View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 295 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1952452852932942952962973053453957951295 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,425 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    Tis better to receive than give 'cept where a$$ whoopins are involved
    Nice to see your still alive...you kinda disappeared when we started talking about a gathering.

One thing I don't understand here.

This particular thread has 40 times more responses than any thread that I see on this forum. Logically shouldn't just the volume here warrent the creation of a separate Shao-lin Do forum?

Or are the people who hate SD preventing that from happening?

Gene, would you please start a seperate thread for Shaolin-Do, as was mentioned by the previous poster?

This thread could have been divided into several different threads and I think would have made more sense in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by sunfist View Post
    Dont forget saturnalia, orgies ahoy!

However the question is, if jesus and master sin attended the same orgy -thus having a chance to compare- who would have the more sizeable equpiment?
    Man, that's wrong on so many levels.... At least MK is funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I don't think a sperate Sd forum will happen here. At one time Master Garry had a seperate forum that really took off, but, as Gene will attest, once a forum gets large enough, it gets to be quite the chore moderating it and keeping it family friendly. That's not a big deal on a forum like this involving a widely circulated magazine on all things Kung Fu, but it can be a problem if your income is dependant on students coming in the door. My understanding is the forum came down because of fear of alienating business.

Heck, even MK posted in the old Mullins forum.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    One thing I don't understand here.

This particular thread has 40 times more responses than any thread that I see on this forum. Logically shouldn't just the volume here warrent the creation of a separate Shao-lin Do forum?

Or are the people who hate SD preventing that from happening?
    No.

JP forgot to add that this a multiple merged thread.

If I recall there were possibly 3-4 different threads combined to form this one. Also, unfortunately they all turned into "Is Shaolin-Do for real."

So, it would be a waste of a subforum. Sorry guys no offense meant.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Heck, even MK posted in the old Mullins forum.
    I miss the Mullins forum. Lots of lively, good natured discussion with like minded folks. I was 'Muffins' over there, I tried to resurrect the same one here, but couldn't remember the password.

Elder Master Mullins

you know that he has his own group on my space called shaolin the mullins way......or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    you know that he has his own group on my space called shaolin the mullins way......or something like that

It was started by one of his students, but it isnt' his group nor is it linked to on his web-page.

Munchkins

Hey JP,
    6 days until the pumpkin bust ...I want a good cigar.
    BQ

I don't think much (if anything) was merged into this thread. People have just posted here as a courtesy to keep all the SD stuff to one thread.
    I always wondered about EXACTLY why everyone non-Mullins was banished from that forum. Several folks from SD schools I had contact with thought it was an order from on high...responding to either the ex-SDer who now teaches Straight Blast gym stuff and posted there, or the general willingness to question SD history (which might be considered rude in retrospect on an SD forum).

JP - "At least MK is funny."

Did you mean to end that with "looking", "smelling" or "ish"?
    Just kidding, MK cracks me up. He has the all time funniest line on this forum in my opinion.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhnoti View Post
    I always wondered about EXACTLY why everyone non-Mullins was banished from that forum.
    Many reasons. As JP mentioned the biggest reason was keeping content family safe, there were alot of small children on the forum, etc. It was a problem to keep up with it. The other reasons varied, but they all kept coming back to things being said that were out of line or disrespectful. These things were said by people in the Mullins camp, by other SDrs and people from outside SD that were our guests. This caused a great deal of disparity and discouragement. Everyone was to blame and Master Mullins had the plug pulled. If you've met Master Mullins you'd understand, he's a first class guy and if things start to slip to second class he doesn't waste time shoring up the edges, if the edges can't be shored he breaks out the weedeater.

On a personal note, I too miss that forum. There was alot of good discussion and fun had there and I appreicate everyone that was there Mullins/SD/None-SD etc. for alot of good times. This probably is another case of the fun of many being destroyed by the stupidity of the few.

JP: Does that cover it about right?

-Will
    Last edited by wdl; 10-25-2006 at 03:43 PM.
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

let's define traditional Chinese martial arts.......

