View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 274 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1742242642722732742752762843243747741274 ... LastLast
Results 4,096 to 4,110 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Since Flying Monkey opened the door I'll walk in.

I didn't want this to escalate into a flame thread because of what I say about this guy but the die is cast...so here it goes. I agree with what Flying Monkey said. His behind was sticking out way too much and his back was arched to a degree unseen in TCMA. The behind sticking out and arched back is very common in PRC Wushu. Longfist styles have wide stancework. Stances are also much deeper then other Chinese styles. However, you do not arch your back and stick out your behind if you are doing a traditional style, even if it is a Longfist. The back should remain straight and the behind in. You may lean forward, especially in a deep and wide stance, but the back doesn't arch and the behind stays in. IMO, it is much more difficult to do it the traditional way then to stick the behind out and arch the back. In fact, it's a common mistake you see in many students. A good teacher will correct it. That is, unless you are taking PRC Wushu. Then that’s the way to go.

Ok, time to dodge the vegetables.
    Last edited by The Xia; 10-10-2006 at 06:09 PM.

That's all well and good guys, but I was asking about the structure of the forms themselves not the angle of the back or butt on the horse stance. I understand that the forms were edited etc., but do the structure of the two forms offend any of your concepts of CMA.

FM I think you have answered this, but Xia hasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

From what little I watched of the form, he seems to be doing it in a PRC Wushu way. The whole arched back, butt-out is a giveaway that it isn't traditional. Check out other PRC Wushu videos and you'll see it in there. A stance done in the way demonstrated by Alex Huynh (The PRC Wushu way) looks far more dynamic then the traditional stance. Therefore, my guess is it's done to make the person look more pleasing to the eye. Judge Pen, if you go to a Longfist school, it's likely you'll see beginner students doing this and getting corrected. Unless you are used to deep and wide stances, it relieves the stress if you stick your butt out and arch the back. Try it out and you'll see what I mean (unless you are used to deep and wide stances). Giving in to the body’s tendency to stick the behind out and arch the back is incorrect though. Therefore, students need to remove that habit. A good stance that is deep and wide will keep the back straight and the behind in. The person may lean forward though. Besides the form stuff, Alex Huynh lacks power. PRC Wushu is all about speed with no power. I don’t have enough of the form on hand to judge it point by point. The stance is glaringly PRC Wushu though. I also agree with everything Flying Monkey said about Alex Huynh. Would you like me to answer anything else Judge Pen?

By the way,
    Congratulations on the baby.
    Do you have a name yet?

let me say this. i will probably get flack from both sides. MA is a bunch of punches, kicks etc. Each martial art has a way to do these techniques. Kung fu has a wide range of punches, kicks etc. However, on the most part, kung fu has some things that are generally true about almost all of them (styles in Kung fu). JMA has some general things about its styles.

MA is a bunch of soft drinks (the liquid). Kung fu is Coca cola; KMA is mountain dew; wushu is Coke with ice (a little watered down); JMA is Sprite etc. The bottles that these soft drinks come in is what shapes them; it is what gives them their characteristics. Shaolindo reminds me of pepsi. It has some similarities to Coca cola about the taste is not the same. Now, I feel that GM The is trying to put Pepsi is a coke bottle and sell it as coke. It can fool some people, but the people who really like coke (TCMAist) can taste the difference.

I know it is corny but that is how it seems.

the xia and flying monkey

no one has answered yet as to what TCMA looks like or does not look like....because a great deal of the forms I have seen posted on the youtube site look almost,if not exactly, like the forms we do and you seem to think that they are "KUNGFU"...so what is the dif?

There have not been any videos posted of what you guys consider to be good Shaolin Do. If someone posts some videos of what he considers to be good Shaolin Do we can compare.
    Last edited by The Xia; 10-10-2006 at 09:35 PM.

