View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 300 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2002502902982993003013023103504008001300 ... LastLast
Results 4,486 to 4,500 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Question

What is "CSC"?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    What is "CSC"?
    Chinese Shao-Lin Center.

http://www.shao-lin.com/index.cfm

For some reason the Soards use CSC instead of SD.

Just curious, is there some sort of split between the Soards and the other Elder Masters under GM The' that operate under SD vs. CSC?

It's interesting following this thread but one thing comes up continually with the non-SD peeps that hasn't really been addressed by the SD group. SD proponents like to relate to the Shaolin training of the past. The difference between now and then is that the multitude of styles was taught in the past by multiple teachers who specialized in those styles.

In contrast todays teaching of multiple styles comes form only one source. Hence the argument that one person cannot maintain the essence of multiple, sometime opposing styles.

Now, I've seen references where some SD teachers have gone on and specialized in one or two styles but still the source is one man. Unless some of them take their training outside of SD and gain the essence from other instructors of the styles of interest.

Can someone elaborate on how it is that the different styles have the detail needed for an in-depth training regimen?

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Archer View Post
    First of all to the TKD student in Golden. Don't sell CSC short just yet, and perhaps you might want to read this forum a little more in depth. I know there is a lot of crap to wade through on this forum, but there is also some very intelligent discourse as well, both from SD or CSC students & their antagonists. I read through many pages of crap & mudslinging before I got to anything intelligent or objective. As far as mass absorption of material goes that is not the focus at CSC-Denver or any other CSC or SD school.
    I appreciate your concern but I read plenty enough in depth and waded through the crap just fine. I don't have an emotional attachment one way or the other and feel I can make an unbiased assessment of my own on this whole topic. I'm not interested (at least not today) in diving into the details of my assessment of SD/CSC, but I've read enough to realize CSC/SD isn't what I'm looking for - it's just not for me. I may still check the place out before making a decision particularly given the low cost, but it's looking less and less likely.

Also one who is a master of all & no style will beat a comparable master of a single style based on his/her unpredictibility & flexibility to adapt. This is your ultimate goal as a martial artist, to transcend all styles, be one with the self, and have no style, but that which suits your body, tepmerament, & situation/opponent at a given moment in time. This goal is facilitated by being exposed to a variety of technique.
    This is not my goal. It hints at my goal, but in no way embodies what I am truly seeking. Frankly, I think it's a bit pompous to assume that we all have the same goal and that you can define it for us all.

And so the Lull ends. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Too Zen I Suppose

On the question of Masters Soard and GM SKT, they are very close, there is no split between them. As far as the difference in name I have my opinion on that, but I will ask them personally.

If I have somehow offended or seem "pompous" due to my use of the possessive "your", my apologies. I assume that on a practical level most serious martial artists have as a goal, relative to their fighting skills, of being able to effectively defend themselves or their loved ones in any possible situation against any aggressor they may encounter. As well for most of us it is also a way to stay healthy & physically fit. My indication of an ultimate goal as a martial artist was of the highest level of that fighting ability. I don't presume, QuackenBush, to know what your goals are as an individual. I only generalized for martial artists wishing to advance to the highest levels of ability. Shao-lin is a way of living that applies to all aspects of your life not just the martial arts, so perhaps it would be helpful for me & others to specify whether referring to combat skills only or referring to the other aspects of Shao-lin Kung Fu as well when posting or responding.

Yao Sing, yours is a valid question. First of all, Shao-lin is a 1,500 + years old tradition, which had tremendous practical, social & cultural reasons to evolve as it did. We do not presume in SD that we are exactly as the monks of old, though on many occasions visiting or interacting with actual Shao-lin monks of today they have done various forms and styles exactly move for move as ours are taught.

Shao-lin as taught by SD was almost lost, and due to the vision of certain monks it was taught in its entirety to three succeding and very gifted individuals in an effort to preserve it for the future. SD as it exists in this country is less than 40 years old. It takes some time to rebuild from scratch an entire system of styles and temples. I believe that as generations pass we will begin to have many gifted senior masters with 30 & 40 years plus in the art. Many of these will have specialties, and when wishing to specialize in a given area, one will be able to seek out a certain master if economically feasible for that student, and train with a specific master specializing in a given style.

As far as claiming that GM could not be an expert in everything that he teaches, I will give you this. I'm sure there are areas in which he has more skill and detail than others.

Historically Shao-lin was always an exchange of information between various temples, martial artists, and even lay martial artists who were not Shao-lin themselves. It is a growing, living thing. If there is an area of Shao-lin which you wish to specialize in I see no conflict, if you find a gifted master specializing in that area, with leaving SD or your school & training with this particular Master for a time. In fact many of the most gifted Shao-lin who were actually creators of styles exchanged information and trained with many masters through their lifetime as well as spending months and years in observation of nature.

