View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 238 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1381882282362372382392402482883387381238 ... LastLast
Results 3,556 to 3,570 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by TWS
    yeah even I recognized the lo han movements. startled me for a second, they got an sd guy to be on fight scence? then i realized after about a second that those movements are as common in lo han system as the name "Smith" is in the phone book.
    What is de name of de river in de land of Egypt?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

De Nile?
    This message is too short to be posted.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Just curious... How many shaolin louhan forms are taught in SD? What are the names of them? I think I've asked this before but cant remember if I got an answer.... We have 6 shaolin louhan empty hand, plus a couple two man sets, and louhan weapons, etc.... We normally start people out with louhan san zan, ba fa quan, fu hu quan, xiang lung quan, fu lung quan, etc.... Is louhan chein SD's first louhan form? Talk with u later...

Sifu Ron.
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    What is de name of de river in de land of Egypt?
    GT...If you run out of salt let me know and I'll bring you some this weekend

and what am i denying? exactly? by pointing out the commonality of that particular lo han movement? so what am i denying? oh am i denying that this is actually something that shaolin do came up with and that everyone copies them? am i denying that sd is the true and most amazing comprehensive art in the universe? uhh no. just pointing out that its a common technique, so common in fact that ANYONE even a misrepresentation of shaolin lineage can aqquire.

how about YOUR side of that river GT?

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

6. tws i would agree with you if it were 1 or 2 movements that he did.

but in fact he did nearly half of lo han chen in that set he did...plus a bit of our tiger.

i dont think that sequence of movements is common.

Quote Originally Posted by Citong Shifu View Post
    Just curious... How many shaolin louhan forms are taught in SD? What are the names of them? I think I've asked this before but cant remember if I got an answer.... We have 6 shaolin louhan empty hand, plus a couple two man sets, and louhan weapons, etc.... We normally start people out with louhan san zan, ba fa quan, fu hu quan, xiang lung quan, fu lung quan, etc.... Is louhan chein SD's first louhan form? Talk with u later...

Sifu Ron.
    I think I remember that the 30 short katas (reduced from 108 or so?) are called Lohan. Lohan chuan is the first lohan long form.

Why not post your respone over there?

Someone will stumble across this, tell bullshido, then all....breaks loose.

There are enough people on KFO with this attitude, lets not bring in BS.net.

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    I know this wasn't the best National Geographic ever offered up, but do my fellow SD peeps see anything familiar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G-dy...related&search
    Epic...lohan chien/ fei hu chu tong ...wonder where he learned it...anyone know??

Quote Originally Posted by Citong Shifu View Post

Sifu Ron.
    Lohan Chien is the only Lohan form taught in SD as far as I'm aware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

To add what I've heard to JP's statement...
    I asked a lot of questions about Lohan Chien (first form I REALLY liked in SD). I could never figure out why it was classified as "mantis" in a lot of SD literature, I just didn't see a lot of what I expected mantis to be. I was told (by senior students of senior masters) that the Lohan stuff predated mantis, and as newer systems like mantis were brought into shaolin fewer and fewer fighters wanted to specialize in Lohan. This disturbed the historic minded teachers who recalled Lohan being the "favored" specialization. There was a fear that Lohan would be lost, the answer was to make learning Lohan a prerequisite to learning mantis. Mantis was the style everyone wanted to learn, and so Lohan was preserved.

I think SD is the only system I've heard indicate in it's oral history that a style as popular as Lohan (now) was almost lost because of a lack of popularity. It's also possible (though I took it to be in China) that the "re-grouping" took place in Indonesia and Lohan was unpopular there.
    Last edited by Radhnoti; 09-15-2006 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Realized that Lohan story could refer to Indonesian timeframe...
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Lohan Chien is the only Lohan form taught in SD as far as I'm aware.
    Ask KC, he's the teacher who called short katas 'Lohan'.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaca View Post
    Ask KC, he's the teacher who called short katas 'Lohan'.

What do you mean?

what he means is that KC has mentioned that the 30 short katas in the beginning curriculum of Sd are derived from the 108 lohan steps or tan tui. its the same thing that i was told but not by him.

as the history goes it was told to me that sin the' did teach out the 108 steps but found that the american western mindset was too dense to really soak it all in, so he revised the movements and condensed them into 30 steps. apparently there were alot of "revisions" back in the early days. which accounts for some of the inconsistancies of teaching forms there.

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    what he means is that KC has mentioned that the 30 short katas in the beginning curriculum of Sd are derived from the 108 lohan steps or tan tui. its the same thing that i was told but not by him.

as the history goes it was told to me that sin the' did teach out the 108 steps but found that the american western mindset was too dense to really soak it all in, so he revised the movements and condensed them into 30 steps. apparently there were alot of "revisions" back in the early days. which accounts for some of the inconsistancies of teaching forms there.

TWS

Ok, I see. That whole short kata thing threw me off. So, is that the 12 or 14 road tan tui tao lu?