View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 278 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1782282682762772782792802883283787781278 ... LastLast
Results 4,156 to 4,170 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Fei jiao View Post
    Power oriented?
    What makes you think power has to be stiff? What makes you think soft and fluid means powerless? Those are concepts that are hard to grasp unless you've taught by a traditional Chinese martial arts master.

We are taught fluidity and softness by GMS and upper level masters within the system...you can't generate fai jing by being stiff...these concepts are hard to grasp period...most students in SD only have a few hours a week to practice and we all know this will not turn you into a world champion....most people are not like a few of us on here, they have a life outside of MA it's only a hobby for them & thats all they want, but guess what they pay the bills so we can have a gym to study in & a teacher to teach.

So you agree that SDers aren't CMAers?

Your starting to sound like a politician...didn't see that at all from his statement

Golden Tiger
    As to the material itsself. I thought it was funny how while the newer stuff they did was extremely close to what we do, the older things like Tiger-Crane, pang lung pang, tang lang chien, hua chien..etc, weren't even close. They were done ok I guess, but it was not close to the way that Master Sin taught them out, and I learned them when he taught them out. [QUOTE]

I slightly disagree......Chen Tai Chi, Chen Tai Chi fan, Yang Tai Chi Broad Sword and Budda Fist were nothing like what I was taught

I slightly agree...those videos are a cross section of SD in general as GT said, but not the heart of SD...all the tools to become a TCMA's are there in SD, it's just up to the individual to what direction he pursues

The differences need to be left alone. I will say this most of the East SD is uniform. Not all but many of the people I encountered in the East do things similar.

Due to a myriad of different reasons the West went out of control. Which led to some major shake ups as they(MS & SS) tried (try) to regain control.

Basically, anyone with about 12-15 years (or longer) will look similar to the East.

Also, rank doesn't denote years out west. Not going to rehash the past but, some you older guys know what I'm talking about. One of the above mentioned people in FM's post is a prime example.

Thanks for the info, Judge Pen.

It makes a lot more sense now...

Green Cloud
    As a traditionalist I'd have to say that these forms are kempo and as kempo does they have borrowed stuff from a lot of styles. For instance the Broad sword play resemled the movements of a machety not a traditional Dan Dao[QUOTE]

Your absolutely correct but that isn't how the form should be performed....once again most of these guys in the vid are not professionals...just everyday people having fun....it's hard to train over a thousand people scattered all over the country with different instructors to look like Jet Li

Quote Originally Posted by godzillakungfu View Post
    The differences need to be left alone. .

Also, rank doesn't denote years out west. Not going to rehash the past but, some you older guys know what I'm talking about. One of the above mentioned people in FM's post is a prime example.
    Practice what you preach...we don't need to open that can of worms BQ

The can of worms was actually opened with the East vs West differences.

Hey, didn't say specific names. Just giving an example like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by godzillakungfu View Post
    The can of worms was actually opened with the East vs West differences.

Hey, didn't say specific names. Just giving an example like everyone else.
    Just joking with you....I not happy with a lot the performances or politics I see in the east including some of my own. Most of that is due to the size we've grown...which after 40 years of cranking out MA's it kinda explains everything if you open your eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post

Your starting to sound like a politician...didn't see that at all from his statement
    That's because you pasted the wrong statement to which I was responding (come on guys!!!)

Judge Pen said : "The Pa Kua form is as real as it gets. It is taught more rigid then CMA people perform it."

To which I said: So you agree that SDers aren't CMAers?

Get it? More rigid than CMA people, implying that SDers aren't CMA people.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fei jiao View Post
    That's because you pasted the wrong statement to which I was responding (come on guys!!!)

Judge Pen said : "The Pa Kua form is as real as it gets. It is taught more rigid then CMA people perform it."

To which I said: So you agree that SDers aren't CMAers?

Get it? More rigid than CMA people, implying that SDers aren't CMA people.
    that was not implied at all. he was simply saying we are taught it differently than others

reaching a bit on that one werent you?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I think that the forms were CMA and I think that the way they have been taught and passed down through Indonesia and then in America have given them their own unique flavor. Like the difference between Scotch Whisky and Bourbon Whiskey.
    Ok, so you agree that the Sd forms aren't Shaolin Kung fu in it's original form. In other words it's modified, like Kuntao (as someone mentioned).

The thing is, Kuntao people don't deny that their stuff isn't chinese. Only influenced by chinese martial arts. So if it took a different flavor through Indonesia and America do we agree that it isn't pure CMA anymore?

(Don't want to sound like a politician, just try to see if I understood you right)

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    that was not implied at all. he was simply saying we are taught it differently than others

reaching a bit on that one werent you?
    I don't believe so. He was talking about the way Pa kua was taught in SD in comparison to CMA people. When you make a comparison between two things, isn't is implying they're different from each other?

13. well i was taught geometry differently than my son is ...so does that mean it is no longer geometry?

Oh boy!

So to your son a triangle isn't the same as a triangle to you?

p.s. I understand that you just don't want to understand

15. no you miss my point as i expected

because something is taught differently it does not make it any less real or authentic