I don't know what the hell that was.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    From what little I watched of the form, he seems to be doing it in a PRC Wushu way. The whole arched back, butt-out is a giveaway that it isn't traditional. Check out other PRC Wushu videos and you'll see it in there. A stance done in the way demonstrated by Alex Huynh (The PRC Wushu way) looks far more dynamic then the traditional stance. Therefore, my guess is it's done to make the person look more pleasing to the eye. Judge Pen, if you go to a Longfist school, it's likely you'll see beginner students doing this and getting corrected. Unless you are used to deep and wide stances, it relieves the stress if you stick your butt out and arch the back. Try it out and you'll see what I mean (unless you are used to deep and wide stances). Giving in to the body’s tendency to stick the behind out and arch the back is incorrect though. Therefore, students need to remove that habit. A good stance that is deep and wide will keep the back straight and the behind in. The person may lean forward though. Besides the form stuff, Alex Huynh lacks power. PRC Wushu is all about speed with no power. I don’t have enough of the form on hand to judge it point by point. The stance is glaringly PRC Wushu though. I also agree with everything Flying Monkey said about Alex Huynh. Would you like me to answer anything else Judge Pen?

By the way,
    Congratulations on the baby.
    Do you have a name yet?

Thanks man. No name yet.

Xia, I understand what you are saying, but it still seems that you are complaining of the performance and not the form. I'm asking about the form not the incorrect way someone may be doing stances. I can show you the same form, but its going to have all the things that I do wrong go along with it (my stances are the best and my flexibility is horrible so I compensate in incorrect ways sometimes to do a particular form). The performance isn't the point--its the structure of the set that I'm asking about.....were the techniques cma, ima, jma or other?

FM, if you'd use a whiskey analogy, I'd follow it better. Funny thing is here in TN, everything is called a Coke--literally. "What kind of Coke do you want?" "Sprite."
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by sunfist View Post
    No. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    FM, if you'd use a whiskey analogy, I'd follow it better. Funny thing is here in TN, everything is called a Coke--literally. "What kind of Coke do you want?" "Sprite."
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Its the same with martial arts: Everything is karate, TKD or tai chi. "What kind of karate do you do?" "kung fu"

How about...

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    There have not been any videos posted of what you guys consider to be good Shaolin Do. If someone posts some videos of what he considers to be good Shaolin Do we can compare.
    ..you posting a video of you doing a form or two, seeing as you are such an expert on what is and is not shaolin and / or kung fu and /or TCMA ,and let us all decide as to whether it is or is not shaolin or kung fu or TCMA....then one of us will do the same ...only seems fair....you seem to be leading the charge here and quite frankly you have proven nothing other than you are a keyboard martial artist who lives vicariously through others and has no skills of their own to speak of other than talking SH*T!!! You are overly critical of others , biased, lack any depth or openmindedness and continue to talk in circles about the same SH*T over and over ....I think you should put up or shut up !!!!

like I said before.....

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Thanks man. No name yet.

Xia, I understand what you are saying, but it still seems that you are complaining of the performance and not the form. I'm asking about the form not the incorrect way someone may be doing stances. I can show you the same form, but its going to have all the things that I do wrong go along with it (my stances are the best and my flexibility is horrible so I compensate in incorrect ways sometimes to do a particular form). The performance isn't the point--its the structure of the set that I'm asking about.....were the techniques cma, ima, jma or other?

he does the moves like a blue belt ...but they are clearly TCMA techniques....Xia trying to dismiss them as modern wushu is just crazy...seeing as these forms have been done in SD for at least what at 30-40 years.....

15. www.dhao-lin.com

good forms on the vid there imo:

green dragon broadsword...he is doing it a bit slow but the stance work and control are awesome.

chainwhip broadsword: awesome weapon control

the staff form (pong) by jr: great stances great kicks great control

there are a couple others but those are my favorites. again all of the forms are done slower than what you people call real kung fu but we do that so each little nuance is shown.

as far as snap and power. well most of the demo people had done testing that weekend as well as learning a new form so all of them were a bit worn out at the point the demos were done.

if you want to see some of us o film then post yourselves doing a form and one of us will gladly post a similar form for comparison.

to be honest i think this post is silly anymore.

it has been proven that what we do is not made up. a wushu champ does some of our material.

other original kung fu forms show stuff that we do.

our kung fu took a more colorful route in reaching america so it has a different flavor. but it is kung fu nonetheless