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    There's no real proof of the history of SD prior to Sin The coming to America other than the word of the man himself (which means little to nothing to most here).

http://www.squatmagazine.com/article...d=11&issueId=1

let's define traditional Chinese martial arts...

"Who would win in a fight between a UFC fighter and a Shaolin monk?" Even as a disclosed Shaolin advocate, I have nonetheless conceded that an average Shaolin monk would lose. So the warm-up round goes to UFC. However, what if the Shaolin monk is not one of these average modern-wushu monks, but one of the few monks that know the traditional Shaolin arts? Now that, my friends, would be a totally different scenario altogether.

First, let's define traditional Chinese martial arts. This is not such an easy task. What are traditional martial arts? Where are we to draw the line to divide what is a traditional technique from what is a modern one? Are some techniques more traditional than others?

Some people define "traditional" as "old". They, hence, say the further back a particular technique dates back, the more traditional it is. This, to me, is questionable. Following that train of thought, the most traditional incarnation of martial arts is when our caveman ancestors ran out of their caves to throw sticks and rocks at one another. The various martial arts were created and then edited and refined by generations of people practising. So how is it possible to draw a line and say, "Before this is traditional and after this is modern"? A good illustration of this is tai chi: the exact origins of tai chi are not clear, but it is generally thought they date back well over 1000 years. However, many of the more common tai-chi styles are no more than two centuries old. Who can argue that these are not as valid?

Similarly, Shaolin practitioners are constantly embroiled in the what-is-traditional-what-is-modern debate. To me, and for the purpose of our Shaolin-versus-UFC scenario, traditional martial arts are those techniques that predate modern wushu—systems painstakingly developed by devotees over centuries, in which forms are inseparable from the techniques they train.

To confuse matters further, Shaolin people argue over what are genuine Shaolin martial arts and what are not. It is, of course, all a matter of opinion. It is impossible to define what "Shaolin" martial arts actually are. For example, one can say that martial arts that originate from the Shaolin Temple are called "Shaolin" martial arts. That seems simple enough. However, over time, people naturally came and went from the temple. Therefore, martial arts practised in the temple one year may not have been trained there a few years later. Also, people learnt techniques from the temple, left and created their own systems. People brought new techniques from other styles into the temple. Monks themselves created techniques that differed from their colleagues. People came, learned, changed, left, developed, edited, moved... This is why it is impossible to unequivocally define what "Shaolin" martial arts are.

Then why are so many martial-art systems all vying to be called the "Shaolin" martial arts? Why does it matter, after all, whether a system is "Shaolin" or not? It seems a bit pedantic to be arguing which system is the most "Shaolin". Does it even matter? Perhaps Hong Kong cinema has made Shaolin martial arts fashionable—and more lucrative.
    Last edited by ricardocameron; 10-26-2006 at 05:28 AM. Reason: url
    "Let's get the hell out of here" - J. T. Kirk. in City on the Edge of Forever

"you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, PUNK?" Harry Callahan

"Mens Sana In Corpore Sano"

Follow the advice of Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly, but carry a big stick".

"Regulate the breath, and thereby control the mind."
    -- B.K.S. Iyengar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ricardocameron View Post
    http://www.squatmagazine.com/article...d=11&issueId=1

Then why are so many martial-art systems all vying to be called the "Shaolin" martial arts? Why does it matter, after all, whether a system is "Shaolin" or not? It seems a bit pedantic to be arguing which system is the most "Shaolin". Does it even matter? Perhaps Hong Kong cinema has made Shaolin martial arts fashionable—and more lucrative.
    IMHO cinema has done more damage to MA then anything else. Potential students go to a studio beliving that what they see in the movies is what it is really like, then when they find out that it is not and that it takes hard work and dedication, they walk. Don't get me wrong, I like a good MA movie, I thnk Tony Jaa is the bomb!

My kuing fu brother and I were invited to play some vollyball with my son and his friends once and they were disappointed that we weren't doing jumping spinning kicks to hit the ball and such. They found out we were just regular guys that aren't very good at vollyball.