One other thing, it was recommended in the Shao-lin temples of old that you be open to learning from all sources just as it is in our schools today. It is suggested to learn as much as possible from all martial arts available to you. This has always been how Shao-lin evolves & grows. I find many effective training techniques descended from other Shao-lin lineages (and even other non Shao-lin styles) that are not shown in my school and am not afraid to incorporate them into my training.

On a personal note I first trained in Tae Kwon Do, then in Karate, and am a voracious absorber of technique and info regarding anything I deem valid to incorporate into my fighting style. I say it again, proper training in the basics is the single most important aspect of applying all martial arts, and that is the area most frequently neglected in every school existing in the West.

Much love to all. May you find enlightenment.

Time to train some more!

You guys need to quit getting Shaolin history from movies and dime store novels....

Congrats Jp, I been off and on here and missed the birth of your child. They really do grow up too fast as you will find out.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I have ADD so these long posts don't hold my attention. Well, neither does this thread
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

It's expected BM2.

How long did you think this period of non-Shaolin Do talk would last? I was expecting someone to swoop in and get the wheels rolling again.

On the question of Masters Soard and GM SKT, they are very close, there is no split between them. As far as the difference in name I have my opinion on that, but I will ask them personally.

If I have somehow offended or seem "pompous" due to my use of the possessive "your", my apologies. I assume that on a practical level most serious martial artists have as a goal, relative to their fighting skills, of being able to effectively defend themselves or their loved ones in any possible situation against any aggressor they may encounter. As well for most of us it is also a way to stay healthy & physically fit. My indication of an ultimate goal as a martial artist was of the highest level of that fighting ability. I don't presume, QuackenBush, to know what your goals are as an individual. I only generalized for martial artists wishing to advance to the highest levels of ability. Shao-lin is a way of living that applies to all aspects of your life not just the martial arts, so perhaps it would be helpful for me & others to specify whether referring to combat skills only or referring to the other aspects of Shao-lin Kung Fu as well when posting or responding.

Yao Sing, yours is a valid question. First of all, Shao-lin is a 1,500 + years old tradition, which had tremendous practical, social & cultural reasons to evolve as it did. We do not presume in SD that we are exactly as the monks of old, though on many occasions visiting or interacting with actual Shao-lin monks of today they have done various forms and styles exactly move for move as ours are taught.

Shao-lin as taught by SD was almost lost, and due to the vision of certain monks it was taught in its entirety to three succeding and very gifted individuals in an effort to preserve it for the future. SD as it exists in this country is less than 40 years old. It takes some time to rebuild from scratch an entire system of styles and temples. I believe that as generations pass we will begin to have many gifted senior masters with 30 & 40 years plus in the art. Many of these will have specialties, and when wishing to specialize in a given area, one will be able to seek out a certain master if economically feasible for that student, and train with a specific master specializing in a given style.

As far as claiming that GM could not be an expert in everything that he teaches, I will give you this. I'm sure there are areas in which he has more skill and detail than others.

Historically Shao-lin was always an exchange of information between various temples, martial artists, and even lay martial artists who were not Shao-lin themselves. It is a growing, living thing. If there is an area of Shao-lin which you wish to specialize in I see no conflict, if you find a gifted master specializing in that area, with leaving SD or your school & training with this particular Master for a time. In fact many of the most gifted Shao-lin who were actually creators of styles exchanged information and trained with many masters through their lifetime as well as spending months and years in observation of nature.

One other thing, it was recommended in the Shao-lin temples of old that you be open to learning from all sources just as it is in our schools today. It is suggested to learn as much as possible from all martial arts available to you. This has always been how Shao-lin evolves & grows. I find many effective training techniques descended from other Shao-lin lineages (and even other non Shao-lin styles) that are not shown in my school and am not afraid to incorporate them into my training.

On a personal note I first trained in Tae Kwon Do, then in Karate, and am a voracious absorber of technique and info regarding anything I deem valid to incorporate into my fighting style. I say it again, proper training in the basics is the single most important aspect of applying all martial arts, and that is the area most frequently neglected in every school existing in the West.

Much love to all. May you find enlightenment.

Time to train some more!
    Welcome to the machine
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Hey all, I have been giving JP some space he needs it i'm sure. I told him if he needed room to breath and wanted to w/o come on over. Anyway Tomorrow is the day we had a close call yesterday but hoped today would be the day after all it is Bruce Lees Birthday Thought of the name Leigh /aka Lee as a middle name in honor of him. So tomorrow am is the day KC
    We're all waiting
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    How long did you think this period of non-Shaolin Do talk would last? I was expecting someone to swoop in and get the wheels rolling again.
    Hey Xia,
    Glad to see your still around...hope you had a great holiday

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You guys need to quit getting Shaolin history from movies and dime store novels....
    You mean I'm not going to learn to fly like the old Shaolin monks did

Maybe we need to get Lorenzo Douche back on here to stir things up