View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 276 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1762262662742752762772782863263767761276 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    First off, let me start out by saying that I'm only judging the bit of the form I watched from Alex Huynh, not any of the other stuff shown on that clip. From what I see, is it a TCMA form? I'd say it was (from what little I saw). Was it performed in a traditional manner? Nope. It screamed contemporary Wushu to me. His stance was one of the biggest giveaways. Doing what he did doesn't generate power and doesn't provide a stable stance. That's why you will not see it from a skilled traditionalist. Contemporary Wushu is all about aesthetics. A skilled contemporary Wushu player has a lot of speed, flexibility, and agility. They are tremendous athletes. However, it is not martial arts. They have a complete lack of power, applications are unheard of, etc. There is nothing martial about it. Contemporary Wushu takes martial forms and strips it of everything martial while dazzling it up. That is what I saw in the brief clip of Alex Huynh's performance. It may be a traditional form, but it didn't look like it was done traditional to me. It looked like contemporary Wushu. I didn't see power, the stance work was off, etc.
    This is your best post yet....I agree with your take on the clip & you didn't repeat the words of FLM it was your own words...you've earned my respect

Baqualin

Hey I will help you I can Video tape it this w/e if you want and convert it to DVD and post it I will be there for the monkey seminar let me know KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

I posted my opinion because of a request by Judge Pen. I knew I’d get some flack for it. Instead of asking yourself if I am qualified to say such things, ask yourself if you have issues with any of the content of my post. If you do have a disagreement, we can discuss it, so long as you do not use diversionary tactics and are not insulting.

I will elaborate on that stance.

You may be wondering why I am preoccupied with mentioning that stance as evidence for Huynh doing PRC Wushu and not TCMA. It is because it is a mistake often made by complete, first time ever doing martial arts, beginners. Let's look at what is wrong with it. As I said before, when performing a stance that is deep and wide, the untrained body's natural tendency is to stick the behind out and arch the back. It relieves the stress generated by the stance. Let's examine why this is wrong. First, let's state the obvious, good Kung Fu isn't easy. Doing stances correctly may be difficult, but it conditions you. If the stance is done in the way which I criticize, the practitioner will not become properly conditioned for the style. Now, let's look at the martial weaknesses of doing the stance in the manner demonstrated by Huynh. Flying Monkey pointed out that it lacks power. This is true. The most powerful punches come from using the whole body in synch. Power can be derived from the hips and shoulders. Try doing the stance in Huynh's manner. Now try generating power. You'll see what I mean. Next, the stance isn't stable. It's wobbly. Many old school teachers corrected repeated mistakes of wobbly stances by sweeping the student to the ground. Try that stance, and ask yourself if you can be easily swept. Once again, you'll see what I mean. The stance done in the manner demonstrated by Huynh may be aesthetically pleasing, but it is not martial. It's a red flag that the person is either a traditionalist that needs work, someone with a bad teacher, or a contemporary Wushu artist.
    Last edited by The Xia; 10-11-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    Please elaborate.
    I will try.

Master Matt Small's broad sword was not good. He is a master, but he is showing poor right and left hand technique. The left hand has a job went doing broad sword. It should be moving most of the time. However, I noticed it stays in front of his chest. One important thing is that the technique where he wraps the sword around his back then up over his shoulder is wrong. The slashes and thrusts are wrong too. There are almost no stances in that form except for a cat and halfass bow stance once in a while.

As for Abram Tamez, I have never seen the form he is doing, so I cannot comment on the on the pattern. However, his stances are terrible (kind of like my spelling at times). The movements were strange at best.

And the guy wearing the rice farmer hat in the background while Abram was doing his form need an ass kicking.

I am at work now some I will comment later.

just what I thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    What is your obsession with The Xia posting forms? I basically agree with everything he states. However, you do not badger me to post forms of myself. It does not matter if he is a master or just someone who studies CMA has a hobby and does not practice. Everything he is writing is true.

His questions go unanswered. His opinions are ignored. Which I feel is unfortunate for the people who do not listen.
    ...why not post some then?? it does matter if he is some bull sh*t talking keyboard martialartist or a real authentic martialartist...you can not sit on the sidelines and judge or criticize without actual experience..if you are and alcoholic and you wanted to recover who would you trust to help you.... an actual recovered alcoholic or someone who have studied this type of behavior from a book and videoswith no personal experience????get a clue...

his questions have been answered and he has chossen to ignore them...this means that he is too ignorant or stupid to see the truth ...this goes for you as well ......all we have heard from him( and you) is his(your) opinion....... and you know what they say ...opinions are like a$$holes.......everyones got one...but all I hear is ****s and all I can smell is $hit!!!

Lmao!!

I will try.

