, I registered. Now I need about an hour to read and absorb.

The youtube video of the wushu artist (lohan chuan and fe hu chu tong) appears to be clips put together, not one long form. He appears (to me at least) not to be 'rooted' well. Like he should study tai chi for a couple years.
    Last edited by Flaca; 09-15-2006 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    You have to realize, I am deathly afraid of the South. Maybe it was growing up with Dukes of Hazzard, but I always imagined a Boss Hogg at every turn in the road, ready to serve me up in jail and make me a slave in some chain-gang.

I had a girlfriend from West Virginia who I met in NY, who went to UNC Asheville, and she wanted me to visit. Being deathly afraid of the South, I said no, no, no, no.

Finally I went, had a plane change in Charlotte, somehow got pick-pocketed in the airport bar, and had to make my way back to NY without any I.D. or anything.

So it is a very extremely nice offer, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to take you up on it. (Not for the reasons above, but because of relatives). But I will think about it.

You've got issues man. The South is a great place--people are very cordial. Anyway, Boss Hog is easy to bribe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Here's another evidently Shaolin-Do link. The stances look fine in this one. Some of them are even wearing CMA uniforms.

http://mullins-shaolin.com/photogall...lery/index.htm
    Lol, that's my teacher. I would be in those pictures, but I had a baby-shower that weekend.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Interesting. Here you have a fellow that is a Wushu champ and in the set you are refering to, he is actually doing the opening of Lohan Chien, then goes into the 3rd or 4th move of Fei Fu Chu Tung and adds a little Golden Tiger fist inbetween. All of these, for those of you taking notes, are considered very very simple forms and taught within the first 9 months.

I didn't notice that before, but he does pieces of these forms, move for move.

yeah even I recognized the lo han movements. startled me for a second, they got an sd guy to be on fight scence? then i realized after about a second that those movements are as common in lo han system as the name "Smith" is in the phone book.

but you know i found that whole comparison and anaolgy pretty stupid. the snake and the kung fu punch. you know id be more worried about a strike from that mohave rattler than the wushu guy. Mohave rattlesnakes are the most venomous snake in the country and who cares if the snake strike is a tad slower. its still pretty fast if you ask me.

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

wow

That's so cool!!

Thanks Bent Monk!

How the hell did I miss those things the first time it was on?

NOPE! NO CHINESE "KUNG FOO" IN SHAOLIN-DO!! IT'S KARA-TAY!
    "Let's get the hell out of here" - J. T. Kirk. in City on the Edge of Forever

"you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, PUNK?" Harry Callahan

"Mens Sana In Corpore Sano"

Follow the advice of Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly, but carry a big stick".

"Regulate the breath, and thereby control the mind."
    -- B.K.S. Iyengar

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    yeah even I recognized the lo han movements. startled me for a second, they got an sd guy to be on fight scence? then i realized after about a second that those movements are as common in lo han system as the name "Smith" is in the phone book.

but you know i found that whole comparison and anaolgy pretty stupid. the snake and the kung fu punch. you know id be more worried about a strike from that mohave rattler than the wushu guy. Mohave rattlesnakes are the most venomous snake in the country and who cares if the snake strike is a tad slower. its still pretty fast if you ask me.

TWS
    I agree......in real time which one do you thing would have the fastest reaction to a natural disturbance. For example: stepping on the snake vs slapping the wushu guy on the back of the head

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    http://iron-body.com/bboard/index.php/topic,399.0.html

Speaking of which, who's going to be in Lexington Saturday?
    I'll be there pretty much all day and will probally do an internal form demo that night...would love to meet you.