Master Matt Small's broad sword was not good. He is a master, but he is showing poor right and left hand technique. The left hand has a job went doing broad sword. It should be moving most of the time. However, I noticed it stays in front of his chest. One important thing is that the technique where he wraps the sword around his back then up over his shoulder is wrong. The slashes and thrusts are wrong too. There are almost no stances in that form except for a cat and halfass bow stance once in a while.

As for Abram Tamez, I have never seen the form he is doing, so I cannot comment on the on the pattern. However, his stances are terrible (kind of like my spelling at times). The movements were strange at best.

And the guy wearing the rice farmer hat in the background while Abram was doing his form need an ass kicking.

and why is this not kung fu?? I know why it is not ...but it has nothing to do with the form...like I said when these forms were first presented it is the performers and not the contents of the form... these are authentic chinese shaolin forms.. the techniques, no matter how badly they are performed, are clearly chinese in origin!!!they are in forms that have been posted on this forum ....so explain that...and not some bull sh*t half a$$ed explanation either!!!

oh and by the way....

I will try.

abram is suppose to be performing tiger crane duet form and he is doing it awfully!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Hey I will help you I can Video tape it this w/e if you want and convert it to DVD and post it I will be there for the monkey seminar let me know KC
    Bring your camera!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    abram is suppose to be performing tiger crane duet form and he is doing it awfully!!!
    I didn't even recognize it.

Monkey style

Hey Baqualin, how many monkey forms are there in shaolin-do? Also missed you in class today.

Talking Lmao!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    I didn't even recognize it.
    if it was not for the name ..nor would I have!!!

The gloves are off. The post that got me banned.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    and why is this not kung fu?? I know why it is not ...but it has nothing to do with the form...like I said when these forms were first presented it is the performers and not the contents of the form... these are authentic chinese shaolin forms.. the techniques, no matter how badly they are performed, are clearly chinese in origin!!!they are in forms that have been posted on this forum ....so explain that...and not some bull sh*t half a$$ed explanation either!!!
    It is not kung fu. The things you know about kung fu can fit on the back of a matchbook.

What you posted (your comments) is garbage. Swinging Chinese weapons around does not make it kung fu. So what if the pattern is the same. They are done so poorly one cannot tell which form it is suppose to be. These forms are not done properly. If these are "black belts", then that says a lot about SD.

GM Sin The might of knew kung fu before, but he does not know it now. He is not teaching it.

You are corny and I am tired of you. You are probably in that video.

I tired to debate with other SD guys calmly and everything went well. As soon as you start posting, things got messed up for both sides. You are not helping SD at all.

The weapon forms in that video were ghastly. I won't trust those guys with a potato gun let alone a live blade.

The hand forms showed little understanding of CMA basics. They looked like they learned from a retard in tights.

To the other SD guys: I am sorry. I thought we were doing well in trying to understand each other and trying to get to the bottom of what SD is, what kung fu is and what CMA is. However, tattooedmonk has to put his 2 cent in that hurts SD more than helps. So I am sorry for this post that is out of my character.

To Gene:

If you want to ban me, that is your choice. And I am sorry you feel that way. However, the fact that you didn't ban Tattooed monk months ago troubles me. He has been rude, disrespectful and he posts comments that are baiting people into arguments.

I will try.

HAHAHAHAHA. You hit 2/3 on the dot.

Sorry, MS actually does good stance work. He is usually very picky. Picky to the point he can be an ......! I still wonder who picks the vids.

FM next time send it in a PM. You raise valid points IMO. That is why you aren't getting beat down.

The XIA posts come across as angryr so, he gets more attention.

Basically, you sound like you doubt but, you are seriously trying to get answers.

The Xia, for the most part, sounds like he is flaming. No offense XIA.

Hey, put TTM on ignore. I like your posts.

Me angry? Me flaming?

I have exercised a lot of self-restraint, even before Gene's warnings (notice how I dealt with tattooedmonk calling me an idiot?). I left the thread for awhile and returned only to bring to light that Alex Huynh isn't without criticism. Then, I was asked what I think of Alex Huynh's form performance on that clip. I answered the question, which came from the rational and friendly Judge Pen, despite the fact that I knew some on this thread would ignore the content of the post and look to the poster. Alex Huynh has nothing to do with Shaolin Do. Therefore, whatever I say about his performance on the clip should be fair game according to the new rules. There was no flaming involved. I was politely asked a question and I politely responded. Judge Pen, who asked the question, didn't make any comments about my post being a flame post. The one whom I answered the question for didn’t take issue with me. Those who did take issue with what I said, I expected that. However, I answered because Judge Pen asked me. Besides commentary on Alex Huynh’s form, I stated a fair point, "There have not been any videos posted of what you guys consider to be good Shaolin Do. If someone posts some videos of what he considers to be good Shaolin Do we can compare." I see nothing flaming about that post. It was, however, met with tattooedmonk's insulting replies, which I ignored.
    Last edited by The Xia; 10-11-2006 at 11:26 PM.

15. what type of form should we present here for you all?